Bad DT Alert....

Green P1

I have always said that it's the "intangibles" about a QB that matter, rather than the gawdy stats. I wasn't at the game (looking after my grandson) but I'm told that Sosa was heads and shoulders above DT, and the thing that was conveyed to me the most was his confidence and unshakable ability to make plays when he needed to. No amount of rushing or blitzing got him off his game.And he was clearly the leader of his team. THAT is the intangiblle. DT, can run up all the numbers he wants against Tulsa, but he will never have "IT".

And the same goes for coaching staffs that can (or in this case cannot) get their teams ready for games that really matter.

I understand, but I could say the same about your anti-DT post. How does he set the records he set being so bad? He doesn't, but he is an easy target. We do need to upgrade at QB, but he is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. I would say the "lack of development" argument us shared by DT and Chico.

Because he's played so long. He's an average to below average qb who has played as long as anyone else at that position and the career records for our university are embarrassing. Soza is their first qb ever and he is above or right behind dt in these categories.

Several big drops. A Brelan 3rd down drop and a Jimmerson TD drop were both huge.

I don't remember the chancellor pass, but the jimmerson pass over his outside shoulder towards out of bounds as opposed to his inside shoulder where it should of been. Could it have been caught? Yes. Easy catch? No. Good throw? No. Edited by Green Crazy

I don't remember the chancellor pass, but the jimmerson pass over his outside shoulder towards out of bounds as opposed to his inside shoulder where it should of been. Could it have been caught? Yes. Easy catch? No. Good throw? No.

Exactly. That's what I meant by saying it could be counted as a drop, but as a qb you take at least half of the responsibility on that drop because you didn't put the ball where it was supposed to be.

From my roommate and I's observations, we have both noticed that Derek Thompson has not played well at all the past few weeks. This fact has fortunately been covered up by the way our defense and special teams have played. No, the defense did not play as well as we have been assumed to lately, but overall they held UTSA to just over our season average for number of points given up. The offense did not do it's job, no question about it. The play calling didn't really help much either. I'm sad that the seniors lost their home game of the season and this loss will definitely kill some of the momentum us students have built on campus the past few weeks.

For those curious, here are DT's stats the last three years. They are all very similar. Coach McCarney talked so much about how "DT needs to play better", and "a 1:1 TD:INT ratio is not good enough". There have only been three games this year where DT has thrown more TDs than INTs.

Dg2fuN2.jpg

I hope that Derek has a great last two games in his Mean Green uniform, I really do, and I know he wants better than his performance on Saturday.

What worries me though is this is the exact performance that Coach Mac said was "NOT OKAY" at the beginning of the season. Yes, it is too late for a QB change, nobody is thinking that is a real possibility, but this sort of does set the precedence that mediocre QB performance is okay.

Edited by Snowy

I know myself, Billy and others have been saying this all season. DT is a middle of the pack QB in CUSA and in the lower half of all QB's in the country. Yes he can have good games, yes he can have horrible games, but yesterday was his average self. His typical day is 17-31 for 215, 1 td 1 int. Those numbers are enough to win if you get great RB play, or points from your special teams, or turnovers from your D. But those numbers will not win you a game.

I can't wait till next season to see what Dajon or BB can bring to this offense.

I know myself, Billy and others have been saying this all season. DT is a middle of the pack QB in CUSA and in the lower half of all QB's in the country. Yes he can have good games, yes he can have horrible games, but yesterday was his average self. His typical day is 17-31 for 215, 1 td 1 int. Those numbers are enough to win if you get great RB play, or points from your special teams, or turnovers from your D. But those numbers will not win you a game.

I can't wait till next season to see what Dajon or BB can bring to this offense.

Yup, we're usually on the same page and I like to think it's the right one :)

But yes, in this day and age with the evolution of the passing game, qb, and spread offenses and such you can only mask having your qb play be your weakest link for so long. Days like this where DT is average or below average it really hurts not having an added dimension as a running qb. Qbs are going to have off days throwing, but there are really no off days athletically unless there is an injury.

Yup, we're usually on the same page and I like to think it's the right one :)

But yes, in this day and age with the evolution of the passing game, qb, and spread offenses and such you can only mask having your qb play be your weakest link for so long. Days like this where DT is average or below average it really hurts not having an added dimension as a running qb. Qbs are going to have off days throwing, but there are really no off days athletically unless there is an injury.

This isn't about the ability to run per se. This is about being a tough minded leader who calmly does whatever it takes to win.....regardless of who else on the team is having a bad day or not.

The last time we had someone as tough minded as Sosa was Scott Hall. I've told this story many times, but the LaLa game in either 01 or 03 was pure Scott Hall. LaLa kept getting good hits on Scott and they kept bringing him to the sidelines to be taped up. He would then go back out there and make plays.....not spectacular plays, but plays that kept moving the ball. Before the game was over, just about every part of him from the waist down was taped. But he kept going out there and making plays.

I'm hoping that one of the three guys coming back next year will be even half that tough minded.

So...

Do we win a bowl game if we get this type of QB play?

Do we beat Tulsa with this type of QB play?

If we lose to Tulsa will we be shunned by HOD and forced to go to Hawaii or New Orleans to play a sun belt team?

I'm happy with any bowl don't get me wrong but playing ULL + 35K Cajuns or a game in Hawaii would be a slight let down.

MTSU will be in Hawaii, FAU will beat FIU in finale to be bowl eligible and play in St. Pete, Tulane is a lock for N.O. Bowl,Loser of ECU/Marshall will play in Military Bowl in Annapolis, Winner will win C-USA and play in Memphis (most likely ECU). That leaves UTSA (don't fret they will smoke LaTech in finale),Rice, and NT for Dallas. Considering we can't even draw at home (yesterday's crowd considering what was at stake was purely pathetic)UTSA will be first choice, Rice second, and NT a distant afterthought. Even if St. Pete did not take FAU, Rice would get the nod. Face it yesterday's game and the soon to be loss to Tulsa will mean the end of season whimp out brings NT no bowl consideration. Blame DT all you want but poor officiating, contantly giving up third and long to a very mediocre team, no k/o or punt return game, absolutely no pressure from D-Line,and failure of receivers to catch the ball (sure the throws weren't perfect but if a D-1 receiver can get his hands on a ball it should be a catch--Sosa's weren't all perfect, but how many were drops?). If you think DT was alone in losing this game you must have had your head in the clouds, there is plenty of blame to go around including poor motivation skills and adjustments by the coaching staff. I was amazed that Senior Day meant nothing to these guys, but when you come out to empty stands and a crowd that would likely pass for that at a tennis match--can you blame them for mailing it in on the season?

This isn't about the ability to run per se. This is about being a tough minded leader who calmly does whatever it takes to win.....regardless of who else on the team is having a bad day or not.

I agree. DT's lack of mobility is completely secondary as to why he is an average to below average qb. I was just adding in the running factor to the conversation because I believe whoever our qb is next year, while I strongly believe they will be an improvement to our passing game, they will still have their off days.

Hopefully their off days aren't as bad as 10-24 against 2-9 UTEP or 11-24 against 2-9 FCS Texas Southern, but when they do have off days it certainly helps to still always know you have their running ability to help out your playcalling and make the opposing defensive coordinator take into account.

Anyway you look at it, I definitely prefer a mobile QB in the college game. There's just too many positive things that can happen with a mobile (often a 6 footer) college QB when things start to break down on a play. Next season I'm guessing we'll have that.

Six footer with mobility--see Riley Dodge--How did that work for you???

MTSU will be in Hawaii, FAU will beat FIU in finale to be bowl eligible and play in St. Pete, Tulane is a lock for N.O. Bowl,Loser of ECU/Marshall will play in Military Bowl in Annapolis, Winner will win C-USA and play in Memphis (most likely ECU). That leaves UTSA (don't fret they will smoke LaTech in finale),Rice, and NT for Dallas. Considering we can't even draw at home (yesterday's crowd considering what was at stake was purely pathetic)UTSA will be first choice, Rice second, and NT a distant afterthought. Even if St. Pete did not take FAU, Rice would get the nod. Face it yesterday's game and the soon to be loss to Tulsa will mean the end of season whimp out brings NT no bowl consideration. Blame DT all you want but poor officiating, contantly giving up third and long to a very mediocre team, no k/o or punt return game, absolutely no pressure from D-Line,and failure of receivers to catch the ball (sure the throws weren't perfect but if a D-1 receiver can get his hands on a ball it should be a catch--Sosa's weren't all perfect, but how many were drops?). If you think DT was alone in losing this game you must have had your head in the clouds, there is plenty of blame to go around including poor motivation skills and adjustments by the coaching staff. I was amazed that Senior Day meant nothing to these guys, but when you come out to empty stands and a crowd that would likely pass for that at a tennis match--can you blame them for mailing it in on the season?

Man, everyone's head at GMG will explode if NT loses to Tulsa and gets knocked from a bowl. That would really blow. Words couldn't describe it...

I agree with everything you said except your bowl predictions. Rice cant draw more of a crowd in DFW than we can. We have received a lot more attention this year and our story has brought back a lot of fans. Whether they came out in freezing cold weather or not, it's true.

I think you're forgetting that UTSA can't go to a bowl this year for prelim reasons.

I think DT is tough, and is a leader. I just don't think he has "it".

As far as the running Qb. It's an added dimension. If youre having an off day you can still contribute. Plus it will open up the running game for the backs as DE's will have to hold containment and won't be able to crash down the line.

Absolutely. Our line is good enough as it is, then when you add in the qb zone-read fakes serve as basically an extra blocker by making the end keep contain, our running game should improve as well.

I really am interested to see how our new qb performs with our excellent pass protecting line returning and making the defense have to scheme for a mobile qb.

I agree with everything you said except your bowl predictions. Rice cant draw more of a crowd in DFW than we can. We have received a lot more attention this year and our story has brought back a lot of fans. Whether they came out in freezing cold weather or not, it's true.

I think you're forgetting that UTSA can't go to a bowl this year for prelim reasons.

You're right. HoD officials know that and that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The bowl spots will be filled and UTSA won't be eligible to go to a bowl.

I have always said that it's the "intangibles" about a QB that matter, rather than the gawdy stats. I wasn't at the game (looking after my grandson) but I'm told that Sosa was heads and shoulders above DT, and the thing that was conveyed to me the most was his confidence and unshakable ability to make plays when he needed to. No amount of rushing or blitzing got him off his game.And he was clearly the leader of his team. THAT is the intangiblle. DT, can run up all the numbers he wants against Tulsa, but he will never have "IT".

And the same goes for coaching staffs that can (or in this case cannot) get their teams ready for games that really matter.

The last paragraph really hits it on the head. Twice we had open dates and twice we came out flat with no power to adjust to a much superior game plan with much less talented personnel. I only saw one sack all day and so many third and long conversions that I lost count. There is plenty of blame for this loss and no one player deserves any more or any less--it was a disaster on both sides of the ball and particularly on the sidelines. Case closed. Kiss 2013 good bye and find you someone else to kick around for 2014.

They will get a waiver

The Irish blood has cooled off a bit because Gray Eagle would tell you I was Dublin hot under the coller yesterday (like 99.9% of you who hate losing any more than the rest of us).

THIS:

UTSA was playing for bowl elgibility and our team had already been told that they had it. The team was not in this game and even our "usually" noisy 3'rd down crowd noise wasn't noisy at all. The UNT coaches who throw up their hands to instigate our 3'rd down crowd noice I think were later throwing up their hands at us probably thinking.........."what's the freakin' use--they just aren't into this game, either." With our constituency yesterday it was almost like.........let's hurry up and get this damn game over with so we can all go home and sit in front of a fireplace to watch Baylor and OSU get all frosted up"

DT#7 had his absolutely worst game of the of the last 2 years IMHO with more than enough time to pass but what almost every time seemed like over-throws or under-throws. I saw 3 overthrows that had 6 points written all over them with the receivers who would have caught them and know how to close the deal.

The Mean Green "D" didn't score their usual 1 TD a game yesterday, either, but I'm sure QB Sosa had much to do with that but still............you cannot take anything away from UTSA....they were hungrier for a win than we were yesterday.

We need win #8 this Saturday and I don't think we will be black-balled out of a bowl game....bowl officials know from our NO's Bowl era that we travel well. HELL! North Texas took almost 17,000 fans to a Tuesday night NO's Bowl game last decade.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If DT#7 had the same game he did against Ball State of the bowl bustin' MAC we would have beaten UTSA by 3 to 4 TD's.

But he didn't....he was way off with time to throw the ball almost all game long. You ever had a bad day at work? It happens to us all now doesn't it?

It's done...it's Tulsa time.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1