UNT's John Skladany: Staying connected

Harry

North Texas linebacker Zach Orr could hardly believe the subject his defensive coordinator brought up earlier this year.

Orr and his teammates have always marveled at the breadth of John Skladany’s knowledge when it comes to football and a whole lot else. The senior just never expected the 65-year-old college football lifer to bring up pop-culture sensation Miley Cyrus.

“He mentioned that she did something crazy,” Orr said. “We all thought, ‘What? How does he know about her?’

“That’s what makes him so special to play for — he has that connection with us. He knows the rappers we listen to and can relate to us. That’s what we find too funny. We are like, ‘Coach knows about this kind of stuff?’”

UNT’s players realized long ago that Skladany knows a lot about football — particularly defense — in addition to what might be on their girlfriends’ MP3 players. It’s Skladany’s football knowledge and his ability to connect with his players that have allowed him to lead a defensive renaissance at UNT that is at the heart of its turnaround season.

UNT hasn’t allowed more than 16 points in a game while ripping off five straight victories heading into a game against Texas-San Antonio on Saturday at Apogee Stadium. That run has the Mean Green rolling at 7-3 and well on its way to ending an eight-year bowl drought.

The journey has been a rewarding one for Skladany, who has rebuilt UNT’s defense while working with Mean Green head coach Dan McCarney for the second time in his career.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131120-football-staying-connected.ece

Any chance Skladany starts getting outside interest? I know there's a school in College Station who should be looking for a new coordinator at the end of this season...

Shut your mouth, now!

The defensive improvement is what has really excited me this year. Forever, no matter how poorly our results may have been, we always had a defense that would punch you in the face. Then, Dodge arrived with Men, Mendo, Men...I can't say it, and defense took a back seat. So thankful we are back to kicking ass.

Shut your mouth, now!

The defensive improvement is what has really excited me this year. Forever, no matter how poorly our results may have been, we always had a defense that would punch you in the face. Then, Dodge arrived with Men, Mendo, Men...I can't say it, and defense took a back seat. So thankful we are back to kicking ass.

Hey I'm with you! Just saying, this team plays very disciplined, fundamental ball. And every person I've had the chance of introducing the team to this season -- thanks to the many games on TV -- has said the same. Guessing other programs have taken notice, too.

Good stuff.

My favorite part:

Skladany was on his way to rejoining McCarney in a matter of weeks for what is likely their last run together. McCarney is 60 and, like Skladany, likely at his last coaching stop, especially if UNT continues to thrive.

I’m very happy here and comfortable with Mac,” Skladany said. “I’m not interested in a whole lot else right now.”

There isn’t anyone else McCarney would rather see guide his defense. He has too much respect for Skladany because of his work ethic and talent, not to mention his ability to connect with players and take them by surprise once in a while with a pop-culture reference or two.

“John hasn’t lost one bit of energy,” McCarney said. “He thrives on challenges and wants to be the best and turn this program around.

• Upvote 1