Q&A with Jerry Briggs of the San Antonio Express-News

Harry

We are fortunate today to have Jerry Briggs of the San Antonio Express-News on the blog with us to discuss UNT’s game against UTSA this weekend. Jerry is the go-to guy for coverage of the Roadrunners. Case in point, Jerry is reporting that UTSA will be without its leading rusher David Glasco II this weekend.

One can find Jerry’s stories that appear in the paper on the Express-News website’s UTSA section.Here is a link to Jerry’s UTSA blog

1. UTSA seems to be on a bit of a roll late in the season. What has changed?

The UTSA defense has started to force turnovers and the offensive line has played well. UTSA had forced only two turnovers during the 2-5 start. The defense and special teams have now forced ten during a three-game win streak. A veteran offensive line led a pretty potent rushing attack against Rice in a loss, and then again in wins against UAB and Tulsa.

Limited to 126 rushing yards against Tulane, UTSA nonetheless broke a 68-yard TD run by Brandon Armstrong. UTSA won 10-7.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/11/qa-with-jerry-briggs-of-the-san-antonio-express-news.html/

The Roadrunners have played well on the road this year (3-2) and over the past two years (7-4). That said, I suspect that North Texas just has too many good players on the defensive side of the ball for UTSA to win. I suspect that North Texas will probably win by touchdown, maybe more, if it can force some turnovers.

Well.. imagine that :clapping:

We usually run (4) Glasco, Okotcha, Williams (True FR) and Armstrong along with using our WR's in the running game. Glasco is obviously our best between the tackles runner and he will be missed as he was vs Tulane. We will see what OC Brown will draw up

Sorry to hear that wanted to see you guys at your best. Good player, hope he heals up soon.

Yeah, Glasco is a major loss to or offense but the way Jarveon Williams has been sparking and if Evans Ojatcha can give us solid downs we should be ok. oc eric brown has had 2 weeks to figure it out.

What im interested to see is how our hard hat d holds up against the unt run game. Our d has been just about as tough against the run as UNT.

It's UTSA's secondary that i look for UNT to exploit, that's been the Achilles heel of UTSA all season, but during this 3 game win streak theyve really come together.

With UNT only being favored by 8, hold on to your shorts, it's gonna be a fun one.

Shoutout to my fellow UTSA reporter, Jerry Briggs!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What im interested to see is how our hard hat d holds up against the unt run game. Our d has been just about as tough against the run as UNT.

Your D has been tough in this 3 game streak you have, but that streak has not included an OLine like our's.

Lots of things to watch in this game. Good luck after Saturday.

Your D has been tough in this 3 game streak you have, but that streak has not included an OLine like our's.

Lots of things to watch in this game. Good luck after Saturday.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I think UTSA is up to the challenge, but a little luck wouldn't hurt either. The thing here is that there is no history here to really predict the outcome. UTSA is only 3 years old, UNT is just getting back to winning. They've never played each other and both are new to the conference.

A lot of speculation in this game. Until, both schools are about 2-3 years deep in CUSA, with some history against some of the same opponents and each other, we'll just have to be happy with speculation.

Thus, I can't wait for this long two week break to be over so we can just finally see what happens when these two teams play. Good times.

Anyway, good luck to the Mean Green as well. They have a right to be confident, but they too have a lot riding on this game as well. Plenty of pressure on both teams to prove things Saturday.

• Upvote 2