UTSA feels the championship fever leading into North Texas

Harry

SAN ANTONIO — Decked out in hand casts, wrist tape and full pads, the UTSA Roadrunners summoned the type of enthusiasm Tuesday that has carried them through a long and successful season.

Players sprinted from station to station.

Coaches barked, ‘Let’s win a championship.’

Feeling the fever of the Conference USA title race, 65-year-old UTSA head coach Larry Coker executed a flying body bump with running back Evans Okotcha just after the team hit the practice field at 7:15 a.m.

“The guys had good energy today,” Coker said. ”Of course, we had a shorter practice. The guys had a day off yesterday, which I think was good. I think our guys are going to be ready to play on Saturday.”

Read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2013/11/utsa-feels-the-championship-fever-leading-into-north-texas/

I moved back home to san antonio back in July and I cansseriously say UTSA is an after thought in San Antonio. We have had our issues but the only reason utsa got into c-usa was their market. They are behind the spurs, cowboys, texans, UT, any big 12 school, 5A hs football, a&m, rodeo, fiesta, rangers, astros, and the missions. Then they fight every remaing activity for notice. I hope utsa grows as a university because we might be stuck with them for a while but right now there are 2 southland teams I respect more.

• Upvote 1

I moved back home to san antonio back in July and I cansseriously say UTSA is an after thought in San Antonio. We have had our issues but the only reason utsa got into c-usa was their market. They are behind the spurs, cowboys, texans, UT, any big 12 school, 5A hs football, a&m, rodeo, fiesta, rangers, astros, and the missions. Then they fight every remaing activity for notice. I hope utsa grows as a university because we might be stuck with them for a while but right now there are 2 southland teams I respect more.

I thought about this when seeing so many members of their board with unt or tamu icons underneath their avatars. Wtf? That I don't get. There is no other option when it comes to a university for me. I don't get it.

So let me get this straight:

1.Coker and the players are excited that they have something to play for, regardless of how slim the chances are.

2.UNT fan thinks it's ridiculous that they are excited.

Honest question, why are yall such a hateful fanbase? Seriously yall are hands down the worst I've come across. Hopefully yall are nicer in person or else I'll have to slap yall upside the head.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

We have close to 10k more season ticket holders and average nearly 5k more in total attendance. Keep that in mind.

If we are an afterthought to SA god knows what you are to DFW.

• Downvote 3

So let me get this straight:

1.Coker and the players are excited that they have something to play for, regardless of how slim the chances are.

2.UNT fan thinks it's ridiculous that they are excited.

Honest question, why are yall such a hateful fanbase? Seriously yall are hands down the worst I've come across. Hopefully yall are nicer in person or else I'll have to slap yall upside the head.

I think the others were giving their opinion on their chances of winning, not their right to be excited about playing or not. Seriously y'all's board is like dealing with 100 pregnant females. So emotional. Will this help? You're not fat honey, you look great! Of course you're attractive! You are more attractive now than when you were 20!

• Upvote 2

I think the others were giving their opinion on their chances of winning, not their right to be excited about playing or not. Seriously y'all's board is like dealing with 100 pregnant females. So emotional. Will this help? You're not fat honey, you look great! Of course you're attractive! You are more attractive now than when you were 20!

If anyone is insecure it's yall. A simple article about the UTSA players/coaches' excitement gets multiple responses to reassure each other that UTSA doesn't stand a chance.

Yall are weird.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If anyone is insecure it's yall. A simple article about the UTSA players/coaches' excitement gets multiple responses to reassure each other that UTSA doesn't stand a chance.

Yall are weird.

I didn't say you were insecure I said y'all were being emotional. Making something out of nothing. In another term....being vaginas! Last I checked it was a north texas board. Why can't we have an opinion that we're better than y'all? Seriously, leave the board and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.

• Upvote 1

Before the season started, I expected UTSA to be around #4 in the West, above Tulane and UTEP. I didn't expect the race to be this tight, but since I expected #1 Rice, #2 Tulsa and #3 UNT, this isn't too far from what I expected for each, though we're each just a teeny bit ahead of where I projected (us tied with Rice for #1 but holding the tiebreaker, them tied for #2 with Tulane and holding the tiebreaker). Of course, I also expected us to be either 5-5 or 6-4 right now, with UTSA at either 4-6 or 3-7, so we've both exceeded my expectations both in record and in divisional standings.

Our boys had better be extremely ready, which I assume they will be with the way Mac hypes every game as the biggest of the year. Even with this one at home, I expect a slimmer margin than I'd like. I would like to think UNT90 is right and we'd win by 30, but with the line at -8, that usually includes 3 points for the home team so basically it's a 5-point spread if you don't take that into account. My logical side says this is about right. My homer side says that our D will be a maelstrom that will shut them down and give UNT90 his 30 points. Either way, I'm definitely worried about this one, and had it tagged as one of the "should win but might not" months ago.

• Upvote 1

No, he just views anyone that might slightly disagree with him a crappy host.

Just an observation.

If it bothered me I wouldn't stick around. I actually enjoy watching yall act so ridiculous, gives me more reason to poke fun at yall.

You stick around because your rampant insecurity about your own program drives you to attempt to justify said program to people that really don't care about your program.

You have posted on this site more than I this week. And I'm a fan of UNT and post A LOT. Yet, there you are, with your needy little responses to anything said about UTSA.

A blatant sign of insecurity. I get it. You should be. You have only been around a second, so it's normal.

I suggest you make a donation for that fountain that your school can't fund. Maybe a successful fountain campaign will be good training for when y'all finally try to build a stadium in 25 years.

I don't post on your site and have only read it once. Why? Because I really don't care about your crappy little start up program and I don't feel the need to justify anything to the fans of a program so far behind UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know if I've ever wanted a game to be over and a team to be gone so badly. This has been two weeks of the stupidest f'ing trash talk on both sides since the infamous third grade kickball smack down of 1978. Are not! Am too!

And for the record, I'm rubber and the entire San Antonio metropolitan area is glue. Whatever they say bounces off me and sticks on their drumsticks.

• Upvote 3

It's like this El Camino.

UTSA is the guy in the member's only jacket and thick glasses sitting next to the main stage at the strip club. CUSA is the stripper. The San Antonio market is your paycheck that the bartender has converted to a stack of ones. The stripper is, naturally, all over you because you're giving her so many dollars. You, naive and nerdy, are getting all excited and chest bumping your geek friends because you think you have a chance with this chick (championship).

We (North Texas) just happen to be sitting across the room laughing our asses off because we know she's coming home with us (championship).

But hey El Camino, MAKE IT RAIN in the meantime. We could use some new Christmas gifts (bowl game).

NOICE!

I don't know enough about UTSA to have an opinion on the school or the program.

But I do believe their alleged players will come in to Denton this weekend led by their alleged coaches all jacked up about winning this game for their alleged students at their alleged university and that's something that causes me legitimate concern.

• Upvote 1

It's like this El Camino.

UTSA is the guy in the member's only jacket and thick glasses sitting next to the main stage at the strip club. CUSA is the stripper. The San Antonio market is your paycheck that the bartender has converted to a stack of ones. The stripper is, naturally, all over you because you're giving her so many dollars. You, naive and nerdy, are getting all excited and chest bumping your geek friends because you think you have a chance with this chick (championship).

We (North Texas) just happen to be sitting across the room laughing our asses off because we know she's coming home with us (championship).

But hey El Camino, MAKE IT RAIN in the meantime. We could use some new Christmas gifts (bowl game).

Well said.
  • Upvote 1

This is half true as Spurs, UT, A&M still get a lot of press because we live in a large city that draws in large employers. The rest of your dribble is completely false. I assume UNT gets more coverage than the Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, Rangers, UT, a&m in Denton? Highly doubt it. My brother lived in Denton for 8 years and told me no one cares about UNT

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1