1967 Football Schedule Poster

michagb

Love that the 'Mean Green Defense' is noted on this Schedule, but Mean Joe is nowhere to be found on it. Hence, it was not just Him, but the WHOLE Green Defense as a TEAM!

Yes. And not that I give a damn about him, but its examples like this that needs to be pointed out to rubes like Craig Miller who has spewed years of misinformation concerning our "Spare" program that fall's back on a single player from 40 years ago and named our team after him for our only identitiy and recognition.

Rick

• Upvote 5

Yes. And not that I give a damn about him, but its examples like this that needs to be pointed out to rubes like Craig Miller who has spewed years of misinformation concerning our "Spare" program that fall's back on a single player from 40 years ago and named our team after him for our only identitiy and recognition.

Rick

Rick

Craig Miller couldn't park a bicycle and I kind of wish they would bring back the freshman games.

Love that the 'Mean Green Defense' is noted on this Schedule, but Mean Joe is nowhere to be found on it. Hence, it was not just Him, but the WHOLE Green Defense as a TEAM!

Also, just curious as to if this is the same Johnny Mata of Houston L.U.L.A.C. fame?

If I remember my history, Mean Joe Greene was a Freshman in 1966, and played on the freshman team. When they made the 1967 schedule poster months before the season started, he would have been a sophomore that hadn't played a down on the main squad yet.

If I remember my history, Mean Joe Greene was a Freshman in 1966, and played on the freshman team. When they made the 1967 schedule poster months before the season started, he would have been a sophomore that hadn't played a down on the main squad yet.

IMO this evidence is much more significant than the news clipping about Sidney Sue Graham.

If Joe (who was only known as Big Joe in Denton) had not even played a down with the varsity team and they were already Mean Green, how can there be any confusion?

• Upvote 3

IMO this evidence is much more significant than the news clipping about Sidney Sue Graham.

If Joe (who was only known as Big Joe in Denton) had not even played a down with the varsity team and they were already Mean Green, how can there be any confusion?

I think yours and my Randy Galloway news article is even better. I'll try and repost that when I can.

Rick

I think yours and my Randy Galloway news article is even better. I'll try and repost that when I can.

Rick

IMO, there is still wiggle room for interpretation with the newspaper articles. Even though it makes clear that we are not named after him, some people would still contend we were named because of Joe.

I think the poster refutes any and all of that. If Big Joe truly did not yet play a snap for our Varsity squad and they came into the season named "Mean Green" defense, there is nothing left to dispute.

Edited by greenminer

Joe Greene played on the varsity team in 1966 and was named to the AP all-conference team.

By the way, that freshman team did not win a game that year.