Aniefiok helps UNT shoot down Nicholls

Harry

Aniefiok showed that he is another one of those types of players in his breakout performance against Nicholls State that included a key shooting run.

UNT trailed by as many as eight and didn’t take its first lead until Aniefiok heated up in the closing moments before halftime.

The Mean Green was down 28-20 when Aniefiok hit his first 3, sparking UNT. The sophomore hit three 3s in the final 6:08 of the first half, including one that gave UNT its first lead at 33-32.

The Mean Green went 4-for-6 from behind the arc in first half and led 38-36 at the break.

“I got on a bit of a run,” Aniefiok said. “I took it upon myself because I knew we needed to score. They left me open. I had to take them.”

Those shots changed the game for UNT.

“We were stagnant a little bit and Maurice opened it up for us,” Benford said. “He shot them with confidence. That is something he can do for us.”

UNT believes Aniefiok is just one player on its roster this year who is capable of getting on a roll.

The arsenal of shooters is one reason UNT believes it won’t experience the same shooting problems it experienced last season. The Mean Green will head off to Portland, Ore., next week shooting a respectable 39.1 percent from 3-point range after its win over Nicholls State, thanks largely to Aniefiok.

“Maurice was solid, made big shots and rebounded the ball,” Benford said. “He’s a good player. He sat out all of last year and is trying to get into a groove and rhythm. He got into one for us tonight.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131115-men-s-basketball-aniefiok-helps-unt-shoot-down-nicholls.ece