Infographic

andrewrozell

Plus, these are interesting offensive stats, but what about our opponents? How did we do defensively?

Also, very convenient to remove Tristan from the average to better reflect the "team" average. The offense used Tristan that season as a shooter. I don't think that it is fair to exclude him and exclude Clarke. Both participated in the team. Benford and JJ both allowed those shooters to take the number of shots that they did. Seems revisionist to remove them.

• Upvote 4

Good point, if you add back Thompson and Overlander, only the 3P% changes and it is: 33% - 29%. 4% is significant, however I thought the numbers, minus outliers allowed a better look at overall team performance. And to be fair, the increase in turnovers would minimize any point advantage from the three-ball.

To expand. If the 2012 team would have shot +4% better of three takens, the team would have scored an additional 54 points for the season. However, the 2009 team had 41 more turnovers that 2012 team. This difference in additional made 3's is washed away by the turnover margin (conservatively worth 41x1.5=61 points).

Edited by andrewrozell
  • Upvote 1

What will be interesting to see when you look at some of those JJ career avg #'s VS Benford's 1yr #'s will be how much the rebounds and blocks (especially blocks) shrink from last year to this year due to the lack of one singular player. A guy he had for his entire 1yr stats and JJ had for 1/2 of a year on his 11yr avg. I love me some George, Q, & Davis, but those guys were not boarding and blocking like Tony. George was putting up monster numbers on the boards. I think he and Tony averaged about the same.

I remain unconvinced. At the end of the day W's and L's are all that matters. JJ's last season here was 18-14, which was a disappointment. Most of us felt that way at the time. However, given the fact that the core nucleus only played together about six games, the meshing of the spare parts squad at years end, just about everyone (not just us...remember the press?) had us slated for a breakout year last season.

Would that have happened under Jones? It's hard to say...hypotheticals can be done all day. Let's just say, I don't believe we would have tanked to 12 wins.

• Upvote 1

wasn't thinking i would convince, that job is solely on Benford's shoulders. i am merely trying to highlight that, statistically, benford's first year was not significantly different than what Jones was bringing.

And to me, that's a sign for concern rather than optimism when Benford couldn't translate that kind of player performance into Ws.

• Upvote 2

yeah, i remember that game. it was benford's second game here and he had yet to figure out what Mitchell was all about. (answer: himself)

Really? Is it possible that the Benford had yet to figure out...anything?

EDIT: UAH was 25-6 last year.

So we lost to a good lower division team. We still should have won that game. There is no excuse for that loss.

Mitchell never had an issue with JJ. If he were really all about himself, he never would have come back for a 2nd season at NT. Hell, he probably would have played overseas to begin with after he couldn't go to Mizzou.

If we played the Division 2 national Champion -- you would expect to win that, correct? Especially a team that had Sweet 16 potential...ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN COACH?!