For You Midlake/Denton, TX fans out there.

I've never heard Midlake. Which album to I want to listen to? Just put on Bamnan & Silvercork. They Cannot Let It Expand -- No drugs involved in the composition of this uber experimental music. Nope. None at all. I can definitely see the Denton in them.

They really found their sound on the album after Bamnan..."Trials of Van Occupanther"...that and "The Courage of Others" are both more folky, ethereal and composed than their early work.

This newest album is a departure as lead-singer Tim Smith and his very distinct voice opted to leave the band..."Antiphone" literally means "opposite voice". With a new front-man (longtime band member Eric Pulido stepped into the vocal role) they've also again re-developed their sound...less delicate, nature-inspired, Nick Drake-esque...more ambient, re-verb laden shoe-gaze-y...I hear flicks of Grizzly Bear, Helio Sequence and Beach House on this new work.

They really found their sound on the album after Bamnan..."Trials of Van Occupanther"...

Twelve seconds into Roscoe, immediately more refined, less self righteous. Starting to see the appeal. That first album sounds like a bunch of gothy kids who've never paid their own electricity bill and smoke cloves outside the art building. Will continue through Trials of Van Occupanther and get back to you.

Twelve seconds into Roscoe, immediately more refined, less self righteous. Starting to see the appeal. That first album sounds like a bunch of gothy kids who've never paid their own electricity bill and smoke cloves outside the art building. Will continue through Trials of Van Occupanther and get back to you.

I think Bamnan still holds some appeal to those of us who watched this band grow up...kinda like how I'm sure Picasso's parents kept a few of his childhood drawings up on the fridge...but there's little denying that Van Occupanther is what moved them from "band you listened to in college while getting high on your roof" to "band with some national indie-cred that can sell-out Bowery Ballroom in NYC".

Also...in case you didn't know, the Midlake boys also own The Paschall Bar above Andy's on the square.

Glad you're enjoying them, Tony.

The Courage of Others might be a little startling though in how singularly-focused it is. But then Antiphon comes along and it's just wow.

What I've heard so far reminds me of Death Cab for Cutie. I can't listen to such introspective stuff while in the cubicle. It'll make me do bad, bad things. Moved on to Bowling for Soup for now to keep it local.