It's a bye week. Let's speculate on next season

TheColonyEagle

Following up on Harry's post from a few days ago....I also don't think we'll have a big drop off next season.

Make no mistake, we are losing some absolute studs. However the reason this won't be catastophic to the team is the SYSTEM in place here now. There is a foundation in place and the players coming up to fill in have been in the system for a couple of years. I feel like we're building a machine here.

The key is keeping this staff together. After this years success, this may not be realistic.

Outside of McCarney, obviously Skladany is the key. I hope he stays. Does he want to retire here?

The 2 on the staff I think are going to be the most sought after (and 2 that have been KEY to our turnaround) are Tommy Perry and Frank Wintrinch.

Our special teams have been HUGE this year. Perry's a young guy that I think a big program will be all over. The same goes for Wintrinch. He has totally turned the physical make up of this team around.

The other one that will probably get attention is Mike Simmonds, OL Coach.

And then there's Mike Canales. Will he get a shot at a HC job?

I really hope this staff comes back intact next year. We could really keep this thing rolling.

Following up on Harry's post from a few days ago....I also don't think we'll have a big drop off next season.

Make no mistake, we are losing some absolute studs. However the reason this won't be catastophic to the team is the SYSTEM in place here now. There is a foundation in place and the players coming up to fill in have been in the system for a couple of years. I feel like we're building a machine here.

The key is keeping this staff together. After this years success, this may not be realistic.

Outside of McCarney, obviously Skladany is the key. I hope he stays. Does he want to retire here?

The 2 on the staff I think are going to be the most sought after (and 2 that have been KEY to our turnaround) are Tommy Perry and Frank Wintrinch.

Our special teams have been HUGE this year. Perry's a young guy that I think a big program will be all over. The same goes for Wintrinch. He has totally turned the physical make up of this team around.

The other one that will probably get attention is Mike Simmonds, OL Coach.

And then there's Mike Canales. Will he get a shot at a HC job?

I really hope this staff comes back intact next year. We could really keep this thing rolling.

I wont say losing either Skladany or Wintrich would be crippling to the program, but losing both, and these seniors, would be very very hard to overcome.

Hopefully better attendance will lead to the admin ponying up the money to keep these guys here. Definitely need all the guys you mentioned to stay.

Hopefully better attendance makes sure RV does not reneg on his promise of 6 home games every year (and no, @SMU is NOT a home game, no matter whether there are more UNT fans or not)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wont say losing either Skladany or Wintrich would be crippling to the program, but losing both, and these seniors, would be very very hard to overcome.

Loosing skladany would be really bad. I have a hard time imaging a D-coordinator coing in, that is even close to Skladanys performance. Wintich is good, but the loss would not be as devastating.

I like Perrys work, but I will be interested to see how he does when the team as a whole has less depth, making less ones and worse twos play on special teams. Also: I am not yet sure I love where NT is in it's place kicking game. I feel it's a bit early to say what his worth exactly is.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

I think as long as Mac is here, JS will be here, but that's speculation. You definitely want to keep the special teams and S&C machine working, so you pay those guys. And, I agree, the system is in place, and as long as the seniors run the team, and the players buy in, UNT will be successful.

The last part is the fans. They have to step up with $ and attendance, and keep stepping up. Keep building it. I have had as my sig the same thing for almost 10 years. This thing doesn't get handed down. People have to pick it up and carry it. It's not a passive machine, it's active. Participative.

I think as long as Mac is here, JS will be here, but that's speculation. You definitely want to keep the special teams and S&C machine working, so you pay those guys. And, I agree, the system is in place, and as long as the seniors run the team, and the players buy in, UNT will be successful.

The last part is the fans. They have to step up with $ and attendance, and keep stepping up. Keep building it. I have had as my sig the same thing for almost 10 years. This thing doesn't get handed down. People have to pick it up and carry it. It's not a passive machine, it's active. Participative.

I feel good regarding senior leadership next year with Y'Barbo, Lemon, Akunne and Lee. I also believe the success of this year's team will lead to a spike in MGC and season ticket sales.

• Upvote 2

One of the most impressive things to me during Mac's tenure has been his ability to replace coaches. As a head coach it is a good thing and you strive to have your assistants move up and get better jobs. Good sign that your program is successful.

Bringing in guys like Ryan Walters has really kept this ship moving in the direction that he wants and I have confidence in him to replace coaches. That being said, really hope we can keep Skladany.

Best takeaway thus far from the Mac era is the wins at home. Absolutely huge for attendance and recruiting.

Now about the second part - recruiting. Will be very interesting to see how that goes this year. Crucial year to take advantage of the success on the field. Pretty quiet on that front as far as I can tell.

What do you guys think about the passing game?

That could be a huge wildcard and it could really take our offense to the next level. Or we could really see some growing pains and regression without DT, Brelan, and D Smith.

Having a mobile qb could really help things downfield with safeties needing to stay up for run support and if teams choose to use a spy that could help things downfield as well.

But we also don't know how much Mac will trust his new qb to throw, especially on early downs. Since he hasn't trusted DT even though he often raves about him.

What do you guys think about the passing game?

That could be a huge wildcard and it could really take our offense to the next level. Or we could really see some growing pains and regression without DT, Brelan, and D Smith.

Having a mobile qb could really help things downfield with safeties needing to stay up for run support and if teams choose to use a spy that could help things downfield as well.

But we also don't know how much Mac will trust his new qb to throw, especially on early downs. Since he hasn't trusted DT even though he often raves about him.

That is something I am worried about as well... I think that we have some young talent that showed they could play in High School and hopefully they are ready next year to be big time receivers. Terrell, Smiley, and Harris should all be able to hit the field running.

Now on the QB front I am concerned because we have not been able to see much from them. We do not know what they can and can not do yet. The hype on Burke and Dajon is big. Hopefully they are both ready to shine next year. A mobile QB can make a huge difference.

I also don't believe that there will be much of a dropoff next season. I believe that the coaching staff will remain intact for one more year but they will need a fairly substantial pay increase. After next year, the younger staff members may move on to better offers. The most vital keeps are Skladany, Simmonds and Wintrich. Skladany's defense has given the Mean Green an identity that is rapidly earning respect.

Obviously Chancellor, Zach Orr, and Trice will be hard to replace and the first half of the season will show it but I believe that by conference play the team will again come together.

What worries me is the offense. I believe that we need to be able to run but we need a more balanced attack or even a slight tilt toward passing to set up the run. The passing can be spread around more evenly now that we can't rely on one man to shoulder the load. Fonzale Davis and maybe a couple of others could really bolster the receiving corps. The offensive line may be even stronger with more experience.

The defense will remain the signature of this team and it may take awhile to find replacements for Orr, Trice, Bellazin, Wright, McCoy, Boutwell and Abbe, but the coaches will find them.

Recruiting. It can't be stated enough.

Dickey couldn't capitalize, Mac has to. If we don't strike, TX St, UTSA pass us by.

Honestly, we could win the C-USA West for years to come if we play it right.

We have to identify some young up-and-comers in the coaching ranks. Mac's only gonna be here so long.

• Upvote 2

Whatever the coaches decide to do with the QB situation, PLEASE, for the love of everything that is good and decent, DO NOT ROTATE QBS!!! Please have one win the job and go with him.

I could be wrong, but it seems like this board has anointed Dajon as the starter next year. What about Brock? Is he just completely out of the picture? And are we completely writing off Andrew?

I for one want to see what Brock can do. I still remember going crazy over that rivals ranking of Dual Threat QBs with Brock being sandwiched between Evert Golson and Johnny Football. I know, I know it is just a ranking, but has he been given a shot with his injuries?

Of course in Mac I trust so I know he'll make the right call.