Here's what worries me about UTSA

Harry

Some here have been laughing longer than that. They laughed when UTSA hired Coker, before they were even fielding a team. He was a steal. I said so at the time.

Our fanbase - many of whom eagerly supported the hiring of high school coach Todd Dodge - to this day, even in defeat to Coker, still look for other excuses. He's an excellent football coach. Always has been, always will be.

Also, it's (sadly) amazing to see how much perspective our fanbase has lost in such a short amount of time. We are no longer thankful for a winning season, a bowl season. Instead, we are upset at the record-setting coaching staff and players.

Crazy.

So much stupidity flung around this forum over the past two weeks. Glad this game is over. People who did not respect UTSA before this game, eat crow. They are a conference mate and a good one at that. Can't wait for the return game in San Antonio.

• Upvote 1

How could they not come back and post after the way many of our fellow posters taunted and belittled them during the week? We were 7-3 in the C-USA and some here thought we had a juggernaut.

What we have is a good football team in a conference full of former Sun Belt schools. We've made a lot of progress. It's taken three long years.

Instead of appreciating it, we take to talking down to other fans who visit the board and preening like spoiled brats when we fall to 7-4.

Good post. I like you.

Apparently the new excuse is that we may have won but atleast UNT isn't full of "thugs".

So much stupidity flung around this forum over the past two weeks. Glad this game is over. People who did not respect UTSA before this game, eat crow. They are a conference mate and a good one at that. Can't wait for the return game in San Antonio.

Agree. But, look, I think some here take it much harder because UTSA is a lot like old NTSU/UNT: commuter school, easy to get into.

We have moved past what we used to be in many ways. The academics have greatlyy improved at UNT since many of us hit the campus in the late 80s/early 90s. And, the school has and is doing more to make it a four-year on/near campus experience for students.

UTSA is a very young school. It is still very commuter. I've got family in San Antonio and have been on the UTSA campus once over the past year. Honestly, it isn't impressive. But, they have and are improving it as fast as they can.

The thing that strikes me about UTSA is that it seems the school recognizes that a high visible athletics department can help lift it in all areas. As we all know, we had momentum from the late 70s quashed by a clueless administration.

You have to look at this thing from the long view - Larry Coker, hired on March 5, 2009, has been at UTSA longer than McCarney has been here. I mean, they hired him as we were still screwing around with Todd Dodge, for pete's sake. He's been at it for five years there; McCarney's been at it three years here. In many ways, they both were "starting from scratch."

Coker's built this thing with some quality transfers. The quarterback, from Texas State. The DT Mabry signed a letter of intent with Oklahoma State out of high school. The Okotcha on defense began his college carrer, like Marcus Trice, at Oklahoma. The DE Singletary began his career at Baylor.

He's also recruited well. You can see that.

They are not a bad football team.

• Upvote 1

you know your life is pathetic when your sole joy in life is talking trash after your team wins, on a message board.

As oppose to talking trash before the game is played and then talking trash after your team loses, on a message board.

You, your concept of hypocritical isn't like the rest of ours, is it?

• Upvote 1

This is pretty untrue when a majority of students live on campus or off campus student housing.

I believe 88% of students at UTSA live off campus and some (oops, looked it up, edit) 66% of those live outside of 15 miles. That's a "commuter" school but I'm not going to bother arguing with you over it.

The proof is in the pudding. When the student section we had yesterday would be considered "the best ever" at UTSA, that says about all that needs to be said in regards to that.

It is also easy to get into UTSA. That's a fact.

Freshman retention rate is freaking terrible at 60% and your 4 year graduation rate is abysmal.

It's amazing what y'all have done in a short time. But don't come and try to lie and gloat about the academic prowess of UTS-freaking-A.

You beat us in a football game. Cool.

We'll be bowling and you won't.

Also cool.

Edited by meangreener

As oppose to talking trash before the game is played and then talking trash after your team loses, on a message board.

You, your concept of hypocritical isn't like the rest of ours, is it?

There is a difference between trash talk BEFORE the game and AFTER the game. The game is over, move on.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I couldn't give you more than just +1.

The thing that worries me the most...... they only lose 3 starters and we play them in San Antonio next year.

I wonder if all the trash talk of UTSA being nothing helped to get them fired up while getting us overconfident.

I know one thing. It didn't affect the outcome of the game at all.

Fixed

I believe 88% of students at UTSA live off campus and some (oops, looked it up, edit) 66% of those live outside of 15 miles. That's a "commuter" school but I'm not going to bother arguing with you over it.

The proof is in the pudding. When the student section we had yesterday would be considered "the best ever" at UTSA, that says about all that needs to be said in regards to that.

It is also easy to get into UTSA. That's a fact.

Freshman retention rate is freaking terrible at 60% and your 4 year graduation rate is abysmal.

It's amazing what y'all have done in a short time. But don't come and try to lie and gloat about the academic prowess of UTS-freaking-A.

You beat us in a football game. Cool.

We'll be bowling and you won't.

Also cool.

Post our admission standards then post yours. If we are easy to get into so is UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1