UNT's image

unt_rocket09

Thursday was an opportunity for me to go around campus during a school day for the first time in many years. It is still a vibrant and positive place. The stadium is an outstanding extension of the campus especially with the bridge. Wins at home definitely increase the energy level. I toured a lot of campuses with my son. UNT stands up really well in comparison.

• Upvote 3

i love UNT and i bleed green, but the landscaping at UNT needs to be worked on. I think maybe because of all the construction it is looking a little run down. TWC does a good job with their campus. Students use the sidewalks.

I agree, but you should have seen it in the 70's. It has gotten better every decade including when I was there in the late 80's/early 90's, but you are correct about the construction taking it's toll.

I agree, but you should have seen it in the 70's. It has gotten better every decade including when I was there in the late 80's/early 90's, but you are correct about the construction taking it's toll.

Heck I recall how bad it was in the early 2000's... Never been great but we are still growing and moving in the right direction.

Heck I recall how bad it was in the early 2000's... Never been great but we are still growing and moving in the right direction.

Looking back on it, it was bad when I got here in 1996. However, having just come from the Permian Basin, at the time the entire region looked like a tropical paradise to me.

• Upvote 1

i love UNT and i bleed green, but the landscaping at UNT needs to be worked on. I think maybe because of all the construction it is looking a little run down. TWC does a good job with their campus. Students use the sidewalks.

Man I agree. I saw people drive golf carts across the grass in the rain in front of the athletic complex before and after a game with a perfectly nice wide sidewalk right there. There are now the muddy ruts in the grass lawn I was always accustomed to seeing as a student in the early 2000s. I'm not an A&M nazi about not walking on grass, but a little pride with some common sense isn't too much to ask? In general, campus has gotten better since the 2000s.

Man I agree. I saw people drive golf carts across the grass in the rain in front of the athletic complex before and after a game with a perfectly nice wide sidewalk right there. There are now the muddy ruts in the grass lawn I was always accustomed to seeing as a student in the early 2000s. I'm not an A&M nazi about not walking on grass, but a little pride with some common sense isn't too much to ask? In general, campus has gotten better since the 2000s.

Grass, sidewalks, driveways...anything goes.

The one thing I hate about this place. Landscaping. I do like how everything is overgrown, makes it look old and distinguished, but still. When I went to Yale, there wasn't a blade out of line. Campus beautification needs some work. Construction is a big cause though right now.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Only on gmg can a positive thread be hijacked to negativity.

Give 'em a break, Rocket.

Negativy is increasingly hard to conjur up these days........winning football team, AD (person and department) doing a good job, increasing show of enthusiasm/excitement coming from the stands on both sides of the stadium during games, pride bustin' the buttons of those on the field and in the stands............Hell, negativity is just a harder thing to create right now.

Even the board's number one negative poster has reduced his 99% negativity to about 75% - but even then he still manages to languish in his own sea of self-created negativity while avoiding falling prey to "puppy's breath and sunshine up skirts" (always wondered about that sunshine saying - i have believed there was always sunshine......uh,well, I will leave the rest to your imagination).

But even negativity is a positive to such folks.

Hey Rocket, always enjoy and respect your postings.

GMG

• Upvote 3

Yeah, it looked like a barren wasteland when I arrived in 1999.

But uh, the campus looks fantastic these days. It's inspiring just walking around. Almost makes me want to go back to school. Almost.

The campus has improve exponentially every time streets have been eliminated inside the campus and replaced with walkways, bike paths and landscaping. The next step should be Maple St in front of Kerr, Maple and Clark Halls.

• Upvote 1

The campus has improve exponentially every time streets have been eliminated inside the campus and replaced with walkways, bike paths and landscaping. The next step should be Maple St in front of Kerr, Maple and Clark Halls.

The next street to become a pedestrian plaza will be Sycamore St. West of the GAB with an eventual goal to have much of the interior of campus more pedestrian/bicycle/bus oriented rather than for cars as per the newly released 2013 Master Plan.

http://untsystem.edu/pdfs/Master%20Plans/2013/UNT_FinalReport_2013.pdf

Pgs 71, 95-101

The next street to become a pedestrian plaza will be Sycamore St. West of the GAB with an eventual goal to have much of the interior of campus more pedestrian/bicycle/bus oriented rather than for cars as per the newly released 2013 Master Plan.

Pgs 71, 95-101

Thanks for the info. That sounds great, Christopher Walker.

Pgs 71, 95-101

Don't hold your breath buddy. The plans change yearly. :-

you should have seen some of the plans when my dad was a VP. Some would have been kinda cool that was scrapped long ago.

Edited by Travis

If you're going to eliminate Maple Street then you have to make Highland a 2 way street and remove all street parking. There are several parking lots the are accessed from Maple.

If you're going to eliminate Maple Street then you have to make Highland a 2 way street and remove all street parking. There are several parking lots the are accessed from Maple.

That would be a nightmare for traffic.

Highland is right down the heart of campus. Students crossing that street all of the time. Double the traffic on that street by making it 2-way, and it's just a recipe for a permanent traffic jam.

That would be a nightmare for traffic.

Highland is right down the heart of campus. Students crossing that street all of the time. Double the traffic on that street by making it 2-way, and it's just a recipe for a permanent traffic jam.

That's just it, you really can't eliminate traffic on Maple without it affecting Highland.

Oh what a difference winning makes. I just got a text from a friend of mine who isn't really a football fan but has been to a few games with me over the years. The text said this:

"I would just like to wear my North Texas hoodie and NOT have to talk about football."

I responded by asking if it was just random people, and the response was that it was three random people from three different places all in one day. That just made my darned day.

• Upvote 2

Et al: Most all of the surface parking lots will be eliminated over the next twenty years, replaced by parking structures. THey need that square footage to add academic buildings, dorms etc.

Don't hold your breath buddy. The plans change yearly. :-

you should have seen some of the plans when my dad was a VP. Some would have been kinda cool that was scrapped long ago.

While I certainly understand that Master Plans are living documents and not set in stone, I know for sure that the BoR, current VP for Facilities and the head of Facilities Construction are all set for the first two phases of construction over the next few years.

Edited by Christopher Walker