2014 OOC schedule

TheColonyEagle

I Wouldn't mind a SWAC school.. With all the new players we could potentially go 0-3 in those games to start the season.

Win 1 for sure in OOC. 5 wins in CUSA is very doable and we could be back into a bowl.

Grambling , PV A&M, TX Southern, etc... All would be relatively cheap & all would be a for sure win for a young team

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 4

I believe the fourth school is Nicholls State of the Southland Conference. I think the price tag to get them here was far less than for Idaho since they are a FCS school.

That would work.

They did upset a DI this year , Western Michigan out of the MAC.

Also Lost to ULL 70-7

I believe the fourth school is Nicholls State of the Southland Conference. I think the price tag to get them here was far less than for Idaho since they are a FCS school.

Nichols state is just about the worst school for sports in all of division 1. If we bring them in it should be in the 40s to 0 at half.

With SMU being at Apogee I think we should have a good shot there, even with all the newbies. At least 2-2 heading into conference play would set us up nicely again.

• Upvote 1

I understand the logic in bringing in mercy killings for the win column, but I'd super prefer never to bring in an FCS opponent to Apogee again.

We need to seriously do as UTSA has (don't shoot me) and get bigger BIG12-2 and B1G opponents in house.

We can't.

We have scheduled so poorly that we have no flexibility to do one and ones before 2018, unless a team will agree to play here in 2014 or 2015 and wait until 2018 or 2019 for the return game at their place. Not necessarily unheard of, but nothing a really marketable team would agree to do.

We are in a box, and buying games is the only way out. Either that, or 5 game home seasons. We have one of those teed up for 2015.

Terrible, terrible, terrible scheduling.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I Wouldn't mind a SWAC school.. With all the new players we could potentially go 0-3 in those games to start the season.

Win 1 for sure in OOC. 5 wins in CUSA is very doable and we could be back into a bowl.

Grambling , PV A&M, TX Southern, etc... All would be relatively cheap & all would be a for sure win for a young team

What's with all the negativity about next year's team? O-line will be full of seniors, backfield will still be strong. Looking like we could have some great freshman WRs. Dual threat QB.

On D, we are losing depth along D line and need to replace Orr which is hard but the transfer from Oregon could get the job done. Trice will also be hard to replace, but still have a strong secondary with Lee, Buyers, Jones, Whitfield.

I think this team can be even better next year. Baylor lost RG3 but have still proven to be relevant.

We can beat SMU at Apogee and already shown we can beat Indiana. I've already booked my trip to Austin so I can witness the upset in person. Whoever the 4th team is, they better be sure to get some $$$ b/c they sure as hell aren't getting a W

• Upvote 2

I understand the logic in bringing in mercy killings for the win column, but I'd super prefer never to bring in an FCS opponent to Apogee again.

We need to seriously do as UTSA has (don't shoot me) and get bigger BIG12-2 and B1G opponents in house.

UTSA uses San Antonio as a nice lure for these other schools to get in front of Texas recruits and providing the visiting fans with a great destination for a weekend. Plus, the Alamodome is big enough to hold large crowds. And, lastly, the Alamo Bowl committe has strong ties with the folks in the Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac-12. That helps them to get big names opponents to play UTSA in San Antonio. Its something we don't want to bring up, but its one of the major advantages that UTSA will always have on us.

The Southern Big 12 teams and Texas A&M already play in the Metroplex, at least once every two years. Some will play here twice in a year (OU, UT, Baylor, Tech). SMU gets those schools their DFW OOC exposure. The Big Ten teams that will come down here to Denton to play would be so much better off for the recruiting exposure it would bring, but it hasn't happened yet, which is very surprising to me. I still think a school like OSU would come here as a part of a series. I think Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou would too. But, as UNT90 put it, we don't have any wiggle room. We have SMU and Army for a long time ahead and then still play one bodybag game. That just doesn't leave you any place to sign a new deal with someone for an even series. We will either have 5 game home schedules or 6 games at home with a game against an Idaho or Texas Southern team. Not much you can do about it, with SMU and Army already in the mix for a long time in the future.

If it has to be an FCS team it needs to be Sam Houston or SFA. Either would bring a crowd. MAC schools would be preferable though.

It has to be a money game or a road game. I'd love to pay a MAC team for a one off, but will UNT do that? Really?

Most likely an FCS, and probably the cheapest one we can find.

Edited by UNT90

If it has to be an FCS team it needs to be Sam Houston or SFA. Either would bring a crowd. MAC schools would be preferable though.

Only thing about playing either of those two FCS schools is that they are both really good. You cannot lose to these guys as a non-AQ. You need to schedule a SWAC school or a school like Lamar.

UTSA uses San Antonio as a nice lure for these other schools to get in front of Texas recruits and providing the visiting fans with a great destination for a weekend. Plus, the Alamodome is big enough to hold large crowds. And, lastly, the Alamo Bowl committe has strong ties with the folks in the Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac-12. That helps them to get big names opponents to play UTSA in San Antonio. Its something we don't want to bring up, but its one of the major advantages that UTSA will always have on us.

The Southern Big 12 teams and Texas A&M already play in the Metroplex, at least once every two years. Some will play here twice in a year (OU, UT, Baylor, Tech). SMU gets those schools their DFW OOC exposure. The Big Ten teams that will come down here to Denton to play would be so much better off for the recruiting exposure it would bring, but it hasn't happened yet, which is very surprising to me. I still think a school like OSU would come here as a part of a series. I think Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Nebraska, Colorado, and Mizzou would too. But, as UNT90 put it, we don't have any wiggle room. We have SMU and Army for a long time ahead and then still play one bodybag game. That just doesn't leave you any place to sign a new deal with someone for an even series. We will either have 5 game home schedules or 6 games at home with a game against an Idaho or Texas Southern team. Not much you can do about it, with SMU and Army already in the mix for a long time in the future.

The Big 10 starts playing a 9 game in-conference schedule in 2016 leaving only 3 games for OOC. It will be difficult to schedule any near term games with the Big 10. I believe the SEC has voted to stay with an 8 game in-conference schedule. I can't speak for the PAC-12 or the Big 12 or the ACC.

What's with all the negativity about next year's team? O-line will be full of seniors, backfield will still be strong. Looking like we could have some great freshman WRs. Dual threat QB.

On D, we are losing depth along D line and need to replace Orr which is hard but the transfer from Oregon could get the job done. Trice will also be hard to replace, but still have a strong secondary with Lee, Buyers, Jones, Whitfield.

I think this team can be even better next year. Baylor lost RG3 but have still proven to be relevant.

We can beat SMU at Apogee and already shown we can beat Indiana. I've already booked my trip to Austin so I can witness the upset in person. Whoever the 4th team is, they better be sure to get some $$$ b/c they sure as hell aren't getting a W

Man, I totally agree.

It has never entered my mind that we would lose to SMU next year.

We will be favored.

How is the OOC schedule note firmly in place?

Why is this such an issue? New stadium, team on the rise, in the metroplex....

There should be literally no problem getting a team. This should have been planned and settle years ago. I'm honestly a little shocked that there isn't a game for this spot.

Am I wildly out of line here?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

How is the OOC schedule note firmly in place?

Why is this such an issue? New stadium, team on the rise, in the metroplex....

There should be literally no problem getting a team. This should have been planned and settle years ago. I'm honestly a little shocked that there isn't a game for this spot.

Am I wildly out of line here?

No, but you will be told that you are out of line and over-reacting.

And them there will be a 5 home game season in 2015 and those same people will act shocked.

Go here: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/conf-usa/2014-north-texas-mean-green-football-schedule.php

Then look and see how many home vs road games we have scheduled all the way up to 2018.

You will realize that we have a 5 home game scedule in 2015 and zero flexibility to schedule any home games other than money games we pay for.

But don't try and point it out to the look aid drinkers. And don't point out that RV refused to address the 2015 schedule when asked directly by Vito about the number of home games that year.

Don't do it!

• Upvote 2

The Big 10 starts playing a 9 game in-conference schedule in 2016 leaving only 3 games for OOC. It will be difficult to schedule any near term games with the Big 10. I believe the SEC has voted to stay with an 8 game in-conference schedule. I can't speak for the PAC-12 or the Big 12 or the ACC.

I actually posted about this a few months ago, using it as an apology for being so upset that we signed a 2 for none with Iowa, when we were told that our new stadium would help us entice bigger named opponents. Well, it did--for one season against UH and Indiana. Since then, we have had Texas Southern, Idaho, and Ball State. And SMU for next year. But that said, the Big Ten going to 9 conference games will probably get copied by the other AQs, so we weren't going to get a home game against Iowa, since their league also makes each team play one Pac-12 team in OOC, as well.

I still bet you that in 2015 and in 2017, we will have 5 home games and that RV will tell us that a game at SMU "might as well be a home game if we all show up and support the team". That way, we can save money and use it for future bought games to balance out our games against Florida, Tennessee, Iowa, etc...it really isn't that hard to see this happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually posted about this a few months ago, using it as an apology for being so upset that we signed a 2 for none with Iowa, when we were told that our new stadium would help us entice bigger named opponents. Well, it did--for one season against UH and Indiana. Since then, we have had Texas Southern, Idaho, and Ball State. And SMU for next year. But that said, the Big Ten going to 9 conference games will probably get copied by the other AQs, so we weren't going to get a home game against Iowa, since their league also makes each team play one Pac-12 team in OOC, as well.

I still bet you that in 2015 and in 2017, we will have 5 home games and that RV will tell us that a game at SMU "might as well be a home game if we all show up and support the team". That way, we can save money and use it for future bought games to balance out our games against Florida, Tennessee, Iowa, etc...it really isn't that hard to see this happening.

While I don't agree with the strategy I can definitely understand the logic. There will be more green shirts in the crowd than red and I am pretty sure you can take that to the bank.