We mentioned last night on the blog that there are some eligibility concerns with Greg Wesley.

After asking around, here is the story.

The freshman forward is awaiting word from the NCAA on whether or not he will be academically eligible this season. The NCAA has the case in its hands.

There were some rumblings dating back to the summer about whether or not Wesley would qualify. Those questions are still lingering. Benford acknowledged them after UNT beat Southeastern Oklahoma State at home on Monday. Wesley has not played in either of UNTs exhibition games.

Right now we are still dealing with some eligibility issues, Benford said. We are waiting to hear back from the NCAA.

Read More: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/11/the-story-on-greg-wesley.html/

Worst case scenario he sits and year and is redshirted. With our depth I could deal with that. Any news on if taylor and Voss will suit up Friday?

Wrong. Worst case scenario is he is declared ineligible this year and loses a year of eligibility whilst he proves himself academically, a la Tony Mitchell.

Of course, this is all Greg Wesley's fault...

Also, Vito says at the end of the article that UNT is waiting on the NCAA's ruling on Wesley's APPEAL. This indicates that Wesley has already been ruled ineligible.

:no:

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Worst case scenario he sits and year and is redshirted. With our depth I could deal with that. Any news on if taylor and Voss will suit up Friday?

Hi guys, new to the forum this year. PMed a few of you already about your thoughts on the team and thank you for the replies. I look forward to being able to contribute to discussions some this year.

Regards to the injury front, per Vito, Voss is expected to miss the opener and be back on the 11th vs. Oklahoma. Gaines is expected back on December 3rd vs. BYU

No official word on Taylor returning, but he has a slight groin pull and should be fine.

This is disappointing news on Wesley, hopefully the grades are good and he'll be allowed to play this year. We seem pretty deep at Forward, but I think he could still contribute a fair bit this year, and of course, the experience he would gain. Scout rated him a 3-star recruit and said he was a prolific high school player with a nice scoring touch and a knack for rebounding. That's always nice to have.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Hi guys, new to the forum this year. PMed a few of you already about your thoughts on the team and thank you for the replies. I look forward to being able to contribute to discussions some this year.

Regards to the injury front, per Vito, Voss is expected to miss the opener and be back on the 11th vs. Oklahoma. Gaines is expected back on December 3rd vs. BYU

No official word on Taylor returning, but he has a slight groin pull and should be fine.

This is disappointing news on Wesley, hopefully the grades are good and he'll be allowed to play this year. We seem pretty deep at Forward, but I think he could still contribute a fair bit this year, and of course, the experience he would gain. Scout rated him a 3-star recruit and said he was a prolific high school player with a nice scoring touch and a knack for rebounding. That's always nice to have.

Cheers

Thanks for the injury updates. I doubt we will need Voss or Taylor this Friday but both could come in handy against Oklahoma!

• Upvote 1

His high school teammate who signed with Lafayette was ruled ineligible & placed at JUCO

I'm starting to think we never see Wesley play for the Mean Green... Damnit, that would be 2 wasted scholarships in this class...

Why not enroll him as you did Tony knock out the 17 hours and look at this a redshirt year? He's already here and taken a lot of classes during summer and Fall.

It does sort of sound like a little more than just being ineligible to play this year and sit out and be ready for next year.

Benford has gotten praise for being a good recruiter while being here despite having very disappointing results on the court. If Wesley doesn't end up playing that'll mean all 5 of his high school signees are not on this team (Hardwick, Overlander, Friar, Nunn, Wesley).

• Upvote 2

Clarke was a JJ recruit

You don't have to sit out when going to a non DI school

I was thinking they were D1 for some reason.

Clarke was a JJ signee during early signing period but he's still one of the 5 high school kids who've come in or been signed by Benford. Even though he wasn't Benford's recruit, I don't like the inability to keep Overlander and Hardwick or be able to suit up Nunn, Friar, and Wesley in green, even if Friar and/or Nunn shouldn't have been takes in the first place.

Our roster is very top heavy with 7 juniors (assuming Taylor doesn't get three more years), 3 seniors, 1 sophomore and potentially 0 freshman because of this.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the updated Brett. Goods news he will still have fours years of eligibility as I thought. I think we will be fine without him and he can add some youth next season to a team that will be very senior laden.

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!

• Upvote 2

2013-Greg Wesley:2012-Brandon Walton

Question. No info.

Stuff happens. It's how one deals with it that matters. Moving on...be part of the solution or part of the problem. Always a personal choice for these guys...and everyone else for that matter.

Life. No answers.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Hey its disappointing but not "he's leaving to a juco disappointing" like we had with Friar but more like a "I'm bummed we won't get to watch him play this season" type of deal. There is a big difference and frankly I am ok with it if we end up getting a full four years. This is basically like his redshirt season.

The problem as I see it is with all of the transfers and jucos to reinvigorate things we are woefully short of younger players since we have lost Wesley this year and Friar to the juco. We need to address that issue in the coming recruiting classes.

Stuff happens. It's how one deals with it that matters. Moving on...be part of the solution or part of the problem. Always a personal choice for these guys...and everyone else for that matter.

Life. No answers.

blessings-quote.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1