Has This Ever Happened at UNT?

LongJim

I know this is UTEP week, but I just wanted to poll the old timers--has the Mean Green EVER received as much national/local pub following a regular season game as they have in the past 3 days?

Not to mention a THURSDAY night game? I sure as heck can't remember it, if it ever happened. Awesome.

Overall I don't think so. However, Hayden Fry received national coach of the week honors by SI for the Tennessee win. I can't remember how the local media handled the win. Keep in mind that there is much more electronic 24/7 media these days than in 1975. Our current ubiquitous media coverage needs constant feeding. So even average events can make the loop, and give just about everyone their 15 mins of fame......or infamy as the case may be.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I can't speak for pre-86. TCU was so poor our win over them in '86 didnt get a lot of press but our win over Tech in '88 did. Through the next several games we vaulted to #1 ranking in the 1-AA polls and were there for 7 or 8 weeks and channel 8 did several stories on Corky and our Mad-Dog defense.

It all came to a close when we lost on our homecoming in a sold out Fouts to a solid SFA team. We would go on to smear Rice in Houston for the final regular game of the season to finish 3-0* in the Southwest Conference and lose to Mardhall in the first round on the 1-AA playoffs.

*We beat Texas all night long...score doesnt matter so suck it!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I was out of the metroplex by 1982, and out of the state between 87 and 92. However, I don't remember (and I became pretty aware of UNT's program about 74 or so) UNT having this much pub even via AP or (showing my age) UPI stories from back then during the regular season. Even in the DFW papers/TV.

Well I go back a ways at UNT. The win over Tennesse was covered pretty good.

National news said some alums parked a moving van in front ot the Tennessee coach's house.

Remember what Eagle player scooped up the ball (blocked field goal or fumble I don't remember)

and ran it back for the winning score? Sears Woods ring a bell?

Actually when NT was leading at half time in the '83 or '84 Texas game was covered pretty good.

'Course you didn't have the media bandwidth back then anywhere like today.

Well I go back a ways at UNT. The win over Tennesse was covered pretty good.

National news said some alums parked a moving van in front ot the Tennessee coach's house.

Remember what Eagle player scooped up the ball (blocked field goal or fumble I don't remember)

and ran it back for the winning score? Sears Woods ring a bell?

Actually when NT was leading at half time in the '83 or '84 Texas game was covered pretty good.

'Course you didn't have the media bandwidth back then anywhere like today.

Sears Woods ran a kick-off back 101 yards.

It all came to a close when we lost on our homecoming in a sold out Fouts to a solid SFA team. We would go on to smear Rice in Houston for the final regular game of the season to finish 3-0* in the Southwest Conference and lose to Mardhall in the first round on the 1-AA playoffs.

This is why my dream scenario is to host the championship game here against Marshall. That was the beginning of their meteoric rise as we began to bend the curve toward mediocrity.

I have wanted to be better than them ever since.

Overall I don't think so. However, Hayden Fry received national coach of the week honors by SI for the Tennessee win. I can't remember how the local media handled the win. Keep in mind that there is much more electronic 24/7 media these days than in 1975. Our current ubiquitous media coverage needs constant feeding. So even average events can make the loop, and give just about everyone their 15 mins of fame......or infamy as the case may be.

Hayden Fry and team were on the "front cover" of the Sunday paper shown getting off the plane after arriving home.( Morning News or Times Herald, don't recall) after defeating Tennessee. The coach for Tennessee lost his job.

• Upvote 1

In a word............NO!

I think it has a lot to do with how we did it.

Getting to 21-21 at Georgia with the blocked punt and Chancellor's 99 yard highlight reel TD raise some eyebrows.

Beating Rice with the 8 play goal line stand & Chancellor's punt return plus Orr's fumble return on a Thursday night put all eyes on UNT.

We also picked a good time to do it. With TCU and smu having bad years, the local media is starting come around on UNT.

If we get to the HOD or Liberty bowl and win........... there will be a run on green kool-aid.

• Upvote 1

We got a ton of local press in 1997 when we beat Texas Tech and then had A&M the very next week at Texas Stadium. Around 55K made that game iIRC (about 55/45 A&M fans to NT fans). That game was tied at half...and I think we were only down ten going into the 4th quarter. Such a great start to that season - it still stuns me we only ended up 4-7.