shaft

Bowls ranked by payout:

1. Liberty Bowl = $1,437,500

2. Heart of Dallas = $1,100,000

3. Military bowl = $1,000,000

4. Hawaii bowl = $650,000

5. Beef o Brady's = $537,500

6. New Orleans = $500,000

Well, that puts a little different spin on it. I think our staff/administrators will be vying for the highest paid bowl game, as will other schools. It would be silly, as a program, to want to play in NOLA because you would have better attendance and fans and turn down >$500k. We will see how our marketing plan works at the end of the season.

Well, that puts a little different spin on it. I think our staff/administrators will be vying for the highest paid bowl game, as will other schools. It would be silly, as a program, to want to play in NOLA because you would have better attendance and fans and turn down >$500k. We will see how our marketing plan works at the end of the season.

I think the military bowl will go to a East conference team because of location. Any way you look at it the Heart of Dallas is the 2nd best option for us behind the Liberty Bowl.

• Upvote 1

1. Liberty Bowl

2. Cotton Bowl (located in the Heart of Dallas)

3. Military Bowl

my list is pretty much the same order as the payout, except I'd probably drop Hawaii to 6 and bump the other two up. Another bad thing about the Hawaii Bowl is that it's a whole week before the Cotton Bowl, which takes away a few extra practices. Liberty (SEC), Cotton (B1G), and Military (ACC) are also desirable because they are pitted against the big 5 conferences. In a time where the B1G/PAC/SEC/ACC/B12 are getting out of contracts with the CUSA/AAC/MWC/MAC/SB, this is a great opportunity to get a good win vs. a name opponent.

While I agree with most of the positives about playing in the Cotton Bowl on New Year's Day, the one drawback is that it's on ESPNU in a time period where three other games are on (a total of 4). I'll be at the game unless it's Beef o'Bradys or Hawaii so it's not for my viewing pleasure that I voice this drawback. My thought process is that I want the entire country tuned in to see the Mean Green, and the Cotton Bowl might not give us this, but other than that, the Cotton Bowl is great.

For reference, I'm providing the game dates and times (Central):

New Orleans - Saturday, December 21 @ 8 PM

Beef 'O' Brady's - Monday, December 23 @ 1 PM

Hawaii - Tuesday, December 24 @ 7 PM

Military - Friday, December 27 @ 1:30 PM

Liberty - Tuesday, December 31 @ 3 PM

Heart of Dallas - Wednesday, January 1 @ 11 AM

• Upvote 2

Another big issue with the Hawai'i Bowl goes back to the net amount of the payout after expenses...somebody said CUSA ponies up the travel costs, but that was the first time I heard that. If they don't, the payout from Hawai'i is more like 200-300K, isn't it?

Watch NT get stuck with the NO Bowl again....

:o

No bowl since 2004. My least favorite bowl would be Hawaii and that beats the hell out of sitting at home.

Ending up in NO is NOT a bad thing. I don't think anywhere else compares for a weekend getaway except Las Vegas. The drawback to NO is playing ULL with 30K Cajuns screaming their drunken heads off.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Outside the Liberty, bowl selection is by a local bowl committee working in partnership with the conferences that are contractually tied to them. Those people want the same thing, to place teams in bowl that will be the best attended.

The Military bowl will have a team from the east.

NT will have a huge advantage over any other team in the West simply because by the latest University estimates we have 225,000 alumni in the DFW region.

NO Bowl will want a Tulane/ULL matchup.

So for us this year it really comes down to the Liberty or the HoD. A great spot to be in.

Outside the Liberty, bowl selection is by a local bowl committee working in partnership with the conferences that are contractually tied to them. Those people want the same thing, to place teams in bowl that will be the best attended.

The Military bowl will have a team from the east.

NT will have a huge advantage over any other team in the West simply because by the latest University estimates we have 225,000 alumni in the DFW region.

NO Bowl will want a Tulane/ULL matchup.

So for us this year it really comes down to the Liberty or the HoD. A great spot to be in.

I completely agree. Outside shot at the N.O. bowl, but I'll be shocked if we wind up anywhere else.