shaft

Let's see if I've got this right. CUSA has 6 bowl tie-ins for 2013

1. Liberty (Memphis) = CUSA Champ vs SEC #8 or American #5

2. Heart of Dallas (Dallas) = CUSA vs. Big Ten #7

3. Military (Annapolis) = CUSA vs. ACC #8

4. Beef O'Bradys (St Petersburg) = CUSA vs. American #6

5. Hawaii (Honolulu) = CUSA vs. MWC #5

6. RL Carrier (New Orleans) = CUSA vs. SBC #1

Outside of the Liberty the bowls don't have to pick in ranked order and can select the best draw for their bowl.

CUSA bowl eligible teams will most likely be:

Tulane, Rice, UNT, ECU, Marshall, MTSU

So where does everyone end up? And how to do we stay out of the Hawaii bowl?

• Upvote 1

Based on what you said.

1. Liberty (Memphis) = CUSA Champ vs SEC #8 or American #5 - North Texas

2. Heart of Dallas (Dallas) = CUSA vs. Big Ten #7 - Rice

3. Military (Annapolis) = CUSA vs. ACC #8 - ECU

4. Beef O'Bradys (St Petersburg) = CUSA vs. American #6 - MTSU

5. Hawaii (Honolulu) = CUSA vs. MWC #5 - Marshall

6. RL Carrier (New Orleans) = CUSA vs. SBC #1 - Tulane

Based on what you said.

1. Liberty (Memphis) = CUSA Champ vs SEC #8 or American #5 - North Texas

2. Heart of Dallas (Dallas) = CUSA vs. Big Ten #7 - Rice

3. Military (Annapolis) = CUSA vs. ACC #8 - ECU

4. Beef O'Bradys (St Petersburg) = CUSA vs. American #6 - MTSU

5. Hawaii (Honolulu) = CUSA vs. MWC #5 - Marshall

6. RL Carrier (New Orleans) = CUSA vs. SBC #1 - Tulane

What is the deal with Tulane getting New Orleans besides their location? Because they're leaving the C-USA? Really wish I understood the nuances of bowl selection.

Let's see if I've got this right. CUSA has 6 bowl tie-ins for 2013

1. Liberty (Memphis) = CUSA Champ vs SEC #8 or American #5

2. Heart of Dallas (Dallas) = CUSA vs. Big Ten #7

3. Military (Annapolis) = CUSA vs. ACC #8

4. Beef O'Bradys (St Petersburg) = CUSA vs. American #6

5. Hawaii (Honolulu) = CUSA vs. MWC #5

6. RL Carrier (New Orleans) = CUSA vs. SBC #1

Outside of the Liberty the bowls don't have to pick in ranked order and can select the best draw for their bowl.

CUSA bowl eligible teams will most likely be:

Tulane, Rice, UNT, ECU, Marshall, MTSU

So where does everyone end up? And how to do we stay out of the Hawaii bowl?

WIN OUT!!!! #Hit9

• Upvote 1

So what does the Hawaii bowl go off of? I think they should get rid of that bowl, at least an Alaska bowl would be driveable..kinda..

Outside Liberty Bowl, the bowls get to pick who they want (with certain restrictions). That is why it seems obvious that the New Orleans bowl would pick the school from New Orleans.

Forgot the Armed Forces Bowl.

Here are the tie-ins by final C-USA standings. It doesn't always work out this way, but typically the C-USA champ goes to Memphis and the runner-up goes to Honolulu.

If we don't go to the championship game, very good shot of a local bowl by finishing #3 or #4.

#1 The Liberty Bowl versus SEC #8.
#2 The Hawai'i Bowl versus Mountain West #5.
#3 The Armed Forces Bowl versus Mountain West #3.
#4 The Heart of Dallas Bowl versus Big Ten #7
#5 The Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl [3] versus AAC #5.
#6 The Military Bowl versus ACC #8.
#7 The New Orleans Bowl versus Sun Belt #1.

The Liberty Bowl is CUSA Champs vs #8 or #5? That's not good. We need our champ to play either MWC or AAC champ.

I agree. Number 8 SEC would at least have a name, but a number 5 AAC could end up being not the most exciting opponent. Even though I'd love to play in Dallas, we've still gotta do our best to win every game in front of us.

The CUSA champ is obligated to the Liberty Bowl; the others are bowl choices. I would imagine that the bowls pick from those eligible with the picks in payout order. Here are the payout amounts:

Liberty Bowl - $2.875 million

Heart of Dallas - $2.2 million

Military - $2.0 million

Hawaii - $1.3 million

Beff O'Brady - $1.075 million

New Orleans - $1.0 million

Liberty Bowl - I would expect the champion to be Marshall or East Caroline. I'm picking Marshall.

Heart of Dallas - North Texas. I believe that we would sell far more tickets than any other eligible.

Military - East Carolina. Better known in the area and would bring a lot of fans.

Hawaii - Tulane. More of a 'name' and more monied people.

Beff O'Brady - Rice. Reputation and record.

New Orleans - Middle Tennessee. Should be bowl eligible. I believe that they need one win in three.

The Armed Forces Bowl at Amon Carter Stadium matches the Mountain West against a Big XII team this year.

But keep in mind, the SEC does have a veto option in the Liberty bowl every two years. That's why Southern Miss went to Hawaii Bowl despite winning C-USA.

http://www.minerrush.com/2011/12/5/2611969/bowling-time-liberty-disses-c-usa-houston-falls-to-ticket-city-bowl

Perhaps the biggest bowl news today in the C-USA was the fact that the Liberty Bowl decided not to invite C-USA champion Southern Miss. The Golden Eagles would have been the 17th straight C-USA Champ to participate in the bowl. Despite the fact that USM is now ranked 21st in the AP Poll, the Liberty Bowl opted for a Big East vs. SEC matchup (Vanderbilt vs. Cincinnati). Iliana Limon of the Orlando Sentinel has a very informative blog post up on how the SEC muscled the C-USA Champ out of the game.

In the Liberty Bowl’s defense, it has remained loyal to Conference USA for years. It’s refusal to drop C-USA and match an SEC team with a Big East team on a regular basis cost it valuable position within the SEC pecking order. The negotiations seemed to finally reach a breaking point two years ago, with the Liberty Bowl forced to agree to a complex contract that effectively gave the SEC veto power every two years.

@Flyer Not sure CUSA has the Armed Forces Bowl tie-in this season. I pretty sure they 6 bowls, not 7.

As far as the SEC/Liberty Bowl, I thought the new contract guaranteed CUSA champ that slot.

Also I thought CUSA pooled all bowl funds then paid out an allotment for all bowl teams, then an allotment for the rest of the conference. But CUSA picks up the travel tab to the bowls.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe UTSA is bowl eligible this year as part of their transition to FBS. I remember reading somewhere that 2014 would be their first eligible year.

I decided to research before clicking "post"...

In what conference will UTSA play?

The football team will play a 10-game schedule as an NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS/formerly Division I-AA) independent in 2011. UTSA has received an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) and will move all 17 of its sports into that league beginning with the 2012-13 academic year. In 2012, the football team will play a 12-game schedule, including six games against members of the WAC, but that league schedule has yet to be determined. The 2012 and 2013 seasons will be reclassification years as the team transitions to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS/formerly Division I-A). In 2014, the program will be a full FBS member and will be bowl eligible. To see the 2011 and future UTSA football schedules

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3758837

So, UTSA will not be eligible even if they win out

• Upvote 1

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe UTSA is bowl eligible this year as part of their transition to FBS. I remember reading somewhere that 2014 would be their first eligible year.

I decided to research before clicking "post"...

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3758837

So, UTSA will not be eligible even if they win out

The only way UTSA gets to a bowl is if there are not enough teams to participate is how I understand it.

The only way UTSA gets to a bowl is if there are not enough teams to participate is how I understand it.

Correct.

Six bowl slots this year.

Rice, Tulane and us are eligible. So three left.

ECU is a five, if they hold out against FIU that is the 4th, if not they will get there by winning one in 4 games. (TUL, UAB, NCSU, Marsh)

Marshall is a five, have four games to win one. (UAB, @TUL, @FIU, ECU)

MTSU is at 5, only have three games left, but should be able to win one. (FIU, @USM, UTEP)

That is six. FAU can even become eligible if they win out. (@USM, NMSU, FIU)

UTSA doesn't have much of a chance.

• Upvote 3

ECU wins.

Four Eligible teams:
Tulane
North Texas
Rice
ECU

I can't imagine Marshall and MTSU not winning much more each to become #5 and #6.

I would give FAU a 40% chance at winning out to become #7.

Technically, UTSA could win the conference, and they still wouldn't get to go to a bowl game.