MGN Film Room: Rice Game

aztecskin

Great stuff as usual. What I like about your write ups is you give credit to the unsung heroes in the case the defensive line. They don't get as much pub as Orr, Trice and Lee etc but they are making so much happen penetration wise with a standard 4 man front it helps the entire defense.

One thing you made me think about was how Austin Orr is starting to be a reliable option behind Abbe.

Good stuff. Only thing Bellazin had the RB as his responsibility not the QB. Orr was scraping over the top with QB has his responsibility and Wright had the pitchman. The way to stoping the option is maintaining accountability for all options. The Rice QB read Bellazin collapsing so he pulled the ball. He then saw Orr had the angle on him so he pitched it hoping his RB would make Wright miss. End result a loss. That's just good fundamental defense folks.

• Upvote 1

Good stuff. Only thing Bellazin had the RB as his responsibility not the QB. Orr was scraping over the top with QB has his responsibility and Wright had the pitchman. The way to stoping the option is maintaining accountability for all options. The Rice QB read Bellazin collapsing so he pulled the ball. He then saw Orr had the angle on him so he pitched it hoping his RB would make Wright miss. End result a loss. That's just good fundamental defense folks.

Yeah I couldn't tell for sure if that was a scrape because Bellazin didn't crash like I've seen Chad Polk do. He slid down the line. Also, Zach and Will are pretty aggressive when they read run. Whatever the call, the result was the same. Bellazin and Orr had McHargue dead to rights and Wright had pitch. Love how fast they flow in general, and especially on that last clip. They move with the ball.

After re-watching the game on TV, the assignment & tackling discipline on the Rice option/bubble screen game really seemed to impact their play calling late (especially on The STAND).

Yeah. It got them discombobulated. The screens and quicks are constraint stuff to keep the box at 7 -- favorable run number -- but Kenny Buyers and Jones were tacking too well. I linked to it in this post but there are a ton in the highlights. Hilbert Jackson had a problem tacking in the open field. Zac Whitfield is solid but Buyers and jones are amazing.