UNT survives exhibition test

Harry

DENTON The North Texas men survived a ragged performance before finally shaking off Oklahoma City in the closing minutes for a 78-70 win in an exhibition game Friday night at the Super Pit.

The Mean Green struggled on offense, shooting 38.6 percent from the field and 58.3 percent from the free throw line.

This is why you play exhibition games, North Texas coach Tony Benford said. We have some things we need to clean up, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

Benford also said the team would have to adjust to new hand-check rules this season, evidenced by an average of almost 1 1/2 called fouls per minute of play.

Any contact, and theyre going to call you, Benford said. We have to get better at recognizing that as a team. We have to defend without fouling. Teams across the country are going to have to adjust the way they play.

Chris Jones and Jordan Williams led the way for UNT with 16 and 12 points respectively, and Keith Coleman and transfers T.J. Taylor (from Marquette) and Armani Flannigan (from Central Wyoming State) had strong efforts as well. Coleman had 11 points and eight rebounds, Taylor had 10 points and two steals, and Flannigan pulled down 10 rebounds and added six points and a block.

Both teams suffered through an offensive drought in the opening period, combining to hit 29.5 percent of their shots from the field and making just 18 field goals in the first half. They combined to shoot just 38.3 percent for the game. Oklahoma City shot more free throw attempts than field goals.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/01/5298776/unt-survives-exhibition-test.html#storylink=cpy

I think poor play had to do with the slow play due to the ridiculous amounts of fouls called

That's the way college basketball will be this year.. I'm afraid it's really going to turn fans off. It's actually a low numbers vs some of the other exhibitions I've seen. The Kansas state / Pittsburgh st game had 61 fouls called

That's the way college basketball will be this year.. I'm afraid it's really going to turn fans off. It's actually a low numbers vs some of the other exhibitions I've seen. The Kansas state / Pittsburgh st game had 61 fouls called

As if I didn't have enough reason to absolutely not care about the sport. Let's take the way that the last two minutes of every basketball game ever played get drawn out into a six hour free throw contest and make the WHOLE GAME that way!

• Upvote 1

Essentially it is going to be like watching an NBA all star game. No defense. Of course then Benford will get blamed when we give up 90 points to a team. But half of the "fouls" or more lat night were not fouls last year. You pretty much need to stay a foot or two away from all players at all times.

Edited by Andrew

Essentially it is going to be like watching an NBA all star game. No defense. Of course then Benford will get blamed when we give up 90 points to a team. But half of the "fouls" or more lat night were not fouls last year. You pretty much need to stay a foot or two away from all players at all times.

I bet it's gonna eventually find some happy medium. The officials are gonna call everything at first (try to lay down the law what have you), but by March they will allow some of it back. That's what tends to happen when officials really crack down with a new focus....in any sport really.

I hope you are right because it's very hard for me to explain how boring the game was to watch last night. I live basketball season but last night left me with little excitement. I will be going to the next exhibition game and hopefully it's better. I also think they must have called in a member of the C team or went out to a local middle school to grab a ref. the one that was a. It heavier with the dark hair looked like he had no clue what he was doing. Finally 3 or 4 his calls were overruled by the other two in the second half.

I think the idea is that the players will adjust and it'll be a more free flowing, offense heavy, game by midseason. If the guards can't hand check, there should be more driving to the lane and fast breaking.

In theory.

They are basically trying to get rid off BIG 10 basketball :)

I did not see that impact last night. Both teams swung the ball around the permitter because the paint was clogged and then a foul was called somewhere up around the 3 point line and we would reset and do it again.

I would not expect it to be hunky dory after one game. It'll take time for teams to adjust how to play defensively. Again, this is pretty common when a sport starts focusing on something. I mean in football all of the borderline hits that are now personal fouls or in hockey so much more obstruction penalties than ten or so years ago (though not as many as when they started focusing on calling them back in 2007 or so).

It's a pretty typical thing. Officials are trying to learn how to manage the games...and players are getting used to an entirely new way of paying. Give it some time. The season hasn't even started for real yet.

Edited by CMJ

As if I didn't have enough reason to absolutely not care about the sport. Let's take the way that the last two minutes of every basketball game ever played get drawn out into a six hour free throw contest and make the WHOLE GAME that way!

In some ways, the way the endgame in basketball has evolved violates the spirit of the game. Today it's just standard strategy to intentionally foul when you're down by a couple possessions, hoping the opponent misses the foul shots and giving you a chance.

I recall reading an article a couple of years ago with a suggestion that the answer to the endgame beat down is to give three free throws for intentional fouls with less than two minutes to play.

• Upvote 1

I did not see that impact last night. Both teams swung the ball around the permitter because the paint was clogged and then a foul was called somewhere up around the 3 point line and we would reset and do it again.

Maybe the paint was still wet on that new floor.

• Upvote 1

In some ways, the way the endgame in basketball has evolved violates the spirit of the game. Today it's just standard strategy to intentionally foul when you're down by a couple possessions, hoping the opponent misses the foul shots and giving you a chance.

I recall reading an article a couple of years ago with a suggestion that the answer to the endgame beat down is to give three free throws for intentional fouls with less than two minutes to play.

Fouling at the end of the game to get extra possessions was always around to a degree, but it didn't start morphing into the strategy that exists now until Valvano employed it so successfully at NC State in 1983.