Let us not spit the bit

...like Mizzou did against South Carolina. This is an opportunity. There have enough veteran players on this squad that should be able to provide the leadership needed, and step up to make plays when needed.

Although, I gotta tell you...I won't freak out if we lose. The sixth win, and likely the seventh and eighth are still available if we don't get this one. It would just be nice to go ahead and nail it down tonight, on national TV, against an opponent with a winning record.

Getting the sixth against UTEP wouldn't be as sexy, I suppose, is what the real gist is. Still satisfying, but not as sexy. Like a quickie.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Although, I gotta tell you...I won't freak out if we lose. The sixth win, and likely the seventh and eighth are still available if we don't get this one. It would just be nice to go ahead and nail it down tonight, on national TV, against an opponent with a winning record.

Agree. Will not be the end of the world, but if UNT wins, there's a terrific chance to run the table from here, and CUSA championship is still in play.

Winning tonight would be incredibly good for the program, but wouldn't be a deal-killer.

• Upvote 1

Losing is not an option! GMG!

Totally agree - fair weather fans would find it too easy to fall off the bandwagon if we can't pull this out. After hearing how 'things have changed' this season we need to continue to build on our success and convince nay-sayers that something special has begun. If we lose tonite and win out the rest of our schedule, I'll still be disappointed in mediocrity.

We will never get where we want to be by only aiming as high as our best C-USA competition, we've go to measure ourselves against the best in the country and not be satisfied until we can compete with these programs. I know things don't change overnite, but the ups and downs of perpetual 'rebuilding years' chop down fans-in-the-making and keep us spinning our wheels. At some point there is no substitution for victory, and starting now, we must not let statement games like this go through our fingers.

• Upvote 2

This is a huge statement game and we need to finish it with a WIN!!!

I think everyone one on this board understands this.

That is why there are threads about not being able to sleep, and thread talking about how if we don't win this game then Johnny Jones should be fired.

There are even some jerks that are trolling students about student attendance in order to enrage them and have them redouble their efforts to drag people out to the game.

But yes, please, PLEASE WIN THIS GAME.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Totally agree - fair weather fans would find it too easy to fall off the bandwagon if we can't pull this out. After hearing how 'things have changed' this season we need to continue to build on our success and convince nay-sayers that something special has begun. If we lose tonite and win out the rest of our schedule, I'll still be disappointed in mediocrity.

We will never get where we want to be by only aiming as high as our best C-USA competition, we've go to measure ourselves against the best in the country and not be satisfied until we can compete with these programs. I know things don't change overnite, but the ups and downs of perpetual 'rebuilding years' chop down fans-in-the-making and keep us spinning our wheels. At some point there is no substitution for victory, and starting now, we must not let statement games like this go through our fingers.

What a way to enter the board--welcome!

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I've been around here for a bit but finally felt like it was time to post something.

I started going to UNT in 2004, and like a fool, assumed the New Orleans Bowl trips would continue. Freshman year my girlfriend and I skipped out on that chance and we have forever regretted it. As we all know, that next trip to New Orleans never came, and many frustrating years followed. Despite this, we were at every home game as undergrads, and I've always been very proud of my university, so it was painfull to get kicked around for so long.

I believe that our university is on the precipice of taking great strides toward becoming a top tier institution, and I am very happy with the progress our football team is making in concert with this rise. This is why I feel like the stars are aligned, right now, for us to pounce on this chance and finally earn the respect UNT nation deserves, both academically and on the field.

The great ones always make the most of the shots they are given and tonite's game will be telling of our character.

• Upvote 5

Thanks, I've been around here for a bit but finally felt like it was time to post something.

I started going to UNT in 2004, and like a fool, assumed the New Orleans Bowl trips would continue. Freshman year my girlfriend and I skipped out on that chance and we have forever regretted it. As we all know, that next trip to New Orleans never came, and many frustrating years followed. Despite this, we were at every home game as undergrads, and I've always been very proud of my university, so it was painfull to get kicked around for so long.

I believe that our university is on the precipice of taking great strides toward becoming a top tier institution, and I am very happy with the progress our football team is making in concert with this rise. This is why I feel like the stars are aligned, right now, for us to pounce on this chance and finally earn the respect UNT nation deserves, both academically and on the field.

The great ones always make the most of the shots they are given and tonite's game will be telling of our character.

Mean Joe would be proud.

We have to hand it to our coaches and players, they took the short week and made the most of it. Things didn't start off pretty, but we came around and pounded Rice into submission. Let's keep this up.

I had mentioned that we would find out about our character tonite, and if this is what our team is made of, they are damn-good representatives of Mean Green Nation.

Great first posts.

This is why all current students should make a trip to a bowl game.

Awesome game last night! This is a tough, gritty, clutch team.

Run the ball - check

Stop the run - check

Play effective and mistake free special teams - check, check, check!

This is what football looks like. Goal line stands. Double it. Give me that all day long over gimmicky spread offenses and defenses worn out from having been on the field too long.

Damn, boys! We got real football at North Texas again!

Awesome game last night! This is a tough, gritty, clutch team.

Run the ball - check

Stop the run - check

Play effective and mistake free special teams - check, check, check!

This is what football looks like. Goal line stands. Double it. Give me that all day long over gimmicky spread offenses and defenses worn out from having been on the field too long.

Damn, boys! We got real football at North Texas again!

well... they did get points off of a special teams mistake, but then again, we got more.

Yeah, I kind of overlooked that bad snap. I thought Macek did a good job. The kickoffs and coverage were good. Brelan is Brelan. No blocked or missed PATs.

Macek's first half punts left the Owls at the 10, 13, and 12. Not too shabby. Rice had outscored it's opponents in the first quarter by something like 50 points. Their offense snapped the ball once on our side of the 50 in the first quarter...and, that play become Orr's TD!

In all, four of Macek's six punts left Rice inside the 20. Great control for a kid in short punting situations. No touchbacks! Bad snap is not good. Only gave up 14 punt return yards on two attempts. That's good stuff. That's hang time and control from Macek.

Color me impressed with the duo from Sulphur Springs, Macak and Y'Barbo.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch