The Break Down (Rice vs UNT)

Mean_Green09

Here it is:

The Break Down

I'm tired, beat up, but I got it done after a couple of late nights. Not my best work, but to make up for that I will be answering any of your Rice questions. If you got questions about their tendencies or formations or anything related to their gameplay just post a question in this topic and I will answer it. I look forward to seeing y'all at the game. Now lets go kick some butt!

Go Mean Green!

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Upvote 5

Great work!

Sounds like with the way Rice spreads out on defense we'll be able to run the ball effectively. When we can get the run game established we tend to have very successful games. Hope tonight is one of those!

If Jordan Taylor is the biggest mis-match threat for us, how often do you expect they'll go to him and how do we remove him as a factor?

Great work!

Sounds like with the way Rice spreads out on defense we'll be able to run the ball effectively. When we can get the run game established we tend to have very successful games. Hope tonight is one of those!

If Jordan Taylor is the biggest mis-match threat for us, how often do you expect they'll go to him and how do we remove him as a factor?

Also who do you put on Taylor? My play would be James Jones.

I expect for McHargue to look his way early in the game. Especially if UNT gets them in long down and distance situations. Consider this McHargue threw 19 passes against UTEP last week and 8 of the 19 went the way of Taylor. Three were TD's and none were shorter than 23 yards. He is 6'5 runs around a 4.5 and really athletic played QB in high school so he has a pretty good understanding of coverage's. You can expect to see a large volume of the Owl passes go his way.

Two ways you can slow down him down. One is a good pass rush. If UNT is getting pressure on McHargue it takes away that ability to run deep routes down the field. Two put Buyers on him and give him help over the top. I want some one who is physical and can slow his release down. I just think Buyers could really frustrate him with his physical play. You have to feel confident that at least one guy Trice or Lee can help support in the run department. I don't think you need both unless they are gashing us. So I'd mix it up on who helps over the top.

Personally I think that you may see more of Jones on him because UNT will probably like to see Buyers on the strong side helping with run support. Which is something that Buyers does really well.

Two key things:

Rice has a ton of rushing yards, but it's against fairly weak opponents. Not taking anything away from their RB - he is good, but his OL isn't as stout as Georgia's and he's not a Heisman-quality RB.

Turnovers to Rice need to be minimal. Sure, our defense can hold all sorts of teams away from the red zone, but the important thing is to make sure they don't get many opportunities to do so.

Other than Taylor, this is what scares me:

I think we struggle with containment and have seen some big runs from mobile QBs. We often get a push upfield only to leave open a huge lane for the QB to take off downfield.

Are you suggesting a shadow on their QB? Perhaps on long 3rd downs? Personally if I'm Rice I would try that all night long --- our film will show them it has worked against us. I hope Skladany prepares for this and I think he will.

Other than Taylor, this is what scares me:

I think we struggle with containment and have seen some big runs from mobile QBs. We often get a push upfield only to leave open a huge lane for the QB to take off downfield.

Yes I agree. You have to squeeze their QB in the pocket. Almost like making a fist around him leaving no room for an escape. I will say this that McHargue does a good job of stepping up in the pocket. Thats where his general movement seems to take him

Are you suggesting a shadow on their QB? Perhaps on long 3rd downs? Personally if I'm Rice I would try that all night long --- our film will show them it has worked against us. I hope Skladany prepares for this and I think he will.

He hasn't shadowed or spied on a QB yet this year. So Not quite sure if he will do it. What he may try is a delayed blitz with Wright or Orr where their main responsibility is QB

This game will come down to turnovers. Who ever has less will win.

You know turnovers are a key in every game. It get magnified more when the stakes are higher though. One thing that isn't really talked about is how teams can force turnovers.

Obviously with North Texas, the first thing that comes to mind is how well they fly to the ball and hit the opposing team. The Rice RB Ross has a tendency to carry that ball a little loose at times, so a big hit could put the ball on the ground.

Rice is an option team so their ball handling has to crisp against an attacking defense like UNT. Could we see a few hits at the mesh point tonight? Perhaps.

I think Rice could force some turnovers by giving Derek some different looks with its LB's. It's seemed a lot of his picks across the middle where just poor reads. Almost like he didn't see the defender in front. Derek has that tendency to throw off his back foot sometimes too in the face of pressure. So lets see how well Rice gets to him.

Yes I agree turnovers will be key, but I'm interested in how they are caused in this game. Who can create turnover opportunities the best in this game.

• Upvote 2

What do ya'll think about putting together some funds for next season for Mean_Green09 to have a designated section on GoMeanGreen and be able to even enhance his stuff more graphically and what not?

I'm certainly open to any idea. I do this for our fans. I felt there were so many other sites of other teams doing a pretty good job breaking down their teams game. I felt our fan base was missing it and so I've set out to deliver the goods to our fans without making them pay $100 bucks for analysis.

Believe me when I say that there are something's that I want to do, but just haven't had the time to develop them yet. I don't want to get into to specifics, but I think that they will only enhance your knowledge as a fan.

Here it is:

The Break Down

I'm tired, beat up, but I got it done after a couple of late nights. Not my best work, but to make up for that I will be answering any of your Rice questions. If you got questions about their tendencies or formations or anything related to their gameplay just post a question in this topic and I will answer it. I look forward to seeing y'all at the game. Now lets go kick some butt!

Go Mean Green!

This post has been promoted to an article

This is excellent. Thank you!