Crazy talk: UTSA over Tulane

casual fan

CUSA champinship and the 4-0 Tulane problem

Tulane has 4 games left: @FAU, @UTSA, vs UTEP, and @ Rice.

My question is: Can UTSA beat Tulane in San Antonio?

Crazy talk I know but hear me out.

How many thought UTSA would have a better record than Tulsa a this point in the season?

Yesterday they beat UAB 52-31 in Alabama putting up 523 yards of offense.

The week prior they lost to Rice 27-21 in SA but out gained them 434-340.

It will be the 2nd of 2 road games for Tulane and it has trap written all over it.

I think Rice is a better team than Tulane and will hand them a loss the last game of the season.

So the question is: Is it possible that UTSA helps us out and hands Tulane a 2nd loss in SA?

We must beat Rice for this to matter.

• Upvote 2

UTSA has only won a game at home this season and it was against a now 2-5 UAB. Tulane is a much tougher team. It will be an interesting contest to see who comes out on top. Right now my money would be on Tulane to win the game.

This. FAU is a stronger squad than their record shows. UTSA has a shot but I feel FAU is better.

FAU is great at finding ways to lose games. Tulane is great at finding ways to win games.

Terrible combination.

Beat Rice and hope for a 3 way tie.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

UTSA has only won a game at home this season and it was against a now 2-5 UAB. Tulane is a much tougher team. It will be an interesting contest to see who comes out on top. Right now my money would be on Tulane to win the game.

True, but consider the 3 UTSA home losses. (Houston 6-1, Ok St. 6-1 & Rice 6-2) Their other 2 losses were Arizona 5-2 & Marshall 4-3 on the road.

Rice, FAU, & UTSA all played hard out of conf. schedules.

Tulane had a very soft out of conf. schedule playing S Ala 3-4, L Monroe 4-4, Syracuse 3-4, & Jackson St (which has an impressive 1-0 win over Grambling by the way). Tulane has only played 3 games on the road & 5 at home. I think they will be tested in their next 3 road games.

A 2 way tie with UNT and Rice for the title would be nice.

Edited by casual fan

I was at that game. Rice controlled that game easily until UTSA scored two late.

I see it in the scoreboard, but I am still trying to see how Rice "controlled" this game in the stat line.

Dead even on average yards per play (5.4), but UTSA snapped the ball 80 times to Rice's 63. UTSA had more total yards, especially rushing where they had a 5.4 ypc average (Rice 3.8). TOP favored UTSA by 9 minutes. UTSA also had a decided (24-15) advantage in 1st down total.

The only thing I can take from the stat sheet is that a productive UTSA offense gifted Rice with a single fumble? Can you elaborate on what you saw that makes you say Rice controlled this game?

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2013-2014/rice06.html

EDIT: I'm trying to find average starting field position

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1