High School Playoff Games at Apogee?

rws69

Noticed this morning that area class 5 regional football playoffs will be at AT&T Stadium the weekend of November 23, but that site is not available for bi-district games the weekend of November 16. Is the UNT actively pursuing hosting bi-district games that weekend or quarter finals the weekend of November 30? This is a great opportunity to show off Apogee to high school players and fans.

• Upvote 2

Sherman has played a couple of playoff games at Apogee. Frisco & Highland Park played there last year. I think Liberty Christian may have played there also.

Yep...they sure did....as did all the other games mentioned. I wonder why folks keep talking about how we were promised HS playoff games at Apogee and have not had any when the facts are that playoff games HAVE been played at Apogee.

I do not recall being promised a certain number of games or who will play there or games every year and on and on. We were told playoff games would be held at Apogee...they have been and it is likely there will be HS playoff games at Apogee in the future.

• Upvote 5

I don't know about current AT&T Stadium prices, but the old Texas Stadium prices were actually quite cheap. Jerry wanted HS games there and made it very cheap for the schools. He charged parking to the fans and got the the concession money. But it used to be far less expensive than the Astrodome or Memorial in Austin.

It built fans!

Now, he could absorb more costs than NT can. Still I wish we would do everything possible to make holding games at Apogee easy for high schools.

The problem with Apogee is that it is not halfway between any schools. Most look for a neutral site somewhere between the two schools. There are just not that many schools north of DFW that would use a stadium that large.

Small schools north of Apogee usually will pick a smaller stadium so the crowd has a larger impact on the game. When I coached at a 3A, we would use 5A stadiums without a track. We played once at Fouts, but our favorite was The Bone Yard at Lake Highlands.

Even when I was at a 5A, we would often try to stay on high school fields with turf. It is just not that big of a deal to the coaches to play at a college stadium.

If we do have a playoff game at Apogee involving Denton I S D schools charge them triple anybody else!! Collins was built just to thwart the building of Apogee and Denton ISD recruits never give N T even a glance in recruiting . Make paybacks hell for Denton!!

I think there are three Denton players on the roster right now... Edited by Army of Dad

If we do have a playoff game at Apogee involving Denton I S D schools charge them triple anybody else!! Collins was built just to thwart the building of Apogee and Denton ISD recruits never give N T even a glance in recruiting . Make paybacks hell for Denton!!

What are you talking about? CH Collins was in the works 7 years before Apogee had even broke ground.

The problem with Apogee is that it is not halfway between any schools. Most look for a neutral site somewhere between the two schools. There are just not that many schools north of DFW that would use a stadium that large.

Apogee is not the problem as far as high school play off games, it's Denton's location. Waco had several weekends last season where there were games at Floyd Casey, Waco ISD and Midway. Location, location, location.

There are exceptions to the rule however, and weird ones at that.

I to this day will always scratch my head over playing a Playoff Game (which we won handily) against Highland Park at the Independence Bowl in Shreveport.

Yes, Texas High School (Texarkana) and Highland Park (Dallas) battling it out in Loui-freaking-siana. It was strange. But fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Keller Fossil Ridge will be playing at UNT next Friday

Keller Fossil Ridge will indeed be playing Arlington High at 7:30 PM Friday 11/15 at Apogee.

I received a Mean Green Club email today saying that the Club Level will be open for use for that game. Tickets to be in the Club are $35 each. Must contact Taryn at the MGC by Wednesday to reserve your tickets. 100 reservations must be received in order to open the Club Level.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan will play cedar hill at Apogee this Saturday at 2.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/high-schools/high-school-football-headlines/20131202-football-ryan-guyer-set-games.ece

Ryan (10-2), which won in thrilling comeback fashion over Keller Fossil Ridge on Saturday, will play Cedar Hill (11-2) in the Class 5A Division II Region I final at 2 p.m. Saturday at Apogee Stadium. Cedar Hill eliminated Ryan from the postseason a year ago.