young Tony Mitchell finds his way

Harry

Mitchell's contributions primarily came much earlier in the game, while the Pistons were assisting 22 of their 26 first-half field goals, including all 10 they scored in the second quarter.

Mitchell was the first Piston off the bench. He finished with eight points on 4-of-4 shooting, plus a rebound, two assists and two blocked shots in 16 minutes.

The second-round draft pick from North Texas plays at the Pistons' most crowded position, power forward.

Greg Monroe starts there, while Josh Smith, who was healthy but didn't play Tuesday as a rest measure, also figures to play there regularly when not at small forward. Jonas Jerebko and Charlie Villanueva also play power forward.

But with Villanueva seemingly slipping in the pecking order, and Jerebko pressed into more small-forward minutes because of Gigi Datome's injury forcing Singler to play more at guard, Mitchell remains in the mix.

"I'm a rookie, you know what I'm saying? Whatever comes up to me, I just take it as it is," Mitchell said. "There's still a learning curve for myself and my fellow rookies, as well. I'm just trying to learn how to play the game under coach Cheeks. It's gone well, for the most part.

"Whoever plays, that's coach's decision at the end of the day. Right now, everybody's just working, trying to play together, learning each other a little bit."

The Pistons (3-4) continue to work through through preseason with several key injuries.

Read more: http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2013/10/mr_big_shot_still_rules_detroi.html

I like the lead in that article...

Watch Tony Mitchell sink a difficult buzzer beater at the end of the first quarter -- which was just one of several things he did right on Tuesday. If he keeps it up, Mo Cheeks hints that he might be due for more playing time.

"I'm a rookie, you know what I'm saying? Whatever comes up to me, I just take it as it is," Mitchell said. "There's still a learning curve for myself and my fellow rookies, as well. I'm just trying to learn how to play the game under coach Cheeks. It's gone well, for the most part.

"Whoever plays, that's coach's decision at the end of the day. Right now, everybody's just working, trying to play together, learning each other a little bit."

Sounds like he's learned his lessons from "Bull Durham"!

Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?

Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.

Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

Go Tony!

• Upvote 1