White explains decision to flip to TCU

Harry

Desmon White, a quarterback from DeSoto who committed to UNT earlier this month, has backed out of that pledge and now plans to sign with TCU.

White confirmed his plans via text message this morning.

“Just the competition of playing in the Big 12, and TCU has always been a school I wanted to attend,” White said of his reasoning for committing to TCU.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/10/white-explains-decision-to-flip-to-tcu.html/

Hope he is not one of those kids who see Big XII, SEC, etc. and sign for the "bright lights", then find they are relegated to the scout team or third team and sit until they decide to transfer.

Good luck to young Mr. White. Can't help, however, but think I'll be reading about your decision to transfer in a year or so. Hope not, but really doubt many kids from DeSoto have always wanted to attend TCU. Sounds like kid logic to me, but congrats and good luck.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hope he is not one of those kids who see Big XII, SEC, etc. and sign for the "bright lights", then find they are relegated to the scout team or third team and sit until they decide to transfer.

Good luck to young Mr. White. Can't help, however, but think I'll be reading about your decision to transfer in a year or so. Hope not, but really doubt many kids from DeSoto have always wanted to attend TCU. Sounds like kid logic to me, but congrats and good luck.

We simply cannot continue to think this way.

This isn't aimed at you KRAM, you're not the only one who feels this way, you were just the first person to say it...

When he committed to us (soft/solid/whatever), we were all excited about it and hoping he could step in to fill Brelan Chancellor's shoes as an electric playmaker. Now that he's going to TCU, he's looking at being 3rd string and stuff, and eventually transfering?

Is TCU really that much better than UNT? Do you think TCU wouldn't kill to have Brelan Chancellor on their team?

Right now, would UNT even be somewhat interested in a TCU transfer who is a 3rd stringer? ...maybe as a walk-on.

If he does well at TCU, great. If he doesn't do well at TCU, it doesn't mean he would have been a world-beater here. In that scenario, he probably wouldn't do well here either. We're not NAIA UT-Tyler. We're North Texas!

• Upvote 4

I love UNT. I really do.

But, I predicted TCU would cough it up in the Big 12. That they are peeling recruits off of us tells me how successful they are at recruiting against the Texases and Oklahomas.

I think Gary Patterson is a great defensive coach. But, they eeked out 7-6 record last year (one of the wins versus Grambling), going 4-5 in the Big 12. They are already 1-3 in Big 12 play this season. Their 3-4 record this year includes a win over FCS SE Louisiana.

I'd be shocked if they ever rise above the 6/7 win mark again.

They have upgraded their stadium, so...they can watch the losses mount in style?

I love UNT. I really do.

But, I predicted TCU would cough it up in the Big 12. That they are peeling recruits off of us tells me how successful they are at recruiting against the Texases and Oklahomas.

I think Gary Patterson is a great defensive coach. But, they eeked out 7-6 record last year (one of the wins versus Grambling), going 4-5 in the Big 12. They are already 1-3 in Big 12 play this season. Their 3-4 record this year includes a win over FCS SE Louisiana.

........who gave TCU fits before they finally lost.

In the grand scheme that is national perspective, we've won 4 games. 2 in a row.

Big f'n deal. White grew up watching TCU slug it out with Boise State as BCS busters, and beat Wisconsin in a Rose Bowl. He's all purple-eyed for the reason Cowpoke fans are still proud to wear white and blue: you won in the 1990s!

Guysguysbabesbabes! Our program is showing great improvement here, but take a step back.

Maybe I work with and around a couple TCU boosters who sit in the luxury suites. Maybe I've heard them talking about being fed up with fielding a bunch of drug addled thugs, and that the program is going to accept impending mediocrity in exchange for having some actual student athletes on the roster. The spotlight will have burned bright and fast on the frogs.

Some interesting perspectives here. I recall several here questioning UNT's decision to offer this kid, and now it's not appropriate to think he may have "over signed" going to the Big. XII?

OK.. So be it, but I do think there are some pretty good thoughts and responses in this thread making it a decent read.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Maybe I work with and around a couple TCU boosters who sit in the luxury suites. Maybe I've heard them talking about being fed up with fielding a bunch of drug addled thugs, and that the program is going to accept impending mediocrity in exchange for having some actual student athletes on the roster. The spotlight will have burned bright and fast on the frogs.

Tell them that the SMU boosters have been using that excuse since 1987 and that TCU needs to come up with something more original.

• Upvote 1

OK OK... So if Gary and the lizards change their collective minds, and since verbal commitments are non-binding either side (player or school) they could, and he is in fact not offered, what should NT's position be ? Is a deal a deal ? Or, is a deal a deal unless I get a better deal ?

Beat Southern Mississippi (that's a fun word to type) and then beat everybody else.

GO MEAN GREEN

OK OK... So if Gary and the lizards change their collective minds, and since verbal commitments are non-binding either side (player or school) they could, and he is in fact not offered, what should NT's position be ? Is a deal a deal ? Or, is a deal a deal unless I get a better deal ?

Beat Southern Mississippi (that's a fun word to type) and then beat everybody else.

GO MEAN GREEN

Just my .02 but you find someone else to take on the role envisioned that Desmon would play. If he were to come back it would come down to whether or not you filled that role that you saw him playing. If you filled it "let me tell you about our walk-on program" but if not you would have to consider bringing him back into the fold. I can't help but think that there wouldn't be resentment in the locker room about his being forced to take his obviously stated 2nd choice.

Just my .02 but you find someone else to take on the role envisioned that Desmon would play. If he were to come back it would come down to whether or not you filled that role that you saw him playing. If you filled it "let me tell you about our walk-on program" but if not you would have to consider bringing him back into the fold. I can't help but think that there wouldn't be resentment in the locker room about his being forced to take his obviously stated 2nd choice.

Let's face facts here. There are a number of players in that locker room that would have much rather signed with TCU, Texas, OU, Alabama, Ok St., or any big 5 program when they signed with UNT. Problem was, the other programs didn't want them. Thankfully, many seem to realize the value of where they ended up and take great pride in playing for UNT.

Hell, UNT wasn't even our best player recruiter's (Trice) first choice.

That the way college football recruiting go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For get this guy!

Move on!

Trust the staff to put their recruiting efforts into guys that want to come to North Texas!

February 2014 is a long way off.

There will be new recruiting opportunities coming our way before February!

Just think how a bowl game victory will help the recruiting efforts!

TCU is definitely feeling the effects of being in an AQ league where most of the teams you play each week are at least as good as you are and play in front of much bigger crowds than they did in the MWC weekin and week-out. BUt TCU has had its last two seasons foiled by Casey Pachall, from drug use and now his broken arm. Trayvon Boykin has regressed badly, since he got thrown to the wolves last year and no one knew what he could do. Now, with a year of film on him, they know he cannot throw the ball worth a damn consistently. Who knows, maybe TCU still sucks offensively if Pachall is their QB, but I bet not. I've seen a lot of their games and I can tell you that they wouldn't have lost all of those games to Tech, OU, and OSU on the road if Pachall is their QB. Maybe they lose two of those three, but their QB issues just doomed them in all 3 games.

It would very foolish to think Gary Patterson won't get this turned around with the right QB. They are one of the very few teams in the Big XII that can play defense. If you give that defense an offense that can at least score a few TDs and NOT give up up a lot of turnovers, you'll see a big difference. To me, everyone in that league, excpet for Baylor and Tech, have all digressed big time over the last couple of years. And I'll bet that Tech comes back to the pack to their normal 7-8 wins by the end of the season. Only Baylor has made leaps and bounds since 2010.

Speaking of the Big XII, look at what as happened to that league and those who joined in 2012. TCU and WVU have gone waaaayyy down from BCS bowl winners to barely fighting for .500. Texas and OU have had deep falls from playing in national championship games to barely getting ranked. OSU and KSU both had great teams that could have played for a national championship if not a couple of gigantic upsets, but they were senior-laden and are now back to being mediocre to good. Iowa State and Tech continue to be what they always have been, 5-8 win teams that won't win a championship anytime soon. A&M and Mizzou leave to the SEC and become great teams. Nebraska and Colorado continue to be about what they were in the Big XII in those later years, so there's nothing earth-shattering there. Kansas continues to suck, no matter who coaches there. Which leaves Baylor and Art Briles, who have taken advantage of the ineptness of their remaining Big XII brethren to build up quite a nice program in Waco, one that will make those Grant Teaff teams of the 70s and 80s look soft. But, even with that said, the absolute worst thing to happen tot he Big XII is to have little ol' Baylor dominate their conference--it just sends the message across the country that the Big XII is weak, even if Baylor is better than they have ever been.