Loss of dad the latest test UNT's Smith’s passed

Harry

Marcus Smith had just left a meeting with the rest of North Texas’ tight ends on a nondescript winter afternoon early this year when his phone buzzed to let him know a message was waiting.

Smith’s phone was always ringing, often to let him know his father was trying to get in touch with him to offer encouragement as he battled his way back from a second reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

The shock of hearing that those conversations were over after returning the message his grandmother left still resonates with Smith.

Jerome Edward Smith died of a heart attack Feb. 27, just seven days short of turning 56.

“My dad loved to talk to me and I loved to talk to him,” Smith said. “He would give me words of wisdom and encouragement. He told me nothing would be easy in life and was a major help when I was coming back from surgery. He was there with me the entire time.”

Smith, a solidly built sophomore with broad shoulders above biceps covered in tattoos, wondered Monday if he would have made it all the way back from a second ACL reconstruction and enjoyed his finest moment with the Mean Green last week if it hadn’t been for his father.

The former San Antonio Warren standout caught his first three passes of the season in a 34-7 win over Middle Tennessee on Saturday at Apogee Stadium. Smith finished with just one reception in three games a year ago, when his season was cut short by his second major knee injury.

UNT is hoping Smith’s performance against the Blue Raiders is an indication that he is beginning to capitalize on his considerable potential while honoring his father in a season that will continue with a game Saturday at Louisiana Tech.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131017-football-loss-of-dad-the-latest-test-smiths-passed.ece