Two Guys I look forward to seeing real soon!

Harry

At this point, conflicted with whether or not I want to see Q this season or try to get medical waiver and have 2 full years.

Do you play the "wait and see" strategy with Brown, meaning trying to get through the last 7 games without him? You are losing Bellazin and McCoy this year and it would be nice to get 2 more years from Q.

OR do you play him as soon as he's ready to go?

• Upvote 1

That's right...I remember that talk now, I guess he just hasn't officially transferred, thus he's not on the roster.

As for Brown, I think you get your talent on the field now...if he's good enough, both in terms of talent and health, to play ahead of Mason, Polk, McCoy and Bellezin then put him out there...get the people who can help you win on the field. New recruits like wins.

• Upvote 1

That's right...I remember that talk now, I guess he just hasn't officially transferred, thus he's not on the roster.

As for Brown, I think you get your talent on the field now...if he's good enough, both in terms of talent and health, to play ahead of Mason, Polk, McCoy and Bellezin then put him out there...get the people who can help you win on the field. New recruits like wins.

[/quote

Wallace has officially transferred and this is his year of mandatory sitting. He is the head-on favorite to replace Zach Orr at MLB next year.

As for Q Brown, I hope that he will wait until next year so that he will have two full years of play from him. He'd get very little playing time with Bellazin and Sarge in the lineup and Boutwell and Lincoln also playing DE in some formations.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

At this point, conflicted with whether or not I want to see Q this season or try to get medical waiver and have 2 full years.

He's already used a redshirt, so even getting the medical hardship waiver would not guarantee him a 6th year. And we just don't have a very good batting average with getting that 6th year. If he's going to be anywhere near 100% by the end of the season, we might as well try to get him on the field this year.

And guys, I'm pretty sure it's Anthony Wallace, not Aaron.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

I'm pretty sure Brown is out for the year I read that on an injury report. I could be mistaken though I can't find where I read that now.

Mac said in his press conference today that Brown will be back this season, just not sure when. Said he could not redshirt & would just lose the season if he doesn't play.

• Upvote 1

I think this gets into the area currently being addressed in a separate thread. If he does not play this year, he will lose a year of eligibility since he has already used his redshirt. However, he will be in perfect position to apply for a medical waiver if he pursues it and the university is willing to honor an additional year of financial aid.

• Upvote 1

Wallace has officially transferred and this is his year of mandatory sitting. He is the head-on favorite to replace Zach Orr at MLB next year.

As for Q Brown, I hope that he will wait until next year so that he will have two full years of play from him. He'd get very little playing time with Bellazin and Sarge in the lineup and Boutwell and Lincoln also playing DE in some formations.

I'm betting that Akunne slides over, unless Wallace is just THAT GOOD... which he very well may be.

• Upvote 1

Linebacker seems to be in pretty darn good shape moving forward...in spite of the fact that we'll be losing a great one in Orr. Akunne can play inside or outside...I've been impressed with Will Wright this season and especially in this last game...I think the third spot is up for grabs between Wallace, Scott and I don't know what his understanding of the position is yet, but Jamal Marshall physically looks like he could be one beast of an outside linebacker...6'3" 210...he may not still have the corner speed he had when he was recruited, but he's still fast enough to be a gunner on punt coverage.

Linebacker seems to be in pretty darn good shape moving forward...in spite of the fact that we'll be losing a great one in Orr. Akunne can play inside or outside...I've been impressed with Will Wright this season and especially in this last game...I think the third spot is up for grabs between Wallace, Scott and I don't know what his understanding of the position is yet, but Jamal Marshall physically looks like he could be one beast of an outside linebacker...6'3" 210...he may not still have the corner speed he had when he was recruited, but he's still fast enough to be a gunner on punt coverage.

Thinking back (to 2000), I don't recall a single year (even during the Dodge years) where linebackers were a weakness. We've been very lucky.

From what I hear, Marshall is still one of the fastest players on the team. He should be in the running for the OLB. he was going to run track for unt, but the football staff wanted him to bulk up.

Many football players run track and are fast in hs, but they lose a step and flexibilty with adding more weight, and lifting weights. Marshall has a good frame and maintained his speed.

I would not be surprised to see sed in the mix too. Another (state medalist) track guy that could add more muscle in the offseason, but still maintain that speed.