Is It Time For A 'UNT Green Brigade Marching Band" Section On.

PlummMeanGreen

The only thing I want is more movement when marching. The music is excellent, but a bit more of s show would be awesome.

Again do not take this negatively the band is the best around, but I do think a bit more marching would be nice. Also next time show the dude playing the electric guitar in the screen. He never gets shown and I feel like students do not even know it is being played. The guy is rocking it on the guitar and deserves some love.

No...

As much as I think Dr. Williams would love having hoards of UNT fanboys critique a band that has already been recognized as the best band in college football...

I'm using my Veto on this one.

Even if the critiques were 9 out of 10 of these? :thumbsu: No program is too perfect as to not expect a little constructive critcism. It's sorta' how all of us operated post graduation as we went into all our respective professions.

Bill Gates always wanted to know what all his grunts were thinking and valued their input--positive and negative.

A UNT Green Brigade Marching Band section would also serve as an information center as well. Might get many Green Brigade alums from decades past involved again with their school? It was merely an idea to help...not to hinder.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One question: The tubas had a single player with a white/green instrument...is there some story/tradition behind that?

His assigned tuba was mostly likely damaged and that's an old filler horn.

By the way, the super-magnets used to repair dents in tubas are way way fun and way way dangerous.

Great halftime performance. Their version of "Roseanna" is awesome.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Was "only" 32 years old when I first head Toto's Rosana on my new Pioneer sound system I had purchased at the old North Hills Mall (may she rest in peace) in North Richland Hills. I went absolutely NTSU, I mean NUTS first time I heard it and thought jazz and rock had made the perfect union with that Toto hit. Toto was basically a group of some very talented and fantastic studio musicians. Toto's David Paich (sang lead in Africa) would also collaborate with Boz Scaggs on some music later on .

Another song the UNT Green Brigade did on one of their CD's was "Get Away"; ie, the energetic reprise or instrumental ending to their huge hit "Hard To Say I'm Sorry."

Always thought that "Get Away" would have been a great song for our cheerleaders to put yell lyrics to, too. In "Get Away" our Green Brigade trombone section goes to town and brings that Chicago hit home big time. Hope they might consider putting it back in their already great repertoire.

:hair: YouTube sample of "Get Away" at bottom of page begins at 3:50 on the video timeline.

GMG!

PS: KRAM1, I second that emotion of Silver Eagle being moderator of that section if Harry decides to allow its birth. :)

PS2: I agree with Eastwood Eagle on an abbreviated "Fight Song" bit ie, the few "Lets Give A Cheer" measures to be played after a great play; somewhat like UT does with their few measures of "Texas Fight" after the Horns have made a great play

PS3: Any else notice how all these non-huddle offenses last night was not allowing our Apogee PA guy enough time (at times) to get in his.............AND THATS GOOD FOR ANOTHER MEAN GREEN.............FIRST DOWN! ? Can we get a flag if our fabulous marching band is finishing up while our opponents are calling their signals?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Ran into the director after the game and told him how awesome Roseanna sounded.

To you band guys out there, do you think "Gloria" by Laura Branigan would sound good as a marching band song? She had an impressive voice and the song seems to have a wide variety of instruments.

Ran into the director after the game and told him how awesome Roseanna sounded.

To you band guys out there, do you think "Gloria" by Laura Branigan would sound good as a marching band song? She had an impressive voice and the song seems to have a wide variety of instruments.

No. A bad, plodding song. The reason Roseanna works is that the rhythm drives it.

Absolutely love most everything the Green Brigade does EXCEPT the slow "Fly Like An Eagle" particularly when something big has happened. I don't remember the exciting play that had just happened but the band went into the slow, monotonous "fight?" song and it just killed the moment. We all dropped our heads like we were sleeping. BORING!!!! Do something else, PLEASE!!!!

• Upvote 1

I vote that SilverEagle gets to be a mod for this one if it happens.

Yeah, like that would ever happen. :rolleyes: Talk about Harry receiving a flood of complaints and me getting a flood of nasty PM's.

Come to think of it, that might be kind of fun...... B)

But, IF there is a separate Green Brigade section, the natural Mod for that would be "Letsgiveacheer".

Edited by SilverEagle

No...

As much as I think Dr. Williams would love having hoards of UNT fanboys critique a band that has already been recognized as the best band in college football...

Really? When I walked up to him (post game) after the Tulsa game a few years ago (over at Fouts) and gave him my critique, he didn't much care for it.

It was kind of amusing. I'd forgotten how snippy and dismissive "prima donna" types from the school of music can be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No...

1. By which authority?

2. I am second to none in my praise of their half time shows......when they get into it.

THEIR PRE-GAME SHOW STILL SUCKS..........OR IF YOU PREFER....BITES THE BIG ONE.

If you have forgotten my main issue with the Band let me review.

The primary job of ANY college band is to promote spirit for the University that they represent..... at every event that they attend.

You get that going by making a GRAND PRE-GAME UP-TEMPO ENTRANCE TO GET THE CROWD PUMPED UP. WANDERING OUT ON THE FIELD. FINDING YOUR SPOT. AND THEN STARTING THE PRE-GAME SUCKS. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS DONE IN A PERFUNCTORY MANNER.

It's clear to me that what the Band lives for, and saves all their energy for, is their HALF TIME SHOW.

For the umpteenth time. MUSICALLY the Green Brigade is without peer.

Before all that, their showmanship......SUCKS.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I agree with silver eagle. The band is just not doing it pre game or during the game. During the game they are just not loud enough and before the game there is no pageantry! One of the weakest intros in all of college football. Our team and alums deserve better. The band is amazing, but more can be done.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This idea is better.

Agreed. The Talons, don't exist except to man/woman the cannon. And even then, it's a last minute scramble at the end of the summer to get enough bodies together and have cannon practice. The only noticeable cheer/spirit event that I see the cheerleaders actually take control of is the "North-Texas" cheer holding up signs in the middle of the field. Here is what UTSA did their first year. A coordination between the band, the cheerleaders AND the announcer.....who, unlike the one the band uses, you could understand.

I don't know if they did it again after the first year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnrGZy5E1HE

Here (again) is the UTSA pre-game entrance, FANFARE (to both sides of the stadium) and fight song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDhz97kViqA

One of the things our cheer staff could do is get out on the field with the Band and hold up signs for the" U-N-T Eagles fight, fight, fight", portion of the fight song.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1