NORTH...TEXAS chant observation

BIG DAWG

The Jumbotton is a good idea. But what do you do when your away on the road?

That's why it needs a prompting from someone official, Scrappy, Cheerleaders... Something.

What Memphis did was have their cheerleaders roll their hands and yell Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!, and that got everyone's attention. Then they brought their arms down to start.

Arkansas does something similar I believe.

Rick

Makes sense to have Scrappy do it. In combination with the band. See Mike the Tiger and the LSU band. On cue every time. Crowd knows exactly what to do and when.

The Jumbotton is a good idea. But what do you do when your away on the road?

That's why it needs a prompting from someone official, Scrappy, Cheerleaders... Something.

What Memphis did was have their cheerleaders roll their hands and yell Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!, and that got everyone's attention. Then they brought their arms down to start.

Arkansas does something similar I believe.

Rick

You could do something similar with the cheerleaders circling their arms in the air starting with a long Noooooooooooooth, until everyone joins in the crescendo getting louder and louder until they drop their arms and everyone in unison spells out T - E - X - A - S....TEXAS!! Kind of a take-off of the Memphis Tigers chant you mentioned that I also thought they did a good job of when we played them in the New Orleans Bowl.

You could do something similar with the cheerleaders circling their arms in the air starting with a long Noooooooooooooth, until everyone joins in the crescendo getting louder and louder until they drop their arms and everyone in unison spells out T - E - X - A - S....TEXAS!! Kind of a take-off of the Memphis Tigers chant you mentioned that I also thought they did a good job of when we played them in the New Orleans Bowl.

Excellent suggestion.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Ok here's an example of the sort of thing we want. Arkansas. The PA announcer says, "All right all you Razorback fans, let's stand up and call those hogs!" And then everybody starts, "Woo pig sooie! 3x Razorbacks!" Then the band starts playing the fight song.

If we can get something like that going, that would be perfect.

• Downvote 1

Ok here's what Arkansas does: PA Announcer: "All right all you Razorback fans, let's stand up and call those hogs!" The Crowd: Woooooooooooo pig! Sooie! 3x Razorbacks!" And then the band starts playing the fight song.

It's got a beginning, an ending, and everyone does it. That's the kind of thing we need at North Texas. I still can't figure out why that's such a big problem for the band, the cheerleaders, the spirit committee, and everyone else who turned it down.

I can't wait for the season to start, these off-season threads are killing me. Maybe once we have some games to talk about we can quit talking about uniforms, logos, chants, etc.

I will hand out helmet stickers if we get it right by Homecoming, but only if we have black helmets with a green SOW on it for the Rice game.

You know guys... we already have a pretty good chant already available for 3rd down defensive stands. The band initiates it every time. The students usually get into it.

Problem is, NO ONE PARTICIPATES on the alumni side.

Sitting in 205, I hear the band start up: Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. <Crowd supposed to say> NORTH TEXAS! Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. NORTH TEXAS! Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. NORTH TEXAS! Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. NORTH TEXAS FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

I always see some young alumni coming over to 205 and when the band starts this up, they do the first "NORTH TEXAS!", usually solo. Then, they turn around and look at people like... "oh, we don't do that over here? I hope no one heard me because that's embarrassing." ...and give up.

Why can't we all do this one?

• Upvote 4

You know guys... we already have a pretty good chant already available for 3rd down defensive stands. The band initiates it every time. The students usually get into it.

Sitting in 205, I hear the band start up: Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. <Crowd supposed to say> NORTH TEXAS! Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. NORTH TEXAS! Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. NORTH TEXAS! Bop, bop bop bop, bop bop bop. NORTH TEXAS FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

I always see some young alumni coming over to 205 and when the band starts this up, they do the first "NORTH TEXAS!", usually solo. Then, they turn around and look at people like... "oh, we don't do that over here? I hope no one heard me because that's embarrassing." ...and give up.

Never even knew about that. Maybe they should invite the alumni to the freshman orientation session held at Apogee.

You know, I am not a fan of the Eagle Screech, but maybe that could be the cue for the North Texas chant. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Agreed. This one works sometimes during basketball games and it's pretty awesome. Been pretty effective in Hot springs at the Basketball Tournament over the years.

YEAH THAT WAS ME!!!!

Middle Tennessee game people were turning around and looking at me. I normally sit in the endzone just for personal preference. (watching plays develop) but i had a friend give me his tickets for that section so i sat there. When i would yell that chant all the shiny heads and gray beards just looked at me. DON'T WORRY I kept going anyways! GMG

A couple of reasons why.

1. The band plays all game long and folks watching the game start to ignore what is being played. Everyone knows third down is the time to get loud and produce sustained noise so that there is no break in between. A band-led chant is hard to do produce sustain noise, and third down is certainly not the time to try it. The one you mentioned has been in place for 4 or 5 years now, and as you can see there are folks among the most supportive groups...posters here at Gmg.com,.. who didnt even know about it.

I tried to explain that this would fail to officials and it in-one-ear-out-the-other'd on them.

2. The band isn't always available....ie.. when we are on the road. So a band prompt like that will never grow.

Right after we tied up Georgia and before the TV time out Sanford stadium was in utter shock and disbelief....AND SILENT. All you could hear were our players yelling and the 150 or so people in Green yelling as well. At that time or soon after would have been a perfect time to have a unified chant with a start and ending prompted by our cheerleaders.

Had we done that and pulled that game out later on that chant would become legendary and people who went on to Tulane and returned to Apogee for the Middle would have jumped at the chance to do it and teach it to their friends and family.

That's how it is done and grows and becomes tradition.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

A couple of reasons why.

1. The band plays all game long and folks watching the game start to ignore what is being played. Everyone knows third down is the time to get loud and produce sustained noise so that there is no break in between. A band-led chant is hard to do produce sustain noise, and third down is certainly not the time to try it. The one you mentioned has been in place for 4 or 5 years now, and as you can see there are folks among the most supportive groups...posters here at Gmg.com,.. who didnt even know about it.

I tried to explain that this would fail to officials and it in-one-ear-out-the-other'd on them.

2. The band isn't always available....ie.. when we are on the road. So a band prompt like that will never grow.

Right after we tied up Georgia and before the TV time out Sanford stadium was in utter shock and disbelief....AND SILENT. All you could hear were our players yelling and the 150 or so people in Green yelling as well. At that time or soon after would have been a perfect time to have a unified chant with a start and ending prompted by our cheerleaders.

Had we done that and pulled that game out later on that chant would become legendary and people who went on to Tulane and returned to Apogee for the Middle would have jumped at the chance to do it and teach it to their friends and family.

That's how it is done and grows and becomes tradition.

Rick

To address your points:

1. The students appear to hear the band just fine. They participate. I sit across the stadium and I also hear the band just fine. I'm pretty sure everyone else hears them too as they start it up WAY before the opponents line up on 3rd/4th down.

The entire point of the "FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT", part of that chant is to produce sustained noise. It's perfect. You don't have to keep saying "FIGHT", but it's a good way to get the noise going. What would be REALLY COOL, but is currently not working, is people actually yelling "NORTH TEXAS!" when they're supposed to during this chant. It's right there. It's already being done. It's not going anywhere. All it needs is PARTICIPATION!

2. I think citing road games is silly. I don't think traditions form on the road. I also don't think a group of ~150 fans (however coordinated) would produce enough noise at an away game to do anything substantial. Those reasons aside, we should have something that ~150 fans can do at an away game without the band, sure. But what?

EDIT: I take this back. I'm thinking of the SMU series... with the way they put minimal butts in seats, and the way I would expect the Mean Green faithful to show up down there, I think this would be valuable in turning Ford into Apogee South.

I understand what you're looking for and I agree, there is a need. They are two separate issues though. One is close to being successful. The other is a dream (for now).

1. There is a perfectly good chant under our noses and the alumni side ignores it. Is it because we (collective we) don't know about it? Probably. This can be changed. We're closer to this being a success than...

2. There is a need for a non-band-prompted chant that, so far, people want to designate/incorporate the "North...Texas" chant into. This is a non-existent chant (for now), but is the one you're looking for. This one can be done at the away games. Seems we're a long way away from this one being a reality though.

Why not focus on the one that is so close to working, so we can get crowd momentum (re: desire, or want-to) to develop the 2nd one you're looking for?

Edited by MeanGreenTexan