Free admission for STUDENTS

SSP

Mostly because most students DO NOT KNOW/remember this.

AND when most people visually see the word "free"- they think they would be missing out on the opportunity to take advantage. IT's a promotion.... but really all they're doing is making posters. AND it just might work.

I can assure you -- "Free student tickets" signs have been all over campus all week before each and every home game this season.

I know, I'm a student and I've seen them with my own eyes.

And, (granted, I asked about this when I was applying for admission so maybe I'm unlike my fellow students) I knew before I even enrolled that students get free tickets to ALL UNT sporting events.

And as a second side-note -- the students made a great showing at the Ball St. game. I still don't know why they keep getting the bad rap.

Edited by TheFranchise

I can assure you -- "Free student tickets" signs have been all over campus all week before each and every home game this season.

I know, I'm a student and I've seen them with my own eyes.

And, (granted, I asked about this when I was applying for admission so maybe I'm unlike my fellow students) I knew before I even enrolled that students get free tickets to ALL UNT sporting events.

And as a second side-note -- the students made a great showing at the Ball St. game. I still don't know why they keep getting the bad rap.

Maybe repetition is a welcomed force. Maybe if you have a lot of friends, you could get more of them to come and support their school whether we win or lose. Maybe if we are losing at the half, you could perhaps convince them to stay....cause we might still win?

I'm not saying.... I'm just saying....

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe repetition is a welcomed force. Maybe if you have a lot of friends, you could get more of them to come and support their school whether we win or lose. Maybe if we are losing at the half, you could perhaps convince them to stay....cause we might still win?

I feel like you're on the attack here. Perhaps we've gotten off on the wrong foot.

Look, I like you a lot. I'll just say I'm a big reason you've accumulated rep a lot more quickly than I have; because I've contributed mightily to yours. You do good work around here. You're a fellow optimist. I guess that's why I'm a little surprised you're taking aim at the students.

The students have been sticking around (at least we did against Ball St., save a handful that just wanted to go back and "crush some beers" on the hill). We've just been moving over to the shade once we see the seats in the shade are empty. Unless our alumnus are the "show up after halftime" type, which I don't believe most of them are) the stands on the press box side were VERY bare.

My point is -- a LOT of students showed up for the Ball St. game and a LOT of students stuck around through what was a rough 1/3 of the game to see a very rewarding final 2/3 of it. Our attendance problems are not all on the students.

Now I'll say this -- an uprising in school spirit can certainly START with the students. A healthy student section can do a lot to get everyone fired up. But the students can only do so much. It's not like they allocate a majority of the stadium to us. We get 16 of the 48 sections, (1/3 for you math majors out there).

But let's quit pointing fingers at everyone here and just start getting everyone we can to come out. How's that sound, m'kay?

• Upvote 5

Staying on the side of optimism...if you're a student trying to convince friends to come, be creative. I got some people who normally don't like sports to go to games by getting them to paint and/or dress up like crazy people. If you have friends into something, or that would be down just for dressing up as a joke, it's still helping attendance.

• Upvote 2

I feel like you're on the attack here. Perhaps we've gotten off on the wrong foot.

Look, I like you a lot. I'll just say I'm a big reason you've accumulated rep a lot more quickly than I have; because I've contributed mightily to yours. You do good work around here. You're a fellow optimist. I guess that's why I'm a little surprised you're taking aim at the students.

The students have been sticking around (at least we did against Ball St., save a handful that just wanted to go back and "crush some beers" on the hill). We've just been moving over to the shade once we see the seats in the shade are empty. Unless our alumnus are the "show up after halftime" type, which I don't believe most of them are) the stands on the press box side were VERY bare.

My point is -- a LOT of students showed up for the Ball St. game and a LOT of students stuck around through what was a rough 1/3 of the game to see a very rewarding final 2/3 of it. Our attendance problems are not all on the students.

Now I'll say this -- an uprising in school spirit can certainly START with the students. A healthy student section can do a lot to get everyone fired up. But the students can only do so much. It's not like they allocate a majority of the stadium to us. We get 16 of the 48 sections, (1/3 for you math majors out there).

But let's quit pointing fingers at everyone here and just start getting everyone we can to come out. How's that sound, m'kay?

Op! Yeah... Sorry...I wrote this after a few pre game toddies and think maybe I let this come off a little stronger and choicier than I had intended. That sounds good, man. My bad.

Finger retracted.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

I'm almost positive, they wouldn't start turning students away if those allocated student sections were full.

We need more fans of any kind. It'd be really nice to just have a walk up crowd that has no affiliation whatsoever.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

Any student that don't know bout free admission by now ain't finding out bout it here.

#truth

Correct you are! But, let me add...any student who does not already know about free admission to athletic events has not been paying attention AT ALL, and is most likely the variety of student who will go through four years ... or more...of college and never attend an athletic event.

It's hard for some of us to "get that", but some folks just are not interested. I know, I know....but #truth

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually didnt know about it, my freshman little brother didn't know about it and neither did my alumni brother who has literally been paying for his ticket for 4 years. He didn't start his freshman year @UNT, though.

We just walked out of Victory and asked 4 girls and 2 guys that were standing outside if it was true that students can get free tickets w/ their student ID in the library during the week..... none of them knew except for one GIRL who said she happened to be in the library and she also saw a poster on campus and that's how she gets her ticket. THE others laughed and said they tailgate but never go to the game.

So I guess we aren't the only ones that are completely ignorant. Way to go, posters. Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually didn't know about it, my freshman little brother didn't know about it and neither did my alumni brother who has literally been paying for his ticket for 4 years. He didn't start his freshman year @UNT, though.

We just walked out of Victory and asked 4 girls and 2 guys that were standing outside if it was true that students can get free tickets w/ their student ID in the library during the week..... none of them knew except for one GIRL who said she happened to be in the library and she also saw a poster on campus and that's how she gets her ticket. THE others laughed and said they tailgate but never go to the game.

So I guess we aren't the only ones that are completely ignorant. Way to go, posters. Thanks.

Not ignorant...just not paying attention. Lots of other stuff to pay attention to as an incoming freshman or transfer...so, a bit understandable. Good thing that one other girl was paying attention, huh? You say there was a sign on campus as well...one? Or one that you know of on campus? I believe it is also mentioned in all that fine print fees info provided everyone, and believe it is mentioned at Freshman orientation, etc., etc. But, I know I didn't even go to freshman orientation, did not see an academic adviser ever in my four years as an undergrad (and graduated on time without issue). I found out about it at registration from all the crap they passed out at the various tables sitting around registration. Yep, we had to physically go "TO" registration in person. Ain't the computer great these days? Kids are so pampered now-a-days! ha!

Oh, and mentioned at the big orientation for freshman at Apogee as well...but, that is a new thing, so yippeee...they are finally, finally including athletics in the whole orientation process...might help. No reason the current batch of students should be in any way confused about this or ignorant of the fact unless they are totally oblivious to the world around them. Seriously...kids are so pampered these days! ha! Take some initiative PEOPLE!

Just having a tad of nostalgic fun here...but, really...today's students have no excuse...none for not knowing about the availability of free tickets to sporting events at UNT.

Not ignorant...just not paying attention. Lots of other stuff to pay attention to as an incoming freshman or transfer...so, a bit understandable. Good thing that one other girl was paying attention, huh? You say there was a sign on campus as well...one? Or one that you know of on campus? I believe it is also mentioned in all that fine print fees info provided everyone, and believe it is mentioned at Freshman orientation, etc., etc. But, I know I didn't even go to freshman orientation, did not see an academic adviser ever in my four years as an undergrad (and graduated on time without issue). I found out about it at registration from all the crap they passed out at the various tables sitting around registration. Yep, we had to physically go "TO" registration in person. Ain't the computer great these days? Kids are so pampered now-a-days! ha!

Oh, and mentioned at the big orientation for freshman at Apogee as well...but, that is a new thing, so yippeee...they are finally, finally including athletics in the whole orientation process...might help. No reason the current batch of students should be in any way confused about this or ignorant of the fact unless they are totally oblivious to the world around them. Seriously...kids are so pampered these days! ha! Take some initiative PEOPLE!

Just having a tad of nostalgic fun here...but, really...today's students have no excuse...none for not knowing about the availability of free tickets to sporting events at UNT.

no I didn't see any posters at all, but I was just a victory today picking up a parking pass. Little Miss "Ohio StateShirt" who was outside said that she saw a poster and The Franchise says he did too... There are a variety of signs around campuses, so I can see why it would be overlooked. Especially for students who never live on campus and start after freshman year. I found this poster posted on Facebook.

Obviously if you were going to subscribe to a forum to talk about athletics, you would know if there's free tickets.

Unless of course, you are me. SO- for us oblivions that need the crayons taken out for us.... Even though there's posters we still might not know. Tell a buddy. We may not be as smart as you. ;)

Does this include a certain 'Former Student', who's at the Cotton Bowl right now? Would be nice if Craig dropped-in on Hank and Jub-Jub later on today. I will be listening, since I don't trust the Streaming. Can't believe it's been a Quarter Century since I helped Craig at KRLD with the High School Games... Damn, I'm not old. I'm ANCIENT! lol

no I didn't see any posters at all, but I was just a victory today picking up a parking pass. Little Miss "Ohio StateShirt" who was outside said that she saw a poster and The Franchise says he did too... There are a variety of signs around campuses, so I can see why it would be overlooked. Especially for students who never live on campus and start after freshman year. I found this poster posted on Facebook.

Obviously if you were going to subscribe to a forum to talk about athletics, you would know if there's free tickets.

Unless of course, you are me. SO- for us oblivions that need the crayons taken out for us.... Even though there's posters we still might not know. Tell a buddy. We may not be as smart as you. ;)

Unless of course, you are me. SO- for us oblivions that need the crayons taken out for us.... Even though there's posters we still might not know. Tell a buddy. We may not be as smart as you. did ;)

did you tell her that she needs to trade that Ohio State for a NT shirt?

• Upvote 1

did you tell her that she needs to trade that Ohio State for a NT shirt?

Ha! What's funny was the fact that she was the one who always goes to the games. I did say, "You aren't going to wear THAT all day, are you?" She laughed and said she would change before the game. :slapping: