Breaking news: Kelvin Gaines out four to six weeks

Harry

I just finished sending in my story for tomorrow’s paper on UNT’s basketball tip-off event.

We’ll get to that in a minute, but here is the news of the day — Cincinnati transfer forward Kelvin Gaines is out four to six weeks with a stress fracture in his foot. I mentioned in the running blog that he was not playing tonight.

Tony Benford said after the event that UNT considered its options and decided that it would be best for Gaines to have the injury operated on now rather than put it off and end up losing him late in the season. He should be back in late November or early December.

UNT will have to get by without a player who is expected to be a big presence under the basket until then.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/10/breaking-news-and-tip-off-event-wrap-gaines-out-four-to-six-weeks.html/

I guess we have to wait a while before we find out which good player is scapegoated...

It's gotta be Brandon Walton, right?

I mean, anything less than an elite 8 appearance with this #1 draft pick healthy and playing has GOT to be the player's fault.

Just ask RV, he will tell you.

#cancerinlockerroomrumorsforthcoming

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 to 6 weeks would still put him back before we play Portland. Of. Course if he is right on schedule for four weeks he could potentially play against Oklahoma. Hopefully he heals fast. At this point it does not seem to serious as he can return and only miss a few games at most.

• Upvote 2

4 to 6 weeks would still put him back before we play Portland. Of. Course if he is right on schedule for four weeks he could potentially play against Oklahoma. Hopefully he heals fast. At this point it does not seem to serious as he can return and only miss a few games at most.

CJ is the first player I can readily recall to return on time from an injury around here. Not sure why this seems to happen.
  • Upvote 1

It's gotta be Brandon Walton, right?

I mean, anything less than an elite 8 appearance with this #1 draft pick healthy and playing has GOT to be the player's fault.

Just ask RV, he will tell you.

#cancerinlockerroomrumorsforthcoming

If I had to pick one I would go for Alzee or TJ. One has a history of bouncing in and out of programs and the other was in Benford's doghouse often last season.
  • Upvote 1

Stress fractures of the feet are not good for basketball careers, especially bigs who put a lot of stress on said feet.

See: Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming just off the top of my head.

Exactly, unfortunately. And as Army of Dad said, we have enough problems getting guys to return from their injuries on time anyways. Big opportunity for Coleman to step up, especially if he really is a big east caliber big man.
  • Upvote 1

Stress fractures of the feet are not good for basketball careers, especially bigs who put a lot of stress on said feet.

See: Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming just off the top of my head.

To be honest I rather have a big with a foot problem then a knee problem. Yes posts need good foot work, but I think a foot is worse for a guard who has to cut in and out all the time. I think Gaines will miss no more then 3 or 4 games. The injury is brutal but sounds manageable with the actions taken early. Of course he is at the one position we cannot handle an injury at! If we lose a guard at least are loaded. This means early on we will see a solid dose of Colman. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.... Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

To be honest I rather have a big with a foot problem then a knee problem. Yes posts need good foot work, but I think a foot is worse for a guard who has to cut in and out all the time. I think Gaines will miss no more then 3 or 4 games. The injury is brutal but sounds manageable with the actions taken early. Of course he is at the one position we cannot handle an injury at! If we lose a guard at least are loaded. This means early on we will see a solid dose of Colman. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing....

:no:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The one that's out for about six weeks with a stress fracture in his foot...come on kid, pay attention! :-)

The first intelligent thing Mark has said on the Basketball forum and it was rehashed information. Good job Mark!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2