Now for the positive stuff from New Orleans

Harry

- The team played with heart. After a terrible start - they fought back to tie the game up. The Tulane fans wet their pants. I was really proud of how the did that even though the loss still hurt.

- Our fans represented very well coming from as far away as we did. I saw a lot of the right colored green on the plane, Bourbon Street and the various establishments we visited.

- I thought the Bourbon Heat connection performed by Rob McKinney and the Alumni Association was one of the best organized and thought out events we have had. I didn't get to make the Friday event but from all accounts it was well attended and our fans had a great time. I was there for the pregame and it's a great place, the owner is very cordial and the beer was cold. Loved the green lighting made you feel at home.

- I was able to kick it with some of our good fans. I spent a lot of time with Mo Green and AAUNT who are a lot of fun. I also got to hang out with my boy Adman and Ashton. Adman took us to some really cool places off the beaten path, in particular a neat place called Frenchman stree/district. We checked out several of the bars all of which had outstanding music and a cool vibe. Next time you are there make sure to scope this place out.

- Got to share a good luck shot with Green59 and his crew. Really enjoyed that!

- We formed a posse at the Frenchman with some other good fans like Keith Fever, Patrick and another nice guy whose name I forget. There's something really cool about running into other North Texas fans in a distant location. Lamenting the game with other fans you haven't seen in awhile helps the recovery process.

- Got to walk to the game and have dinner after with the great SSP and her husband. Very good Mean Green fans and a lot of fun. Really glad to have them in the fold and need to get them over as a fixture in Tony's tailgate. SSP is a welcome addition to this site and the program for sure.

- Tried to go to Acme but the line was too long so we tried Felix's across the street... Let me tell you Felix's is pretty damn good. Definitely can hold their own with Acme!

- Got to visit with UNT90, Emmitt, Rudy, Marshall and many others before and after the game. Actually rode on the plane there with Cerebus and his lovely wife who gave me a free drink ticket. Wow man we talked so much UNT football that the trip seemed like it lasted 15 minutes.

- Was able to try Mothers which was recommended by a board member. WOW -- The Ferdie sandwich is quite outstanding and they also have some turnip greens to die for. My new favorite place in New Orleans!!

- Actually pulled a few slots and won a little money for once.

- Found a very cool bar on Bourbon called the Old Absinthe Lounge or something like that. Actually tried absinthe -- tastes kind of like licorice.

- Walked a lot. Ruined the results of that from all the food and drink I had but my legs were actually a little tight on the plane ride back tonight. YOU DO NOT NEED A CAR IN NEW ORLEANS!! Half the fun is walking around looking at everything.

- Bourbon is still Bourbon -- packed as hell on Friday and Saturday night -- crazy people all over the place. It's still a lot of fun and it was cool seeing a fair amount of Mean Greeners in our old stomping grounds.

- Had some drinks at Lafitte's the oldest bar in New Orleans. Tried to do the Confederate Museum with Mo Green but it was under construction. Will try that next time.

For the names I have forgotten I apologize in advance... a great time. With all the flight delays I was there basically 1 day and so things are still a blur...

No it wasn't a New Orleans Bowl scene but a great trip down memory lane in a great, great town. Folks -- we have some damn good fans. If we could feed them just a little sustained success it would do wonders. Thanks to everyone who made the trip and I hope you had as good a time as I did.

GMG!

- Walked a lot. Ruined the results of that from all the food and drink I had but my legs were actually a little tight on the plane ride back tonight. YOU DO NOT NEED A CAR IN NEW ORLEANS!! Half the fun is walking around looking at everything.

Copy that. Kind of tough walking on a sore left knee and a bad right foot from a flag football game midweek. That walking killed me. I was moving at the speed of Christmas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

- Got to walk to the game and have dinner after with the great SSP and her husband. Very good Mean Green fans and a lot of fun. Really glad to have them in the fold and need to get them over as a fixture in Tony's tailgate. SSP is a welcome addition to this site and the program for sure.

Thanks, Harry! It was cool to get to hang out with you guys!

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

Frank and I enjoyed catching up with Harry, Patrick, Keith, the Roeling clan and of course Brad, Vicky and Rob. There is just something about a road game that allows you to connect with people you just miss at Apogee because there is so much going on. We also got to sit together and I like how our group size has grown! Those NMSU, LALA and Arkie State road games had some fans but there was a new crew of students that made there way down to New Orleans and it was nice to see a good contingent of Mean Green in the dome. Despite the kick to the gut loss it was a blast and we are already excited to roadie to Hattiesburg which is actually closer than New Orleans per MapQuest. Mean Green and Cowboys lose as time expires in consecutive days. I am glad I am only partially invested in the silver and blue these days. That weekend would have really stung.

Great memories and many more still to come with a lot of football still to play.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Went to the stadium club at their dome. On the web site since they thought there would be problems w/ the weather you only needed to shhow a ticket to get into the stadium club. Good crowd. Friendly. Its a semi-circle like center w/ nothing as nice as we have in our club. They couldn't of followed the game there like in our club. Good band though. About 1/3 bigger than our stadium club. No food in the club-you had to go out into the stadium to find food.

BY THE WAY- it was homecoming & parents day etc. They threw a lot of events this last weekend to boost the crowd he said. I was told by Jim Shaver (ie. ath dept rep- who walked up to me & asked how'd I get in there & where are the rest of you guys) that game should be their biggest turnout.

He asked me to go to their web site to compare stadiums for him [ yulmanstadium.com ]. What do you think about their stadium.

They served alcohol in the stadium. He told me it was a great idea especially since their teams were not very good in the last several years. Sounded familar doesn't it. No one, rv, has jumped off the top of the dome yet & they made money with it. Since we don't need money, I guess, is the only reason not to try it.

http://yulmanstadium.com/stadium-amenities/yulman-stadium-amenities/

Edited by Mo Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I called tulane's athletic dept to thank for their hospitality & ask them about selling booze in their new stadium. Not only are they for football, but they sell it at basketball & baseball games on every side of the stadium. I helps pay for security at the stadium. They have had no problems with selling alcohol at all their games because of their overall guidelines for everyone to follow.

My thought is that rv will never prove capable enough to put any effort to get ALL these guidelines produced, so you all will not see any alcohol for the general ticket sales area. For all the other fans of NT that are downstairs,come on up I'll buy you a beer!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I called tulane's athletic dept to thank for their hospitality & ask them about selling booze in their new stadium. Not only are they for football, but they sell it at basketball & baseball games on every side of the stadium. I helps pay for security at the stadium. They have had no problems with selling alcohol at all their games because of their overall guidelines for everyone to follow.

My thought is that rv will never prove capable enough to put any effort to get ALL these guidelines produced, so you all will not see any alcohol for the general ticket sales area. For all the other fans of NT that are downstairs,come on up I'll buy you a beer!

Again, RV is not the one to blame about not having alcohol sales at Apogee, it is up to the TABC. Besides, if it does happen, TABC is not going to let it be sold at every concession booth like at the Superdome, American Airlines Center, and other venues. Fact, not fiction.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

That was a really strange, circuitous route via New Orleans to get a jab in at RV. Whatever personal bent you've got with the man, and a lot of people seem to have a lot of bents, he is the LAST reason why there isn't beer sold at athletic events. Hell, if it were up to him, we'd probably be able to buy seat licenses in pairs -- one for our butt and the other for our personal in-game keg. The problem lies in lingering puritanical culture and residual laws that came from it.

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna head over to Oak Street and swipe my license into their database...again, so that the big brothers of Denton County can know that I've been drinking.

• Upvote 2

Again, RV is not the one to blame about not having alcohol sales at Apogee, it is up to the TABC. Besides, if it does happen, TABC is not going to let it be sold at every concession booth like at the Superdome, American Airlines Center, and other venues. Fact, not fiction.

Something else that is not RV's responsibility.

Easiest job in America. Easily.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Easily the best city in America to lose a football game.

And the best city in America to win a football game.

I did my usual anti-social gig, hanging with my kids. I am not such a good fan to sit by...so ADHD-overwhelmed by it all, that I find it difficult to converse, but I did enjoy hanging with my "little brother" Peacock. And it was nice to hug Brelan's mom after the tying touchdown.

Pre-game at Joey Z's on Magazine, post-game at Pierre Maspero's on Chartres and Cafe Du Monde. Then went and looked at the Halloween lights off St. Charles.

As many losses as I have seen, I will never get used to it, but it is an absolute joy to be with my family on these road trips.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

C'mon, man. You know this one's not on him. I know you feel about him about the same way I felt about Dodge, so I get it, but this one ain't him.

Right, because nothing is on him. Got an excuse for everything.

Tired of excuses, just get the F'n job done or make room for someone who can.

So many excuses and excuse makers for RV it isn't even funny. I promise you that if Mac fails this year, the rumor will be floated that Mac was Rawlins choice, much like Stephens was Baitee's choice, and Batiee wouldn't let him fire Dodge.

Etc, etc, etc. the man has excuses for everything.

Just listen to him on the podcast, basically blaming players for Benford's failure last year. The same players who had no problems under JJ.

Excuse after excuse after excuse coupled with loss after loss after loss.

And what are the consequences? A brand new 10 year contract that gets him to retirement.

Because we simply don't care about winning.

And I know you love baseball, but be prepared for us to suck at that for a long time as well. It's what we do.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Right, because nothing is on him. Got an excuse for everything.

Tired of excuses, just get the F'n job done or make room for someone who can.

So many excuses and excuse makers for RV it isn't even funny. I promise you that if Mac fails this year, the rumor will be floated that Mac was Rawlins choice, much like Stephens was Baitee's choice, and Batiee wouldn't let him fire Dodge.

Etc, etc, etc. the man has excuses for everything.

Just listen to him on the podcast, basically blaming players for Benford's failure last year. The same players who had no problems under JJ.

Excuse after excuse after excuse coupled with loss after loss after loss.

And what are the consequences? A brand new 10 year contract that gets him to retirement.

Because we simply don't care about winning.

And I know you love baseball, but be prepared for us to suck at that for a long time as well. It's what we do.

I'll bet that if getting alcohol into Apogee and the Super Pit were solely up to RV, we'd have it already. Sadly there are multiple layers of government involved and that always slows things down.

• Upvote 1

I'll bet that if getting alcohol into Apogee and the Super Pit were solely up to RV, we'd have it already. Sadly there are multiple layers of government involved and that always slows things down.

Funny how other school manage to navigate those sane hurdles just fine, isn't it?

Funny how other school manage to navigate those sane hurdles just fine, isn't it?

What other schools in Texas are you referring to because comparing North Texas to schools in other states in not an apples to apples comparison.

• Upvote 3