Offensive play calling

UNT90

In defense of DT the pick six was a tipped ball. Also I kept thinking how in the heck is this team getting so many turnovers and making big plays because they are not 4-2 good. They did it against La Tech and LAMO I believe and they made big plays against us despite being an otherwise poor team. Trust me I was disgusted watching this in person but it is hard to fault all of the pick 6 on DT. They were hungry and waiting for something like that to happen. DT did make some awesome throws too. Our D let us down when they couldn't get a pick force a fumble or make a stop on the last drive.

For a change the D really lost this game for us. I hope they come out fighting next week.

GMG

In defense of DT the pick six was a tipped ball. Also I kept thinking how in the heck is this team getting so many turnovers and making big plays because they are not 4-2 good. They did it against La Tech and LAMO I believe and they made big plays against us despite being an otherwise poor team. Trust me I was disgusted watching this in person but it is hard to fault all of the pick 6 on DT. They were hungry and waiting for something like that to happen. DT did make some awesome throws too. Our D let us down when they couldn't get a pick force a fumble or make a stop on the last drive.

For a change the D really lost this game for us. I hope they come out fighting next week.

GMG

Really?

We let up 14 points when we had the ball. The blocked fg alone was a potential 10 point swing. We were kind of close to letting up 21 points on the other int. And that doesn't include the 2 fumbles that were recovered, 1 for a touchdown by ybarbo. Are we that careless with the ball? I don't think our defense lost it even though they had some penalties at bad times. Give their defense some credit. We never had a lead, we played from behind the entire time. At no time was there a lead to protect on defense, they were trying to make stops and get the ball back to the offense, so that maybe instead of turning it over, they could go score. We absolutely have to take better care of the ball when we have it. Mac ball won't work any other way.

If you can blame our defense for those things, you should credit theirs for doing that to our offense.

• Upvote 1

Do some of you realize that every loss is not do to QB failure? Thompson had some poor throws and some very good ones, but if anything he was the biggest factor in making the game close.

McCarney's game plan was obviously based on his belief that NT could run on Tulane, a bad assumption.

Too many mistakes, lost this game. Plus a defense that could not hold on the final drive, after completely dominating the game in the second half.

Another factor is nobody is giving credit to a rapidly improving Tulane team. Watch for their game against ECU next week, you might be surprised.

I blame the poor blocking on the field goal. The piss poor play calling. The lack of a run game.

I can't even blame play calling. You clean up the penalties and the stupid little mistakes that were forced or unforced, and we win. Not by a little either. The run game has been non existent the entire season and that won't change anytime soon in the middle of a season. There's just something wrong there.

It's the lack of focus and attention to detail and execution on the road across the board that we've seen for many seasons now still plaguing this team. It's as much coaching as anything else.

This game turned on one play...a FG attempt blocked and run back for a TD by Tulane...that was a 10 point swing...UNT lost by three. I do not understand folks discussing the poor game plan, the poor play calling, etc. ONE PLAY...everthing UNT was able to overcome.

If you have to play the blame game, one should at least place blame where it might be deserved...on one...ONE special teams breakdown that resulted in a 10 point swing.

It is 100% understamndable that folks are more than a little disappointed in this loss. Pretty much a gut punch for me (like the Troy loss last year), but both offense and defense did enough to win this game, plays called were enough to win this game, QB did enough to win this game, penalties were terrible, but overcome....what WAS NOT OVERCOME was one play...a breakdown on special teams. That doesn't happen and all this "stuff" about Mac, DT, the play calling, the lack of a last stand by the defense, the penalties, etc. are all not even being discussed this morning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This game turned on one play...a FG attempt blocked and run back for a TD by Tulane...that was a 10 point swing...UNT lost by three. I do not understand folks discussing the poor game plan, the poor play calling, etc. ONE PLAY...everthing UNT was able to overcome.

If you have to play the blame game, one should at least place blame where it might be deserved...on one...ONE special teams breakdown that resulted in a 10 point swing.

It is 100% understamndable that folks are more than a little disappointed in this loss. Pretty much a gut punch for me (like the Troy loss last year), but both offense and defense did enough to win this game, plays called were enough to win this game, QB did enough to win this game, penalties were terrible, but overcome....what WAS NOT OVERCOME was one play...a breakdown on special teams. That doesn't happen and all this "stuff" about Mac, DT, the play calling, the lack of a last stand by the defense, the penalties, etc. are all not even being discussed this morning.

Of course not, because there always has to be a scapegoat. It can't be because of a breakdown in execution. Someone is simply an imbecile. We will find him, by God...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wrong. We would definitely be discussing the terrible 1st half and how if we had done that against a better team, we would have lost.

It's a problem, it's been a problem, and it will continue to be a problem. Shove your head in the sand if you want, but this is the same game plan you will see against La. Tech and USM, because this is how we approach road games.

Take one special teams play away? Ok, then take 2 special teams plays away last week and we lose 45-7. That isn't the way football works.

The big picture is another chance to impress alums is gone. Just like that. In the blink of an eye. All the eyebrows that were raised by the Georgia game are now mutter to themselves "same ole North Texas" and going about their life, which doesn't include supporting UNT athletics or coming to UNT games.

Just like Troy last year.

Just like Ohio in 2009.

Never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Edited by UNT90

Whats frustrating is that you can see the improvement of the team itself, but you don't see that from the coaching staff.

And to anyone talking about the defense and how they didn't play well. You can look at penalties and this and that. Bottom line, they gave up 10 pts on the road. That should be enough to win.

Could've saved all of what you said aside from the bold part. Edited by emmitt01

Some truth there, but we should had played (called) that game more aggressively since I truly believe we were the better team.