DeSoto coach on UNT Commit Desmon White, thoughts

Harry

I talked to DeSoto coach (and unofficial manager of the DeSoto pipeline to UNT) Claude Mathis this morning to get his take on Desmon White.

White, a 5-8, 160 pound senior, committed to UNT last night, as you heard here first on the blog.

UNT will use White as a slot receiver/kick returner. UNT essentially sold White on the idea of playing a role similar to the one Brelan Chancellor has had with the Mean Green for several years now.

Chancellor is great with the ball in space. So is White.

“He will fit in anywhere because he can play anywhere,” Mathis said. “He will be able to make the transition to playing in the slot in college. He is very quick and fast and also brings a lot of intangibles to the table. He has handled all the situations he has faced here playing against some of the best teams in the state.”

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/10/desoto-coach-on-white-thoughts-is-this-a-departure-from-mac-philosophy.html/

I would be happy with a Deonce Whitaker 2.0 in the slot.

Hayden Fry once recruited a kid (Mark Snyder) with less height and weight than Mr. Whitaker and called him a "goat ropin' son of a gun" or was it one of those..... "I'd recruit him in a New York minute" quotes, SUMG? Help me man because I know that you'd know for sure!

Welcome To Mean Green Country, Deonce! :thumbsu:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Hayden Fry once recruited a kid (Mark Snyder) with less height and weight than Mr. Whitaker and called him a "goat ropin' son of a gun" or was it one of those..... "I'd recruit him in a New York minute" quotes, SUM? Help me man because I know that you'd know for sure!

Welcome To Mean Green Country, Deonce! :thumbsu:

GMG!

I vaguely remember Snyder, wasn't he listed as 5'6" and believe it or not from Highland Park?

• Upvote 1

I vaguely remember Snyder, wasn't he listed as 5'6" and believe it or not from Highland Park?

Yes and yes...

Highland Park HS Band won our 1'st Annual and Last Annual Bands Over Texas Band Day on a Game Day back in the 80's but I'll leave it at that; that is, Band Day. :) (Not sure if I've mentioned it but Band Days really do make a great significant butts in seats promotion. Actually, I think I have mentioned once or twice or thrice....(I'm 62 now and tend to repeat my self, repeat myself, repeat myself.... :( SUMG thinks that with my increasing age that my telephone voice has even gone up an octave or 2 and I sound like Glen Campbell back in the day. Now "THAT" is a bad sign. (And God bless ol' Glen, he's fighting althzeimers).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen