D-League seems in future for Detroit Pistons rookie Tony Mitchell

Harry

With the roster appearing to be set, Vince Ellis looks at individual Pistons players and assesses expectations for the coming season.

Todays player

Power forward Tony Mitchell

Power forward Tony Mitchell

How obtained: Second-round pick in the June draft the 37th overall selection.

Looking back: Considered a potential lottery pick before an uneven sophomore season caused his stock to drop at North Texas. Even casual observers can notice his effort in getting back to help on defense wasnt up to standards, but the Pistons are intrigued by his athleticism and size.

His salary: $500,000 (Year 1 of three-year deal).

Looking ahead: A lot isnt expected this season, so there probably will be a D-League stint.

Read more: http://www.freep.com/article/20131001/SPORTS03/310010025/detroit-pistons-tony-mitchell

Great opportunity for him. Pistons have a huge need and it is all there in front of him for the taking. Will be interesting to see if he can turn up the intensity game in game out at both ends. Hate to see those kind of comments from a writer. Hoping for the best.

It's something we all knew while he was here. He needs to stay in overdrive all game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No comments...? From either side..... Really...

Are there sides? I only see a certain few trying to claim folks blame only the players as if to justify their hate for Benford some how. I truly do not think there are "sides". There are a couple of folks who, for whatever reason, want to pit folks against each other. Serves no purpose, but it was the disaster of last season fueled by a number of causes that has allowed this to fester so long after the season ended.

It is over...why a small minority want to keep rehashing the past is beyond me, and does seem counter productive.

So, sides? Nope....a vocal, but loud minority perhaps. What folks don't seem to understand is that those of us who post here are the minority of fans...the passionate minority, but the minority. It's perhaps a bit arrogant to assume anyone here speaks for more than his/her own self.

I think every soul here wishes Tony nothing but success going forward. Why not? He was and remains a member of the Mean Green family. So, let's all wish Tony nothing but success in the NBA, and let's all wish the Mean Green's Tony B success in getting the program righted in a wins and losses standpoint. Why wish anything else?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, sides? Nope....a vocal, but loud minority perhaps.

I don't consider the largest % dropoff in attendance in 10 years a vocal "minority". I'm not going to pick sides here (JJ had a dropoff too, though not as much), just know that we both saw a disaster last year and hope Benford turns it around.

Is a fanbase waving pompoms with their heads in sand productive? If I'm AD, I appreciate loyal but honest attendees.

[table]Year Avg. Att. % increase

2012-13 3,518 -12%

2011-12 4,006 13%

2010-11 3,552 31%

2009-10 2,716 -10%

2008-09 3,004 -5%

2007-08 3,178 54%

2006-07 2,067 -4%

2005-06 2,146 -6%

2004-05 2,284 12%

2003-04 2,031 -6%

2002-03 2,159 19%

[/table]

I don't consider the largest % dropoff in attendance in 10 years a vocal "minority". I'm not going to pick sides here (JJ had a dropoff too, though not as much), just know that we both saw a disaster last year and hope Benford turns it around.

Is a fanbase waving pompoms with their heads in sand productive? If I'm AD, I appreciate loyal but honest attendees.

[table]Year Avg. Att. % increase

2012-13 3,518 -12%

2011-12 4,006 13%

2010-11 3,552 31%

2009-10 2,716 -10%

2008-09 3,004 -5%

2007-08 3,178 54%

2006-07 2,067 -4%

2005-06 2,146 -6%

2004-05 2,284 12%

2003-04 2,031 -6%

2002-03 2,159 19%

[/table]

Average attendance this year will be interesting to see. If we have another meh or worse year the slide will likely continue.

We will be lucky to average 2k once the losses start stacking up.

Plus, 5 o'clock start times and D2 competition certainly won't bring out your base.

If only we knew the dirty secret, like RV told is on the pod cast, we would know that Tony Benford was a great coach.

Wonder what the next dirty secret will be in April?

• Upvote 1