Sports Network Preview & Prediction North Texas vs Tulane

MeanGreen61

Montana's inconsistencies are likely going to come back to haunt Tulane more often than not. If he can't straighten things out, even a big game from Darkwa won't be enough to overcome a pass-heavy team like North Texas that has proven it can hang with some tough competition.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: North Texas 31, Tulane 27

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/scores/live/preview.aspx?id=39209

So funny to see us called a "pass heavy team."

The author obviously is not familiar with our program.

I think the key to this game is getting pressure on baby Montana. Hit him hard and often and you take away their passing game. Make them one dimensional and you win the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The author obviously is not familiar with our program.

I think the key to this game is getting pressure on baby Montana. Hit him hard and often and you take away their passing game. Make them one dimensional and you win the game.

tulane was one dimensional against monroe and beat them handily...montana threw for 70 yards or so...

tulane was one dimensional against monroe and beat them handily...montana threw for 70 yards or so...

5 turnovers.

I think we can stop their running game if we can take away their passing game. Obviously, if they run at will against us, we are doomed, no matter what happens through the air.

• Upvote 1

5 turnovers.

I think we can stop their running game if we can take away their passing game. Obviously, if they run at will against us, we are doomed, no matter what happens through the air.

3 were in the fourth quarter with the game well out of hand...but you're right about the running game...hopefully the boys can stop them and keep tulane's offense at bay for the game...

Amazing that we've never played them before. Someone correct me, but I think Tulane and GA. Tech are the last top level long-time football playing Southern/Southwestern schools (other than the Carolina's and Virginia) that we have never played before in our "hundred year" history. I guess California and Utah are loosely considered "Southwestern," but I'm not including them in the equation.

Because...they're lazy. Most are; ie. still calling us 'North Texas State'. Noticed the Pelican on the Tulane Logo for the first time ever. Wonder if Nawlins' NBA Team has anything to say about that?

That Pelican has been Tulane's mascot/symbol for as long as I can remember. Older brother of mine graduated from Tulane in the mid-50's and that Pelican was part of Tulane back then. And, the school newspaper(I think) was and still is called the "Hullabaloo". Shades of aggieland!

• Upvote 2

We're the #35 passing offense in the nation, at 277.8 YPG.

We're the #94 rushing offfense in the nation, at 132.3 YPG.

We throw almost exactly 50% of the time. While that is nowhere near a teams like tulsa/utsa who throw about 56% of the time, it is way ahead of teams like Rice/UTEP who throw about 41% of the time.

• Upvote 1

We're the #35 passing offense in the nation, at 277.8 YPG.

We're the #94 rushing offfense in the nation, at 132.3 YPG.

We throw almost exactly 50% of the time. While that is nowhere near a teams like tulsa/utsa who throw about 56% of the time, it is way ahead of teams like Rice/UTEP who throw about 41% of the time.

Oh, I know we have done better through the air, but the last thing Coach Mac wants this team to be is "pass heavy." He wants to run the ball effectively and wear down the opponent (which is always a good football plan).

I think our passing stats have more to do with the defense that has been played against us than our team philosophy.

• Upvote 1

That Pelican has been Tulane's mascot/symbol for as long as I can remember. Older brother of mine graduated from Tulane in the mid-50's and that Pelican was part of Tulane back then. And, the school newspaper(I think) was and still is called the "Hullabaloo". Shades of aggieland!

I thought I remembered them having the Pelican as their Mascot...years/eons ago. I do remember my Grandfather telling me about New Orleans Pelican Minor League Baseball Games he'd go to, when he had to travel there in the '40's.

Amazing that we've never played them before. Someone correct me, but I think Tulane and GA. Tech are the last top level long-time football playing Southern/Southwestern schools (other than the Carolina's and Virginia) that we have never played before in our "hundred year" history. I guess California and Utah are loosely considered "Southwestern," but I'm not including them in the equation.

I was thinking along the same lines...especially with the relative proximity of the two schools. And now that we're in the same conference...they're out right away.

Coming off a bye the Mean Green need to start fast and get back to game play. matt is right North Texas will be ready to fight at tulanes homecoming. North Texas will be able to control the run game with the high level of play from the DT/LB. the thing to watch is the how they will contain Grant he is a very nice receiver. North Texas need to put pressure on the QB so he will not have time to get the ball deep.Wildcard will be special teams. Chancellor is a game changer for North Texas. The Mean Green will have a short field with him Receiving kicks and punts. GMG 35 -UNT 27- Tulane

• Upvote 1

Coming off a bye the Mean Green need to start fast and get back to game play. matt is right North Texas will be ready to fight at tulanes homecoming. North Texas will be able to control the run game with the high level of play from the DT/LB. the thing to watch is the how they will contain Grant he is a very nice receiver. North Texas need to put pressure on the QB so he will not have time to get the ball deep.Wildcard will be special teams. Chancellor is a game changer for North Texas. The Mean Green will have a short field with him Receiving kicks and punts. GMG 35 -UNT 27- Tulane

Nice post and welcome to GMG.com