FBS board gives formal proposal to split Division 1

Harry

So the message is:

A ) We're gonna throw CUSA 2.0 a little bone for being reactionary little pricks and sucking our balls so hard.

B ) We're gonna let the MAC/CUSA/MWC/SBC scrounge for table scraps at our feet to avoid any bothersome anti-trust litigation.

C ) But we're still gonna rule the college world with an iron fisted dictatorship like we have been for three decades, and nobody, not SMU, not BYU, and most certainly not some podunk shithole from Monroe, Louisiana, are ever going to have any real say in the matter. Now where's Chris Berman? We're bored and he needs to bend over and pay us so we can hire the best high school players money can buy. And while we're at it, could somebody from the Nevada Wolfpack see to it that our shrimp tray gets refilled? We're gonna be hungry soon.

• Upvote 5

All this proposal talk is hilarious. The NCAA's AQ confs would want you to think it'd be better for everyone else when it's really an even bigger f-you to the other conferences than the current system. In the current system, a non-AQ conference might be able to claw its way in. In this proposal, it seems pretty clear that anyone not in the AQ club is not only told to go home when they get to door, they're also getting a letter taped to their mailbox at home.

Edited by meangreendork

If the Appalachian State's and Georgia State's (among others) of the world weren't continually making the move up, this separation movement might not be happening. Because of the never ending move-ups, separation is inevitable. We better win big ASAP if we even want a snowball's chance to hang with the big boys.

• Upvote 1

So the message is:

A ) We're gonna throw CUSA 2.0 a little bone for being reactionary little pricks and sucking our balls so hard.

B ) We're gonna let the MAC/CUSA/MWC/SBC scrounge for table scraps at our feet to avoid any bothersome anti-trust litigation.

C ) But we're still gonna rule the college world with an iron fisted dictatorship like we have been for three decades, and nobody, not SMU, not BYU, and most certainly not some podunk shithole from Monroe, Louisiana, are ever going to have any real say in the matter. Now where's Chris Berman? We're bored and he needs to bend over and pay us so we can hire the best high school players money can buy. And while we're at it, could somebody from the Nevada Wolfpack see to it that our shrimp tray gets refilled? We're gonna be hungry soon.

QFT.

Edited by TIgreen01

I am really getting tired of what college football has become and its obvious crappy future. They are making it easier for me to watch the NFL only. If we go back to something like the D1AA days then our football program is done. The whole thing is pathetic.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Why would the non-AQs think this is a good setup? Its worse than what they have now. Again, if the AQs want to separate and create their own coaclition, let them go. Right now, with a huge stacked deck in the AQs favor, we have seen Boise State, Utah, TCU, Hawaii, and Northern Illinois bust up their monopoly over the last few years by getting spots in their precious BCS bowl games. And each time they have done it, especially last year with NIU making the Orange Bowl, their AQ media come all out to scream about how awful it is that a team from a non-power league could make one of these prestigious bowl games.

And to include the AAC over the MWC is just pure insanity--the MWC has had four of its champions make it to a BCS game (TCU and Utah twice) and the two others did it in the WAC, which is now the MWC (Boise State and Hawaii). Meanwhile, the AAC will get one only because of the old Big East's last AQ spot, which means Louisville will go again before leaving to the ACC. I'm sorry but UConn and Cincy making to BCS bowl games because their old league was at the big boys table at the time isn't more impressive than what the MWC did during the same timeframe. If anyone should get included with CUSA, SBC, and MAC in being left out, its the AAC.

If I were a non-AQ commissioner and got invited to stay as FBS, only at the reality of just being like Puerto Rico is the rest of the states in determining the President of the US on election night, than I am saying, fine, but there are no more one-and-dones anymore. You must agree to a 2-1 series, at the very least, if you are scheduling one of our teams. Also, at the end of the season, since we cannot get any of your precious bowl slots to make money for our conferences like you all get to, we are going to create our own playoff amongst our teams. So enjoy your bowl layoff--we will be playing in a true tournament to crown a champion in the way that most Americans like and want--a fair system that rewards winners of these conferences and those who qualify as particpants in that playoff because of their on-field success, not because they always sell a lot of t-shirts and have ESPN pimping them 24 hours a day. What a novel concept--a fair tournament in a playoff format? Ever sport, except AQ football, does this. Even when theirs starts next year, it will be anything but fair.

• Upvote 2

If the Appalachian State's and Georgia State's (among others) of the world weren't continually making the move up, this separation movement might not be happening. Because of the never ending move-ups, separation is inevitable. We better win big ASAP if we even want a snowball's chance to hang with the big boys.

Too late....we should have been doing all that "Big" winning the last 30 years rather going into "brain freeze" and a direction-less mode. Leadership's waffling of our football program thru all those years has us where we are today rather than where many our our former Missouri Valley conference-mates went--which was upward. Those former MVC mates included Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinatti, Tulsa,

Kind of like the old saying..."you reap what you sow?" Well, we sowed 12 of our last 30 plus years at the NCAA D1-AA level which was not the end of the world but it was one helluva' perception-kick in the butt for our alma mater and so many of our grads who became UNT alums back during all those decades. Might they be the largest part of that 200,000 plus DFW alumnus group who I'd wager many of whom may not even know we have a (still) a new'ish LEEDS Platinum certified college football palace stratetically located between those 2 Texas interstates? (Surely they'd notice it if they ever drove north of DFW).

I hate all this, but lets still see how it all plays out. I would also hope that the G5 execs, ie, commissioners have one sharp lawyer pleading our case

UNT would lose with all this but not as much as BYU, UH, SMU, East Carolina, Boise, Air Force and this list of similar schools at the G5 level could be longer.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Winning has nothing to do with it. This is about money. In UNT's past the university relegated athletics to be third rate at best. The ripple effects from the past are still biting UNT in the a$$. However, it probably wouldn't matter anyways. The perfect example is BYU. They traditionally have an outstanding program, have won a National Championship, and regularly beat the hell out BCS teams, yet they will get the shaft while a powerhouse like South Florida potentially doesn't. Absurd. If FBS football goes through with this BS then I am changing the channel. IMO the NFL is more entertaining anyway.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Winning has nothing to do with it. This is about money. In UNT's past the university relegated athletics to be third rate at best. The ripple effects from the past are still biting UNT in the a$$. However, it probably wouldn't matter anyways. The perfect example is BYU. They traditionally have an outstanding program, have won a National Championship, and regularly beat the hell out BCS teams, yet they will get the shaft while a powerhouse like South Florida potentially doesn't. Absurd. If FBS football goes through with this BS then I am changing the channel. IMO the NFL is more entertaining anyway.

if we start winning enough to become the next Boise and win a national championship, then I somehow think they would have a tough time keeping us out. No doubt they'll find room for Notre Dame and BYU regardless. And yes, the green margaritas are flowing like a river at my house tonight.

if we start winning enough to become the next Boise and win a national championship, then I somehow think they would have a tough time keeping us out. No doubt they'll find room for Notre Dame and BYU regardless. And yes, the green margaritas are flowing like a river at my house tonight.

Good stuff! I wish I had some margaritas too. The problem with the messed up system is we could win every game for several years in a row and never have a shot. Super annoying that college football is the way it is.

I guess the two ways we can look at this are:

1) Who do you think you are being so condescending in "allowing" us in while wanting weighted votes for the conferences you think are better, or

2) Well, thanks for at least including us.

Either way I still wonder if any thought has been given to just letting them have their own NFL minor league subdivision. Then let FBS and FCS round out division 1 in their own subdivisions. I don't see including the "midmajors" with all of FCS because the disparity would be as extreme in most cases (though not all) as it is with the power conferences against us and/or FCS already.

But I agree that including the Go5 in this is just a way to try to avoid antitrust suits. I almost read that in Grover's voice every time I saw the "FAR" abbreviation.

I promise you that there are two non-AQs that will be included in any move upward to a New Division 4--BYU and Boise State. I don't see any others getting included, except for the bigger named AAC teams that will get assumed by the eastern AQ conferences (UConn, Cincy, and USF).

I could see the Pac-12 eventually having to take the two western powers, even if they don't want to, just to keep the Division 4 model going the way they want it to. The ACC, B1G, SEC, and Big XII are really just moving parts here. I still see the Big XII dying soon, but we will see how it goes. I'll give Baylor credit for one thing--winning big in football and in basketball couldn't have come at a more perfect time for the Baptists. I used to think they would easily get left behind, but they might just be able to stay afloat at the top level with their winning ways. If I think BYU is going to get included in any Division 4 setup, then I have to believe Baylor will, too. I don't know about TCU, but I am coming around to the idea that Baylor might just make it after all, if they keep winning big.