UNT Professor kicks out student Student wearing A&M shirt

GreenBat

The grad level accounting classes were mostly Tech score watching parties. Half the faculty hailed from Lubbock. That and, oddly, Kentucky.

So, anywho, I do think it's cool and all, but since when was there a dress code for tuition paying students? I was known to wear the occasional undergrad logoed article of clothing at UNT, and I would've raised bloody hell if anyone had tried to throw me out for it. It would have ended very, very badly for all parties involved.

I reiterate, I think it's kinda funny, but I wouldn't blame the student at all for retaliating.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Professor, I applaud your school spirit. However, I suspect a low-life lawyer is salivating at the thought of bringing a first admendment suit against the instructor, her/hisdepartment chair, and our beloved university.

What the student was expressing was unfortunatte, but still they had a constitutional right to express themselves.

I'll save you all the problem and award myself a -1 for this post.

Im no lawyer but I believe the school has a specific area of campus dedicated to free speech - it used to be in front of the Union. Outside of that area and the school could shut you down.

The student wasn't sent home, just asked to turn the shirt inside out. hardly grounds for "retaliation".

great job by the Prof, that's how you grow school spirit, has to start with the school.

Original tweet says prof made the student leave to take the shirt off. That's what I based my post on. I apologize for nothing. This reminds me of the slut shaming pic somebody posted on here a few years ago of a guy bringing his young son to a game at Fouts, but wearing a USC shirt. We bitched and bitched and bitched about chitty attendance, but then totally shamed some random guy on a public forum for having the gall to show up in the wrong clothing.

Shit like this reduces my school spirit. Nobody should be forced to have school spirit based on what one is wearing -- especially not in the classroom.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Shit like this reduces my school spirit. Nobody should be forced to have school spirit based on what one is wearing -- especially not in the classroom.

+1

I always liked UNT because of diversity and the ability to be yourself. This professors is counter intuitive to the progressiveness that is UNT. Oh well.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 20

Original tweet says prof made the student leave to take the shirt off. That's what I based my post on. I apologize for nothing. This reminds me of the slut shaming pic somebody posted on here a few years ago of a guy bringing his young son to a game at Fouts, but wearing a USC shirt. We bitched and bitched and bitched about chitty attendance, but then totally shamed some random guy on a public forum for having the gall to show up in the wrong clothing.

Anybody know the emergency number for the Whambulance?

#gogreenorgohomeorgetouttaclass

• Upvote 2

The grad level accounting classes were mostly Tech score watching parties. Half the faculty hailed from Lubbock. That and, oddly, Kentucky.

So, anywho, I do think it's cool and all, but since when was there a dress code for tuition paying students? I was known to wear the occasional undergrad logoed article of clothing at UNT, and I would've raised bloody hell if anyone had tried to throw me out for it. It would have ended very, very badly for all parties involved.

I reiterate, I think it's kinda funny, but I wouldn't blame the student at all for retaliating.

Being an "oldguy", I bet you do remember there being a dress code. IIRC, girls couldn't wear jeans or they risked the wrath of Miss Imogene, correct?

Edited by meaniegreenie

Good for the Prof. I am a die hard Maroon Blooded Aggie Class of '86 and have only worn GREEN for the past four years. It gauls me to see other schools' colors, specially orange, at Apogee. GMG!

I didn't know UNT students wore others schools' gear to UNT's games. I never saw that when I was there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Did you have Clay for any of your classes...he was a big Tech fan.

Clay and Lightner. If you graduated in '03, I'm not sure if Lightner had come to UNT yet. I wanna say there was one other, but I can't quite remember. There were also a couple tech grads in our tax research class (with Lightner) who were insufferable. That was the year Tech played at the Super Pit and UNT beat them.

And actually, now that you mention it, I think Clay was the reason for both the Tech AND the Kentucky connection.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it's funny and hated other school's stuff showing up on campus (at least in state schools...for some reason if someone was sporting a Miichigan shirt it didn't bug me the same way a Texas Tech one would) -- BUT I do think it's probably a bit over the line to ask for the kid to either leave or turn their shirt inside out. It's one thing for other students to give the kid a hard time about it. I did a few times, and more public shaming of that variety should be encouraged.

But a professor is something else.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Of course if the professor had already made it known that they considered it rude and wouldn't allow it, any argument to the contrary is pretty dubious. Professors can make pretty much any reasonable request and expect to have it followed. Some professors even make completely unreasonable ones and still get the support of their department chairs. So if anybody thinks this student has grounds for any sort of lawsuit or other complaint, there had better be some pretty extreme circumstances for that to happen, and I seriously doubt that to be the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think I'd ever ask someone to leave my class, but I definitely reward my students for wearing green since my class is on Fridays. I also call out those who don't. I also award bonus points on the final if the students can sing the fight song and school song.

Michelle, I didn't know you taught as well!