Government Shutdown shutters the Service Academies' games this Sat

So, as I suspected, we (the tax payers) are subsidizing our own competition when we play Army, etc. in the future.

You would be shocked at how much of the taxpayer's subsidize academy sports. I am still bitter recalling when I was a brand new lieutenant and all officers had a mandatory deduction made from our salary to pay for the AFA stadium.

You would be shocked at how much of the taxpayer's subsidize academy sports. I am still bitter recalling when I was a brand new lieutenant and all officers had a mandatory deduction made from our salary to pay for the AFA stadium.

That is total bs. But then again very little in the government makes sense to anyone with common sense.

So they'll gladly pocket the proceeds of these games but then cancel them "because of the cost?"

I'm sorry but that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. There better be full-blown refunds of expenses to those that have spent money to attend these games.

Let's figure this out. They will likely make about $20 per ticket in a stadium that holds 34,000 seats -- a potential of $680,000 in ticket sales? Let's tack on an additional $10 per potential attendee in concessions and another $5 per person for parking (since most fans travel in groups and not all "drive" to the game). That adds another $510,000 to give us a grand total of $1,190,000 in potential revenue, and that's likely on the conservative side of things because I know when I go to a sporting event it's EASY to spend $10 in concessions. Factor in operating costs (this is where my knowledge runs thin) of what? Maybe $500,000 to host a football game? So that's still a net profit of $690,000.

Then of course, there are travel costs, hotel stays for all those attending the game that the program doesn't even "see" directly but people have already spent a lot of money on.

Politics aside, this is just ridiculous. I would hope that those buying plane/bus tickets and hotel stays would be able to get a refund if this game is canceled.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9759741/army-boston-college-air-force-navy-games-await-final-approval

pretty much says that the games are on for this weekend, pending final approval. the expenses would not be made by the government, but in other ways...

can't say i agree with this...only the football players get to play their sports during this shutdown, not all athletic events...don't think that's cool...either the government opens up to let them all events get played or they don't...

• Upvote 3

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9759741/army-boston-college-air-force-navy-games-await-final-approval

pretty much says that the games are on for this weekend, pending final approval. the expenses would not be made by the government, but in other ways...

can't say i agree with this...only the football players get to play their sports during this shutdown, not all athletic events...don't think that's cool...either the government opens up to let them all events get played or they don't...

Football players bring revenue to the academies and to the areas that host their games. The other sports don't. I have no problem with them only letting football players play during this mess. Hell, we all need the dollars (and taxes) that come from hosting these games.

Let all of em in D.C go home and get real jobs and try to remember how working a legit job feels like again. Of course, they'd all leave their celebrity status and lifestyles behind in D.C. so that might make things rather tough for some of them.

If 800,000 goverment employees are designated non-essential, then why the hell we towing the rope for their boats and subsidizing them? I thought we had a money problem in this country. We keep printing it to make it look like we don't and to delay the inevitable.

God Bless America! And damn those who want to change it to something that looks like eastern Europe. Why some want a used beat up Ford jalopy when they've been driving and riding in a Cadillac most their lives beats the hell out of me.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

According to this article Service Academies athletics are funded privately without government dollars.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/02/navys-athletic-director-on-shutdown-football-game-with-air-force-is-being-canceled-due-to-optics-not-lack-of-funds/

I wonder what will happen with the Army v Boston College game.

We'll know for sure tommorow morning, but the DOD did suspend all athletic activities at the Service Academies an overrides the private funding that is provided to the Army and Navy programs (Air Force team is nearly wholly subsided by DOD and personnel there at the Citadel).

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100113aac.html