Someone from Ball State is Butt-Hurt

All About UNT

Fortunately, the officials know the rules better than this Ball State fan. Helmet-to-Helmet tackles happen during the normal course of many plays. If an official sees a defender intentionally lead or launch with their head, then it should be called as a personal foul. If the defender has his arms and body in a "typical tackling motion" (as some officials will say), then the defender is typically not penalized for helmet-to-helmet (or for leading with their helmet). I say typically because a defender will/should get penalized for helmet-to-helmet when coming into a QB while the QB is standing in the pocket.

In Lee's hit on #80, Lee is clearly in a tackling motion with his arms out and around the defender. Thus it is just a bone-rushing hit :)

Here's a good example of when the call will be made... Defender makes no attempt at making a tackling motion and leads with the helmet.

http://youtu.be/VvRKHy0QWZE

On the first hit in the BS video the hit caused a fumble. Doesn't the receiver become a runner in that play and thus not a defenseless player?

I had to back it up a couple time on the Trice hit towards the end of the video since I noticed at least two BS linemen could have been called for holding...

Really? I mean, really? You decided that a thread about a BALL STATE fan being a big ol' vagina needed to be spruced up with more "woe is us" analysis of a game against Tulane? Really?

Hard hitting is nice. If we don't get pressure on the QB and tighten up coverages, this defense could have a game that looks very similar to the game the Cowboys defense had against San Diego.

Who knows, maybe we get 4 turnovers a game all year. The odds of that are very low. Sometimes you just got to play hard ass defense. Can we? Will we?

Still to be answered.

• Downvote 2

With the MAC's very voter-friendly regional bloc of media leading the way, can't we all but be assured that Ball State's loss to North Texas has kept them out of the Top 25 polls up to this point?

I hope CUSA's "media friends" will be just as amiable when our league has an undefeated team at this juncture (and beyond) in the future.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If you lead with the shoulder your head will eventually follow. Last time I had a biology class, it was theorized that a person's head was attached to the body via the neck, which is awfully close to the shoulders. But it's been a while. Things may have changed.

• Upvote 7

The receiver lowered his head into the tacklers. Not our guys fault he was going for the chest and had his shoulder lined up for the ball st guys chest.

Good point, but it was very close to launching and I think the official even warned McCarney about it. I'm glad, however, that we are being aggressive and hard hitting out there. If we go too far the flags will come.

If you lead with the shoulder your head will eventually follow. Last time I had a biology class, it was theorized that a person's head was attached to the body via the neck, which is awfully close to the shoulders. But it's been a while. Things may have changed.

That is usually how it works. However, there are times when the head is attached to the body via the internal parts of the rear orifcace.

Haha I don't know if any of you guys know anything about wrestling but this whole thread reminds me of one of my tournament matches in PA. The ref wouldn't make a holding call even after we went out of bounds 3 times to re-start and warned me about challenging him. So I head-butted the other guy in the face on the whistle, and of course I got called for it. So I commented about the calls on me and not on him...and got warned again. Then the holding continued through the first 2 periods, even after I gave him an escape so I could go after a takedown. So on the final period I put him in a cradle, but from an angle where you can't get a pin or back points and just ground away at his ribs and his temple for 2 minutes. I figured if the ref was going to find a way to let him win, I'd make it as painful as possible, so aside from the head-butt, everything else was a legal move.

My point is...if you complain about somebody else playing too hard, you had better be doing everything right yourself. Because if the ref is playing favorites, you can bet the other party will still find a way to hurt you, even if they lose.

Haha I don't know if any of you guys know anything about wrestling but this whole thread reminds me of one of my tournament matches in PA. The ref wouldn't make a holding call even after we went out of bounds 3 times to re-start and warned me about challenging him. So I head-butted the other guy in the face on the whistle, and of course I got called for it. So I commented about the calls on me and not on him...and got warned again. Then the holding continued through the first 2 periods, even after I gave him an escape so I could go after a takedown. So on the final period I put him in a cradle, but from an angle where you can't get a pin or back points and just ground away at his ribs and his temple for 2 minutes. I figured if the ref was going to find a way to let him win, I'd make it as painful as possible, so aside from the head-butt, everything else was a legal move.

My point is...if you complain about somebody else playing too hard, you had better be doing everything right yourself. Because if the ref is playing favorites, you can bet the other party will still find a way to hurt you, even if they lose.

Undertaker_Wrestlemania_28.JPG

Edited by UNT90