UNT first day of hoops practice (video, notes, quotes)

Harry

I stopped by the opening day of basketball practice for the UNT men this afternoon and shot the video at the top of this post. I talked to Brandan Walton and Chris Jones about the start of practice.

I also talked to a Tony Benford for a story that will appear in tomorrows paper. I wont give it all away, but here is the key quote:

"We are excited", Benford said. "We have a great group of guys with character. We are all disappointed in last year. Im accountable and take responsibility. Its on me. [uNT athletic director Rick Villarreal] hired me to take this program to another level. We have some pieces in place to change the record we had last year."

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/unt-first-day-of-hoops-practice-video-notes-quotes.html/

Except Vito ignores how attendance was beginning to blossom at the end of 2011-2012 season, with the increase in student attendance being the biggest bright spot.

That's gone now. But we should just forget about the lost opportunity and move forward.

That is exactly how mistakes get repeated.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Take to another level?

Mission accomplished?

Twisted meaning...mission accomplished.

Looks like Coach Benford is taking responsibility for last year, but I think it is telling when he says, "We have a great group of guys with character." You blame him for TM regressing, but do you give him credit for J. Williams improvement?

• Upvote 1

Looks like Coach Benford is taking responsibility for last year, but I think it is telling when he says, "We have a great group of guys with character." You blame him for TM regressing, but do you give him credit for J. Williams improvement?

Jordan improved, roger basically stayed the same and that's the end of the even or plus category.

No, roger was better. I'm not saying it was the coach that made him better, but he was better.

Don't you get it with these guys....anything bad is 100% the HC's fault...anything good that happened had ZERO to do with the HC. They like their cake and they eat it do. Just stop trying to even discuss it. These folks want to bitch, whine and cry...just let 'em and ignore 'em. I think that's the tack to take. Last season is over...done...in the books...the new season is here and there appears to be reason to be excited about what has happened with the team and program overall in the off season. So, let these guys hate and enjoy their pity party together. Let's move on without them and see where the program goes. Heck, hard to believe there is anywhere to go but up!

• Upvote 3

You wasted 30 seconds of my time that I will never get back to finally get around to the only reevant thing you've said in a month.

Seems like a personal problem. You need a speed reading class...should not take a person with normal reading skills anywhere near 30 seconds to read that post. :-)

• Upvote 3

This has been covered ad nuaseum.

When you break JWill down to production per minute played, there was basically no improvement.

Also, if a wink doesn't tell you it's sarcasm, maybe you just don't understand what the word means.

I'll check back with you halfway through conference schedule to see which player to chose to blame this year.

• Downvote 1

This has been covered ad nuaseum.

When you break JWill down to production per minute played, there was basically no improvement.

Also, if a wink doesn't tell you it's sarcasm, maybe you just don't understand what the word means.

I'll check back with you halfway through conference schedule to see which player to chose to blame this year.

And, I'll check back with you by then to collect the winnings on our bet. $500, right?

• Upvote 3

And, I'll check back with you by then to collect the winnings on our bet. $500, right?

The bet has always been $50, despite you constantly attempting to move the sticks.

Good thing you got Benny to schedule pushovers. ;-)

NOTE TO LiFER: See that wink on the end? That means I really don't think that Mark controlled the schedule to win the bet.

• Upvote 1

No, roger was better. I'm not saying it was the coach that made him better, but he was better.

Nah, Roger was Roger. He had more playing time, but I don't think he was really improved year to year. Still a really good player (and incidentally one of our family's favorite players), but he is an energy guy and played his heart out like always.

Jordan's jump shot was better towards the end of last season, something that has been credited to this coaching staff.

Take to another level?

Mission accomplished?

Wink? What wink?

Stats can be used to support both sides of an argument. I could state JW improved because his FG% and 3 pt. FG% both improved.

You would probably argue that Yu Darvish was worse this year because he gave up 12 more HR balls and had 3 less wins.

Love him or hate him, hustled hard or hardly hustled, this team is going to miss Tony Mitchell... REALLY BAD.

Nope. The lack of his quitter mentality (and 13 ppg and rebounding/shot blocking prowess) is going to make us BETTER. No really, it is...just ask the local apologists. They'll tell you how Benny is gonna have ideal chemistry and superior coaching against the local junior highs we've lined up in OOC. And NO SEX WITH GIRLS.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Nope. The lack of his quitter mentality (and 13 ppg and rebounding/shot blocking prowess) is going to make us BETTER. No really, it is...just ask the local apologists. They'll tell you how Benny is gonna have ideal chemistry and superior coaching against the local junior highs we've lined up in OOC. And NO SEX WITH GIRLS.

There was actually more than one conversation I had in Hot Springs where the other party seriously suggested we would be better without Tony Mitchell.

It was really hard not to LOL (Laugh out loud for you old folks).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There was actually more than one conversation I had in Hot Springs where the other party seriously suggested we would be better without Tony Mitchell.

It was really hard not to LOL (Laugh out loud for you old folks).

I find it hard to believe that the other person had a chance to say anything between all the complaints you were sharing about everything wrong with UNT basketball. All wrong all the time radio on station UNT90...tune in listen to folks rehash the past and then go out and drink yourself silly.

LOL (even us old guys get that one) ... Really, we do.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I find it hard to believe that the other person had a chance to say anything between all the complaints you were sharing about everything wrong with UNT basketball. All wrong all the time radio on station UNT90...tune in listen to folks rehash the past and then go out and drink yourself silly.

LOL (even us old guys get that one) ... Really, we do.

Ya, that's me, you nailed it.

Don't worry, there are future All Player's Fault All The Time hits coming this year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Funny how there are 2 or 3 on here who are always negative yet always right and the remainder of us are just apologist. What is it like to be so superior? Please, as I sit with unbridled expectations, tell me what it is like to be so right that you would never consider another's opinion?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

Funny how there are 2 or 3 on here who are always negative yet always right and the remainder of us are just apologist. What is it like to be so superior? Please, as I sit with unbridled expectations, tell me what it is like to be so right that you would never consider another's opinion?

KRAM...

We are waiting...

:rolleye0012:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

...tell me what it is like to be so right that you would never consider another's opinion?

It is a kind of euphoria. However, being the modest person that I am, I don’t see it in the egotistical vein of me be right all the time. I prefer to show my compassionate side in really feeling bad about the other guy’s opinion being wrong so often.

• Upvote 3

It is a kind of euphoria. However, being the modest person that I am, I don’t see it in the egotistical vein of me be right all the time. I prefer to show my compassionate side in really feeling bad about the other guy’s opinion being wrong so often.

One day soon, with much patience and meditation, and a dash of divine intervention... I hope to match your humbling humbleness.