Tulsa up on Iowa State 14-7; almost half

Harry

I taped the game, and just started it. What's up with those Tulsa helmets? I kind of like them, but not sure it's a good idea to make your helmets out of C3-PO scraps.

These aren't the players you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along...

While we're half-discussing the Big 12, you know who I think is really screwed this year? West Virginia.

These aren't the players you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along...

While we're half-discussing the Big 12, you know who I think is really screwed this year? West Virginia.

Who is screwed is the Big 12 for taking West Virginia and TCU into their failing fold in the first place. The conference was already tending heavily toward mediocrity. The Mountaineers and Horned Frogs assured mediocrity for the conference for a decade...or, at least until Texas takes the last parachute on board and jumps, leaving Oklahoma to pilot the sizzling crap heap of football nothingness aimlessly into the future.

THAT will be the chance for us to jump into the fray!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Who is screwed is the Big 12 for taking West Virginia and TCU into their failing fold in the first place. The conference was already tending heavily toward mediocrity. The Mountaineers and Horned Frogs assured mediocrity for the conference for a decade...or, at least until Texas takes the last parachute on board and jumps, leaving Oklahoma to pilot the sizzling crap heap of football nothingness aimlessly into the future.

In case you haven't noticed, Texas is becoming quite the sizzling crap heap itself. Nothing like the "most valuable" program in your conference striving for mediocrity.

I think there is a longstanding invitation for UT and OU to go pretty much anywhere they want if they decide the big12 is no longer right for them. Maybe not SEC (or maybe so?), but any other conference would kill to have both of those schools.

I think there is a longstanding invitation for UT and OU to go pretty much anywhere they want if they decide the big12 is no longer right for them. Maybe not SEC (or maybe so?), but any other conference would kill to have both of those schools.

The Pac-12 and the ACC both told Texas that their LHN wouldn't be acceptable at all for consideration of membership in their leagues. Obviously, the Big Ten and the SEC feel exactly the same about the LHN.

The GOR for the Big XII schools and the ACC schools will really be the litmus test for more AQ realignment. If the GORs cannot get busted, then realignment will pretty much stay as it is. But if it gets busted with small exit fees or buyouts, the Big XII and the ACC are going to git pillaged by the Big Three AQs. There is a pretty good rumor out there that OU and KU to the Big Ten is very possible, along with Mizzou, UNC, Duke, and UVa. That would give the Big Ten 18 teams, spread from the entire East Coast through the midwest. That would leave the SEC to replace Mizzou, which is a horrible fit in that league anyway, and they can get the footholds in states they covet to get into by adding Va Tech and NC State. The ACC would then replace their losses with West Virginia, Cincy, UConn, East Carolina, and South Florida..

If the Big XII loses either Texas or Oklahoma, they are done. Oklahoma and Kansas both have other schools to keep in mind, so they could get stuck with them, but I doubt it. Same with Texas, as it concerns Tech, Baylor, and TCU, but I suspect Texas can get away if they take care of Tech or if they decide to go independent because no one wants Tech in the other major AQ conferences--the Big Ten called Texas' main issue from being invited to their league as "The Tech Problem". The Pac brethren feel exactly the same way about Tech and Okie State, but they will take them if it gets them Texas (sans the LHN) and Oklahoma. Probably the same for KU, too, in that K-State might be able to go west with all of them if it means the Pac can get the Big Three from the Big 12, UT, OU, and KU, all of which have powers in the $$$ sports and have high academic accolades on their side (UT and KU are in the AAU, which seems to be very highly regarded for an invite to the Big Ten, and OU, while not in the AAU, has the most National Merit Scholars amongst public universities in the country).

One thing is for sure, Baylor's gonna sue the hell out of everyone to block all of this and they will get lots of support from their brethren in FW, too, but I just don't see this working out too well for either of those two private schools. I think the Big XII's best days passed as soon as they lost Nebraska, Colorado, A&M, and Mizzou. Each delivered big names for either TV markets or national recognition and all ahve great academic pedigrees from the AAU. Replacing them with TCU and WVU is not even close to being sufficient.

While we're busy killing Tulane next weekend, Tulsa plays Rice at Skelly.

I'll be keeping a close eye on that game. I think we'll find out if Tulsa really is bad during that game. If they hang with Rice (lose by 14 or less), or beat them, then they're still dangerous. If they get blown out (lose by 15+) at home, then sure, I'll hop on the 'Tulsa is Terrible' bandwagon.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

Look, after the Pac-12 told Texas no dice due to the LHN, the deal fell apart. Oklahoma attempted to go it alone to the Pac-12 and were told no.

Whether Oklahoma likes it or not, it doesn't matter how much they dominate Texas on the field, Texas has the bigger checkbook and alumni base. That they can't put together they type of championship runs nationally, like Alabama, or in conference, like Oklahoma, doesn't matter.

Whether the kids at UT use soap or not doesn't factor in either. They can and will go where they choose as far as college football is concerned. And, they can go with or without Oklahoma. The Pac-12 experiment has already shown that Oklahoma cannot necessarily go it alone to the same degree.

Above all else, Texas has piles of cash that ESPN is erroneously shoveling to them for another 17 years. But, contracts are contracts. Which is to say, either side can find a way to break it if they've had a lawyer worth two cups of tobacco spit writing it for them.

The Big 12 is sliding down the path to ACC wishy-washiness in football competition. In basketball, it is sheer horse flop outside of Kansas. But, no one give a monkey's hairy ass about basketball when it comes to conference shuffling.

No, my friends, Texas will call the tune to which others will dance in the Big12 until they leave. And, when they leave, they will be perfectly able to go it alone with Oklahoma.

Besides, what difference does it make to Sooner fans which conference Texas underachieves in?

• Upvote 1