Expect to see a lot more of Buyers, Jones at CB

Harry

Over the last few weeks, we have seen a shift in terms of what UNT is rolling out on Saturday afternoons defensively in its secondary at cornerback.

Don’t expect that to change once UNT gets through its bye week.

UNT head coach Dan McCarney said this week that he will continue to roll all four of his cornerbacks in during games.

He also indicated that Kenny Buyers is playing better than anyone else right now.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/expect-to-see-a-lot-more-of-buyers-jones-at-cb.html/

I'm happy for the emergence of Buyers, but hope Whitfield can figure out whatever his problem is.

Whitfield defended that one TD pass in the end zone perfectly. It just happened to go off of his deflection straight into the hands of the receiver. Bad luck. I think he's a decent cover corner.

Unfortunately, he gets beat on the deep ball more than anyone else on the team. Maybe it's because he gets frozen peeking in the backfield on play actions. This can be coached. Maybe it's because he doesn't get his hips turned in time to follow the receiver out of his break. This can be coached. I don't think his issue is lack of speed. He was a track star.

I think Zach will be OK eventually... at least, I hope so.

• Upvote 1

After all the talk prior to, and after, the Georgia game about DB's not turning around during the crucial part of their coverage right before the ball gets there, I decided to watch Buyers and how he covers.

And guess what? When he broke up a would be TD pass in the end zone against a much taller player than himself, he NEVER turned around. What he did was read the eyes of the receiver and then stuck his arm up between the outstretched arms of the receiver and broke up the pass. If he hadn't done that, it would have been an easy TD.

I've heard NFL commentators talk about how some DB's (in this case the better ones) are able to read the receivers eyes, and just as the ball is about to get there the receivers eyes get bigger. The better DBs then time their jump and/or stick their arm in there at that big-eyed second to break up the pass.

So, which is it guys? Turn around at the last second, or read the receivers eyes?

• Upvote 1

After all the talk prior to, and after, the Georgia game about DB's not turning around during the crucial part of their coverage right before the ball gets there, I decided to watch Buyers and how he covers.

And guess what? When he broke up a would be TD pass in the end zone against a much taller player than himself, he NEVER turned around. What he did was read the eyes of the receiver and then stuck his arm up between the outstretched arms of the receiver and broke up the pass. If he hadn't done that, it would have been an easy TD.

I've heard NFL commentators talk about how some DB's (in this case the better ones) are able to read the receivers eyes, and just as the ball is about to get there the receivers eyes get bigger. The better DBs then time their jump and/or stick their arm in there at that big-eyed second to break up the pass.

So, which is it guys? Turn around at the last second, or read the receivers eyes?

Reading a wrs eyes, and ripping the ball out when it drops in the wrs arms/hands are last resorts once you lose the ball or get beat. It is not the ideal situation you want a DB to be in.

In a perfect situation, you would rather a DB see the ball in flight so it can be picked off.

The James Jones pass interference, you can read the refs lips when trice and Jones was debating the call. He said you never turned and looked for the ball.

Jerry Rice used to score touchdowns by baiting DB's into doing just that. He'd get all wide-eyed and then accelerate to catch the pass. The DB would be left looking silly lunging at a ball that wasn't even coming yet.

Whitfield defended that one TD pass in the end zone perfectly. It just happened to go off of his deflection straight into the hands of the receiver. Bad luck. I think he's a decent cover corner.

Unfortunately, he gets beat on the deep ball more than anyone else on the team. Maybe it's because he gets frozen peeking in the backfield on play actions. This can be coached. Maybe it's because he doesn't get his hips turned in time to follow the receiver out of his break. This can be coached. I don't think his issue is lack of speed. He was a track star.

I think Zach will be OK eventually... at least, I hope so.

Right, speed is not an issue with Whitfield. As Coach Mac says, you just have to make the play. Whitfield does it in practice, just has to translate it over to the game.

• Upvote 1

Corner is a position where you have to have certain intangibles to be a top corner. Some things cant be taught. Whitfield is a 4.5 speed guy if I had to guess. Not great speed, but not bad to where he should be giving up these big plays. Jackson is probably closer to 4.6 and that is an issue at corner.

Whitfield is not a true corner and it is not a knock because true corners are hard to find. Of course most of us have heard it's about the hips. Some have worked with stepping over hurdles to improve flexibility, but its not going to turn a person into a corner. Its more than running fast.

In my opinion, these guys are safeties. Your backpedal, turn and run is going to show if you can be a top corner. In a lot of cases, you are a natural. The turn is smooth, quick, and you do not lose much speed. Good body control, balance, and change of direction.

The original starting corners have technique and physical limitations. If they improved thier technique, they could probably hold thier own, but they are going to continue to get picked on without safety help. They are not one on one cover corners like that.

I'm happy for the emergence of Buyers, but hope Whitfield can figure out whatever his problem is.

Whitfield played some safety in hs from what I read. The main reason he was moved from rb to corner was due to the talent this team had at corner. He held his own and did a respectable job, but now we have two guys who are more natural fits. buyers and Jones will most likely be the starters, this year and next.

I can see Whitfield filling in at free safety next year once trice leaves. We should have great coverage next year if this is the case with 3 returning starters and a safety with starting corner experience.

Edited by GOMG2013

Jerry Rice used to score touchdowns by baiting DB's into doing just that. He'd get all wide-eyed and then accelerate to catch the pass. The DB would be left looking silly lunging at a ball that wasn't even coming yet.

Jerry rice is infinitly better than any wr the corners will ever see...if the opposing wrs do this, they deserve the damn touchdown...

Don't the refs look for you to make a play on the ball? I thought that was a key part of deciding interference calls.

If so, I think you gotta coach the turnaround. Reading eyes is instinctual, and a gamble in a flagged situation.

**EDIT: Emmit's post above about Rice only reinforces this.

Edited by greenminer

Whitfield played some safety in college from what I read. The main reason he was moved from rb to corner was due to the talent this team had at corner. He held his own and did a respectable job, but now we have two guys who are more natural fits. buyers and Jones will most likely be the starters, this year and next.

I can see Whitfield filling in at free safety next year once trice leaves. We should have great coverage next year if this is the case with 3 returning starters and a safety with starting corner experience.

Whitfield played safety in high school, I think that's what you meant.

• Upvote 1

Most were singing praises of Whitfield last year. He is the same player and hopefully can start making more plays.

There is a reason that NT controlled Ga's ground game for the post part. The corners had lot of single deep coverages and too often failed, but those were tough circumstances. Whitfield maybe CUSA fast but not SEC fast trying to cover quicker bigger guys.

NT will match up much better against CUSA opposition. I doubt many will force NT into 7 or 8 in the box defenses to stop the run. Also most CUSA teams are going to have similar speed to NT, a couple of burners but not great speed.

• Upvote 1

Our corners can't play man, Trice bites on the play action and leaves the corner on an island.

Secondly, we've played againist 2 really good QB's, CUSA competition won't even come close. Guarantee you if they have a Wr open for 30 yrds they'll complete it 20% of the time, not 50-60%

Edited by Dr. Seuss