#Hit30K

Mean_Green09

I'm up for whatever you want to call it. Just thinking of ways we can get people in the stands without having to write a strongly worded letter to the athletic department that goes no where. Instead I just feel like putting some responsibility on myself and any other alumni or students that want to get involved.

• Upvote 6

I would like to sponsor or help sponsor an event called #Hit30K. If the players are trying to get to 6 wins so why can’t the fans/students/alumni have a goal to reach. The goal is to reach 30 thousand fans for a home game. I think it would be a great promotion. I’m open to idea’s to get this going. I’d be willing to donate some prizes to the event. The basis would be for fans to come to the game and get other fans to go to the game. They would take a picture at the game showing their fan support and send it to the organizers. The organizers would pick the winner and give them the prizes. The key is that there has to at be least 30 thousand in attendance at the game for the contest to be authentic. If it’s less than 30 the prizes roll over to the next home game until there are at least 30K in attendance. What do you think?

Great idea

Mean_Green09 - Maybe make a Facebook page called "Fill Apogee" or "Hit30K" where you can explain the goal and incentives. When people tell others about the goal they can simply tell them to go "Like" the Facebook Page and then you (or other admins on the page) can give a handful of updates every week to keep it on people's minds and remind them to keep spreading the word.

• Upvote 1

I suggested the following to the athletic department two years ago, but it fell upon deaf ears. Since we have the advantage of computer technology, why not have all the scanned tickets go into a randomly selected computer program to select winners for game prizes. Also, attendance would be rewarded by selecting winners who came to all the games--such as going with the team to a bowl game, student scholarship monies and even discounts on concession items. Those who bought season tickets, came to all the games and donated to the Mean Green Club would acrue points at the end of the season and based on their points they would be the winners of various prizes. Also, students who came to all the games would qualify for certain prizes. These would be awarded at the end of the season and prizes given to the winners. Concession discounts could be used for basketball or roll over to concessions at the next year's football season (option of the individual winners).

• Upvote 1

The game that has sellout possibility is the home game against UTEP. Even if they are bad--and they are--they have a lot of alumni here in DFW. And the students, alumni, and Denton residents have heard of UTEP. If we are in first place by then, I expect to see a crowd of no less than 25k, but if we are unbeaten in CUSA play, a sellout is very possible. Let me put it this way, if we win most of or all of our games between now and that home game against UTEP (@Tulane, home vs MUTS, @ La Tech, @ Southern Miss, home vs. Rice on Halloween) and have good weather when the Miners come into town, there will be no excuse available anymore for attendance issues. You would have wins, a Texas team that has been around for decades as a FBS school, beautiful stadium, and a big game toward getting into the CUSA Championship game. If people cannot get excited enough to come out for this game, then there is just not much else to say. I would be willing to bet this will be the highest attended game ever at Apogee IF we keep winning. I just fear those road games and that home game against Rice.

Great idea

I like the idea but I think 30K is lofty, but it shouldn't be. You don't want to discourage the fans if they feel the goal is not reasonable. Given our hx since the stadium opened I think I would set the goal lower...25000...which would be a huge improvement. If this has some success, then next year repeat at 27000...etc. So what would the prizes be....will they appeal to the students...thats important

I suggested the following to the athletic department two years ago, but it fell upon deaf ears.

Why do we keep hearing that same refrain time and again? PATHETIC.

To the O.P., great idea. Based on recent history, I'm not sure that 30k is realistic. Maybe set the goal at 25k?

EDIT: HMG, have you hacked my brain?!

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A great idea but do be careful. One of our alums successfully set a women's soccer attendance record through a Facebook promotion...and was chided by our athletic department for his efforts.

I'm not trying to step on their toes or anything. Just trying to get something accomplished. So if they are mad or butt hurt that we as alumni pull together and make something special like this happen then I could care less. This is about our university our program. I didn't elect the people who make those decisions in the athletic dept. none of us did other wise we probably would have asked for a re-election by now. This is about doing something good and rewarding the players with a packed house.

• Upvote 5

I get their point they don't want to have people come out for just one game and then never come back. Or have people come out just for a chance to win a prize. Why run any promotion like they did last year against ULaLa? That was a big success now wasn't it. We could probably go out in the community and hand out free tickets and we still couldn't fill up our beautiful stadium.

My thought process is once you come into Apogee and see how nice it is matched with the product on the field well you will want to come back. Or at least I hope.

This sounds like a cool idea.

I can't find the thread but someone ran their own promotion for a Soccer game setting an attendance record. Instead of praise the person was chastised, so be careful with this.

Whoever that was should have told whoever did the chastising to F off.

Seriously, someone help with attendance and is met with resentment?

That person should be fired.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

It is a universal message that if you want to do something big, stop being intimidated and get started. It doesn't take a heroic effort to start (although it sometimes takes heroic effort to keep going), and in the long run, unless you start doing something, you're never going to get it done. (copied)

What our school, ie, the University of North Texas needs to do for the Apogee turnstiles involves our entire UNT constituency, but the UNT Adminstration, the UNT BOR's and UNT Athletics has to be the first ones to say: "we do see the problem here so........"come on everyone, let's get started in solving it."

How much positive mileage has UTSA received based on their attendance alone in this their Year 3 of an NCAA existence? Has any of their national publicity been about wins? Well, uh, what wins?

The whole time concerning UTSA has been all about their remarkable attendance and all you fellow conference re-alignment watchers just watch..........all happening in the shadow of the Alamo could one day get them a MWC invite (if they want one) for those who can look past today and their nostrils.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Who ever is interested in make this work. I'm suggesting on putting together a planning committee together to hash out the details of how we get this campaign to work. Never anything wrong with a little Mean Green get together or large one. I'm not going to turn away anyone wanting to help in any way possible. I think most of us in favor of something like this all want the same common goal. Good football, being on TV, and getting people in the stands could be a perfect storm to launching this program.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, what are they going to do? I ain't afraid of no chiding. Bring it on.

Set the goal high and stay with the 30k goal. Funny, this is the same board that criticizes North Texas for not setting lofty goals and now suggests lowering goals. Crazy.

Good point.

100k or bust!!! And don't try lowering goals, or you're a weak fan wuss!!!

• Downvote 2

Who ever is interested in make this work. I'm suggesting on putting together a planning committee together to hash out the details of how we get this campaign to work. Never anything wrong with a little Mean Green get together or large one. I'm not going to turn away anyone wanting to help in any way possible. I think most of us in favor of something like this all want the same common goal. Good football, being on TV, and getting people in the stands could be a perfect storm to launching this program.

HINT: It's got to be their idea and I defer to the content of my post just right above your own post.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen