Benford keeps winning the recruiting battles

Harry

You know, I think we all wish last year could be erased from our fan memory banks. And I know that some on here hate Benford and blame him for last years debacle. And he most certainly does deserve much of the blame.

That said, the man (and his staff) can still identify talent and recruit. And a good recruiter can turn things around a lot faster than a mediocre one.

Just giving the man his due. GMG

You know, I think we all wish last year could be erased from our fan memory banks. And I know that some on here hate Benford and blame him for last years debacle. And he most certainly does deserve much of the blame.

That said, the man (and his staff) can still identify talent and recruit. And a good recruiter can turn things around a lot faster than a mediocre one.

Just giving the man his due. GMG

This is true.

But, a major concern remains: Retention of these players. 2 of the guys we signed this offseason are now at JUCOs. A guy that was signed last year (after booting a player to make room for him) is also gone.

• Upvote 4

I would be much more excited if this staff had a history of getting and keeping recruits on campus. As it is, I think we have one high school recruit on the roster that was brought in by this staff. All of the others either never got here or left.

Let's tap the breaks on if Benford and his staff can identify talent and recruit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not wanting to debate the departures/non-arrivals, but here are the guys that are not in Denton.

Josh Friar - Major project that came off his high school's .500 record bench. Should have never signed. Headcase

Tony Nunn - OK, but was too slow and out of shape for a faster paced offense. Injury prone. Not a big loss

Never signed:

Arthur Casimiro - Brazilian Juco that was not putting up D1 numbers in the few games he played

Anthony Norris - Was coming off Midland's bench. Was never the player he was as a HS Soph.

Left the program:

Trey Norris - Was never going to be a key factor

Clarke Overlander - Had every opportunity to impress the coaches during his .30 seconds in and out of the rotation.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not wanting to debate the departures/non-arrivals, but here are the guys that are not in Denton.

Josh Friar - Major project that came off his high school's .500 record bench. Should have never signed. Headcase

Tony Nunn - OK, but was too slow and out of shape for a faster paced offense. Injury prone. Not a big loss

Never signed:

Arthur Casimiro - Brazilian Juco that was not putting up D1 numbers in the few games he played

Anthony Norris - Was coming off Midland's bench. Was never the player he was as a HS Soph.

Left the program:

Clarke Overlander - Had every opportunity to impress the coaches during his .30 seconds in and out of the rotation.

Why were we going after those first 4 guys in the first place? And don't forget about PJ Hardwick. He was a very serviceable backup point guard.

Especially with Casimiro and Friar, they were big reaches at the time and we were all making sure not to overreact to their lack of production. Turns out we shouldn't have offered them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From what I was told, they were "immature" and "not ready for Division-I basketball." It was in both parties best interest for them to go JUCO instead of come play for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

Never signed:

Left the program:

I was talking about another guy who left the program...

Why were we going after those first 4 guys in the first place? And don't forget about PJ Hardwick. He was a very serviceable backup point guard.

Especially with Casimiro and Friar, they were big reaches at the time and we were all making sure not to overreact to their lack of production. Turns out we shouldn't have offered them.

Bingo.

That guy was leaving regardless...

But he could have left as a MUCH higher draft pick under any other coach, except for maybe Isaiah.

dang it! I'm not coming across very well here:

P.J. Hardwick. P.J. Hardwick was a celebrated recruit we won and P.J. Hardwick is no longer with the program.

The person I am talking about is P.J. Hardwick.

• Upvote 1

PJ Hardwick was nothing but a cancer in the lockerroom, on the practice court, in the dorms, and everywhere else he showed up. Pinning coaches against each other with the help of his father and cheap shotting teammates. PJ was nowhere near a good player or good teammate. He had an inconsistent jumpshot, lack of court vision, and continued to butt heads with the coaches, staff, managers and teammates on the bench when he was pulled. For those of you who think that was Benfords fault we lost him you are crazy. It was a godsend when we sent him packing. Him and Coach Brady will make a wonderful hot headed bully duo at Arkansas State. I honestly dont think anyone can say anything good about PJ other than he put up a great front to fans and others. Nothing more than a smartass conartist infront of certain people. Behind closed doors he was a TERRIBLE PERSON!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

PJ Hardwick was nothing but a cancer in the lockerroom, on the practice court, in the dorms, and everywhere else he showed up. Pinning coaches against each other with the help of his father and cheap shotting teammates. PJ was nowhere near a good player or good teammate. He had an inconsistent jumpshot, lack of court vision, and continued to butt heads with the coaches, staff, managers and teammates on the bench when he was pulled. For those of you who think that was Benfords fault we lost him you are crazy. It was a godsend when we sent him packing. Him and Coach Brady will make a wonderful hot headed bully duo at Arkansas State. I honestly dont think anyone can say anything good about PJ other than he put up a great front to fans and others. Nothing more than a smartass conartist infront of certain people. Behind closed doors he was a TERRIBLE PERSON!

Wow.

OK. I guess we'll see if losing him was a plus as you're saying.

Lots of locker room challenges last year on the men's team, but many folks here don't want to hear this sort of truth. In their minds the players are 100% blameless for the disaster of a season UNT had last year and were in no way responsible for their production.

So, be very careful CaveCrew, you are stepping in dangerous territory here...truth is often dangerous as so many refuse to believe the truth in many cases.

Don't know how this info is known to you, but there are others who can testify to your statements.

Folks, it is what it is...and was what it was...a new season and new new team attitude is nearing. We have the Tip-Off event on Oct. 10th at the Super Pit. I challenge everyone to put their personal prejudices and opinions aside and come support this team starting with the tip-off event on the 10th at 7PM. These guys and coaches really have been working hard this off-season, and from early reports the team seems to be much...MUCH...more together right now than it EVER was last season.

Last year is OVER...this year is upon us. A new year...good things possible and probable. Will you be there to support YOUR team? Hope so as i think it going to be much more fun this year to be at the Super Pit for the games. Just sayin....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kram you are 100% right. This team has been working VERY HARD! The most important thing to these players is the support of the fans. No one knows how dissappointed they were in themselves last season. They knew they let everyone down. The players brought in are helping the veteran Mean Greeners and rookies to be accountable. But like I said, what this team needs and wants nothing more is the fans support.

I definitely don't mind hearing "the truth", however the truth just doesn't make a lot of sense. We were a cohesive team the year before, so how'd the locker room have so many issues? The core group of guys appeared to be a family and it just wasn't apparent that there were outside factors that contributed to the downfall.

I know we'll probably never know all the issues if there actually were, but from the outside looking in its just hard to accept.

No one has said anything about PJ being a good kid. He didn't put on a good or bad front. None of us really knew anything about him as a person. Even though he might've been, calling a freshman in college a terrible person is unnecessary IMO.

Of course there is no way last year was all Benford's fault. It was a complete train wreck (or dumpster fire) which means pretty much everyone was to blame. Players immaturity was a big issue, but that doesn't change the fact that Benford failed as the leader of the team.

No point in arguing who was more responsible, because they all were.

• Upvote 1

I definitely don't mind hearing "the truth", however the truth just doesn't make a lot of sense. We were a cohesive team the year before, so how'd the locker room have so many issues? The core group of guys appeared to be a family and it just wasn't apparent that there were outside factors that contributed to the downfall.

I know we'll probably never know all the issues if there actually were, but from the outside looking in its just hard to accept.

It's simple. When you're winning it's competent coaching. When you're losing (to D2 schools and in a blowout in Hot Springs) it's the sudden and inexplicable rebellion of con artist players.

Everyone deserves a fresh, new beginning. After all, how many have of us had to have one of those (or more) in our own professional lives? Coach "B" the same. Would like to see the this chapter of the "Oxbow Incident" come to an end and the lynch mob disband one by one because Coach B can't completely have that fresh start until this happens. All UNT enthusiasts want this thing to work out at North Texas...so does Coach Benford.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have listened to reasons ad nauseum regarding last year's failure. The blame never falls all at one's feet. Those blaming Benford, some to unhealthy levels, need to stop and look at the coaching staff he assembled. This was the most experienced staff ever, and I just don't see someone with Evans' background and experience letting Benford fall on his face. I don't know if we will ever really nail down what exactly led to the poor season, but it was probably a little bit of everything, players and coaches, but they all deserve a second chance. I appreciate the effort Benford is putting into recruiting and hope it pays off in the win/loss column.

Edited by UNTLifer