Constructive Criticism from GA Game

Harry

OK so keeping in mind I was extremely pleased with how hard the team played on Saturday here are a couple of the things that I would like to see improve:

-- Our secondary has to get better at making plays on the ball. I think we are often times in position and just don't make a play on the ball. Whitfield catches a lot of the heat for this but you could apply it to every guy out there. If I am Ryan Walters I spend less time on getting into position and focus more time in practice on making plays on the ball in the air through technique and reading the wide receivers eyes etc. This type of issue will hurt you against less talented teams. Right now if I am a UNT opponent I go deep a lot and just have my QB throw up the ball in the air. 9 times out of 10 our DB will have his back turned and they will score a 99-yard TD... I just get no level of confidence that our DB's are lining up to own a receiver on every single play from scrimmage.

--- I didn't like the coaching indecision in the second half, especially in the 4th quarter. It seemed like after we tied up the game the coaches moved back into that conservative offense which just isn't going to work against a team the likes of Georgia. One drive in particular - when we were deep on our side of the field - started with a run right up the middle and that CRAPPY wide receiver 2-step drop throw not to Brelan that NEVER works... you get the picture. Then later Mac goes for it on 4th down when we clearly weren't able to do ANYTHING on offense. Pick one strategy and stick to it -- I think they changed their minds too much yesterday and it hurt us on the scoreboard.

-- Can DT please throw a decent pass to tight end Marcus Smith? It seems like everytime DT tries to hit Smith the pass is out of reach or behind him... that kid would have made a huge difference in the game and we just can't get him the ball!

-- Our offensive line may be good against the pass but they are not very good in the running game right now. Anyone saying otherwise isn't watching the games. I will say this, I would give my left nut to have a running back hit the hole instead of this delay sidelines to sidelines crap they've been throwing out there. Just poor poor play from the running backs and if the line doesn't start making some improvement opening up holes then put another guy out there who is hungry.

-- Is Darius Terrell in the doghouse? You would have thought he would be a great matchup for us yesterday and the guy barely makes the field?? Wassup with DT2?

-- please --- the fake field goal pooch kick isn't going to fool anyone in that situation.

-- I understand you want to get McNulty a chance to run some plays and let some of the guys get playing time in Athens but come on calling time outs versus running out the clock at end of the game was sort of bush league to me. Just run out the clock and shake hands. No need to recycle the pencil shavings!

1. You do realize that the Georgia WR's made some very "non-routine" catches in the game? The kid who caught the long TD pass is a Florida state sprint champion.

2.The Georgia D-line was very much an SEC D-line and outragiously athletic. DT7 was hit almost everytime he dropped back . That was the case on the play you mentioned. He had to get rid of it before he wanted to. He just didn't have time Saturday. They were very much in a "make-up mode" from their loss against South Carolina. They were on a different level than UGA's offense. We will not see another defence of that caliber the rest of the year. It was tough loss but a measuring stick none the less.

Edited by DT 90

He needed a little bit more time on that throw. He had to rush it other wise I think its a TD.

I haven't seen the replay so ill take your word on that. I had to step back from my position where I was standing because the throw was coming right at me. And he DT threw it early I wouldn't be surprised because he took several big shots to the ribs. At least three different times I didnt think he was going to get back up, and didnt until one of the linemen went over, grabbed him and picked him back up.

The UGA D line and linebacking corp were huge and fast. To best describe a simulation of someone taking the same shots from the likes of that group as DT did I'd say stand with your hands in the air as if you are trying to unscrew a light bulb and let a large person on a bicycle freight-train into your ribs and see how you feel getting back up and doing it another 7 or 8 more times?

DT is a tough dude.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

About the wheel route to Smith,.. Staff members told me they hit that play every time in practice last week. If he hits him in stride it knotted at 28.

Rick

Thompson missed Marcus Smith twice...and they were likely the two biggest misses of the game. The first came on the drive before Will Wright's pick...the defense just forced a three and out on Georgia's first drive...UNT threw on first down and Smith hit the seem and had acres of space but the throw required far more touch than what DT put on it. That had gone for 30+.

The next one was the wheel route...beautifully called, just not quite executed...I do think DT was rushed and I think Smith pulled up his route just enough. Even if run to perfection I don't think it'd have been 6 b/c that 6'5" safety was hawking the play, but it'd been a big gain.

I am extremely happy though that Smith seems to be becoming a bigger part of the offense...I love Miller and Prior, but they're not the biggest of threats in the passing game...Smith brings a dimension to TE that we haven't had since Andy Blount. I think those routes and throws will be there against lesser teams.

Those two passes and doing absolutely nothing after the fumble recovery were the biggest difference in this not having been a closer game in the 4th.

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 1

Thompson missed Marcus Smith twice...and they were likely the two biggest misses of the game. The first came on the drive before Will Wright's pick...the defense just forced a three and out on Georgia's first drive...UNT threw on first down and Smith hit the seem and had acres of space but the throw required far more touch than what DT put on it. That had gone for 30+.

The next one was the wheel route...beautifully called, just not quite executed...I do think DT was rushed and I think Smith pulled up his route just enough. Even if run to perfection I don't think it'd have been 6 b/c that 6'5" safety was hawking the play, but it'd been a big gain.

I am extremely happy though that Smith seems to be becoming a bigger part of the offense...I love Miller and Prior, but they're not the biggest of threats in the passing game...Smith brings a dimension to TE that we haven't had since Andy Blount. I think those routes and throws will be there against lesser teams.

Those two passes and doing absolutely nothing after the fumble recovery were the biggest difference in this not having been a closer game in the 4th.

Agree. It appears that Smith has some major wheels? I wonder how fast he really is compared to the other backs and WR's.

Rick

• Upvote 1

<snip>

-- I understand you want to get McNulty a chance to run some plays and let some of the guys get playing time in Athens but come on calling time outs versus running out the clock at end of the game was sort of bush league to me. Just run out the clock and shake hands. No need to recycle the pencil shavings!

Here's my take on that Harry. On that last possession, UGA could have taken a knee and ended the game. It was already over at that point, but they didn't. They chose to run up the score. So, I think the reaction on the sidelines was to basically say f'em. We'll just work in a little practice ourselves and stretch this game out as long as possible if that's what you want to do. The fans were booing and all beside themselves when we had the audacity to keep calling timeouts with a minute or so left and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

• Upvote 6

Harry, I agree with most of what you are saying... but would you really sacrifice your left testicle just to see a RB hit the hole?

I mean, I consider myself a pretty big Mean Green fan, but if it meant losing a nut, I'd probably instead try to see if we could improve the passing game

• Upvote 3

On all these deep passes we're getting beat on, it's always the corner one on one with the receiver. We play our safeties up and ask our corners to play deep. That probably plays to our safeties strengths and helps against the run and short to mid passes, but we're continually leaving our corners on a island and they are not proving to be able to handle it.

• Upvote 2

Here's my take on that Harry. On that last possession, UGA could have taken a knee and ended the game. It was already over at that point, but they didn't. They chose to run up the score. So, I think the reaction on the sidelines was to basically say f'em. We'll just work in a little practice ourselves and stretch this game out as long as possible if that's what you want to do. The fans were booing and all beside themselves when we had the audacity to keep calling timeouts with a minute or so left and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Very few are going to take a knee in that situation with a couple of minutes left, they are going to do exactly what Georgia did. Have their reserves in and run the ball exclusively.

• Upvote 1

Very few are going to take a knee in that situation with a couple of minutes left, they are going to do exactly what Georgia did. Have their reserves in and run the ball exclusively.

This. We knew they were going to run the ball and just didn't make a play. They weren't trying to run up the score.

How would yall have felt if the Georgia's back simply fell down when he saw the open field in front of him? That would piss you off more, I would hope.

• Upvote 1

1. You do realize that the Georgia WR's made some very "non-routine" catches in the game? The kid who caught the long TD pass is a Florida state sprint champion.

2.The Georgia D-line was very much an SEC D-line and outragiously athletic. DT7 was hit almost everytime he dropped back . That was the case on the play you mentioned. He had to get rid of it before he wanted to. He just didn't have time Saturday. They were very much in a "make-up mode" from their loss against South Carolina. They were on a different level than UGA's offense. We will not see another defence of that caliber the rest of the year. It was tough loss but a measuring stick none the less.

Well, he had time to hit #86 with a pass down the middle. And 86 looked like he was about the same distance down the field as #18 was on both of his routes.

• Upvote 1

Well, he had time to hit #86 with a pass down the middle. And 86 looked like he was about the same distance down the field as #18 was on both of his routes.

Totally different pass patterns and Derek probably didn't have one of their Monster DE's in his face or pounding him to the ground unlike the pass to #18.