MGN: CUSA Power Rankings

aztecskin

You have Middle Tennessee too high in my opinion - maybe five or six, but not ready to think any higher. We've got an Offensive line that has not been completely healthy this season, Logan Kilgore doesn't seem to be particularly sharp yet - he did suffer an injury to his throwing shoulder in the first game, and our defense though improved from last season still has depth issues. We did manage to squeak by an improving Memphis two weeks ago (who stomped a mudhole in arky state on Saturday) and we were fortunate to get past FAU in OT.

Raiders are a 21 or 22 point dog at BYU on Friday night, and the Cougars seem only slightly more schizophrenic than the Blue Raiders. I don't think even a win would clear up how good or not this team is.

Edited by Spaceraider
  • Upvote 4

You have Middle Tennessee too high in my opinion - maybe five or six, but not ready to think any higher. We've got an Offensive line that has not been completely healthy this season, Logan Kilgore doesn't seem to be particularly sharp yet - he did suffer an injury to his throwing shoulder in the first game, and our defense though improved from last season still has depth issues. We did manage to squeak by an improving Memphis two weeks ago (who stomped a mudhole in arky state on Saturday) and we were fortunate to get past FAU in OT.

Raiders are a 21 or 22 point dog at BYU on Friday night, and the Cougars seem only slightly more schizophrenic than the Blue Raiders. I don't think even a win would clear up how good or not this team is.

Yall go get em' Spaceraider!

GMG!

Ha. I made the mistake of underrating MTSU last season. I wrote them off after the McNeese St game, then ya'll proceeded to only lose three more the rest of the way (ARKY did whoop you tho). Still, I respect the Raiders.

Our big game is TULSA. The other games are steps, I know, (1 game at a time) but this team can beat the crap iut of most of these CUSA teams if they stay healthy.

Are we really at the point to where we now think we can blow out most of CUSA? I expect most of, if not all of the CUSA games to be dogfights...particularly the ones on the road.

• Upvote 1

Are we really at the point to where we now think we can blow out most of CUSA? I expect most of, if not all of the CUSA games to be dogfights...particularly the ones on the road.

Yah... most of them. Uh huh. Middle Tennessee, Rice and UTSA will be tougher... but please... we have to really play like poop to lose the others. Except Tulsa. Ive already marked "L". Lookin real tough...

Edited by SSP
  • Downvote 3

Yah... most of them. Uh huh. Middle Tennessee, Rice and UTSA will be tougher... but please... we have to really play like poop to lose the others. Except Tulsa. Ive already marked "L". Lookin real tough...

Fair enough. I think we have a good chance to win most of them, I just don't see any of the remaining road games being blow out wins for us.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't underestimate or overestimate much at this point.

So.......one game at time? Haha. I'm just along for the ride. Would love to see us romp through conference like the early golden days of the Sun Belt (what was it 26 straight conference wins?), I'm just not about to expect it. Too many crazy things happen in college football these days. Just look at all the FCS upsets this year. I will, however, go bonkers after every win and break the DMAC 24 hour rule every time.

I wouldn't call any game from here on out easy. Winnable yes, but easy no. This team is growing, but there is still lots of room for improvement. Other teams on our schedule still can improve too. We still need to prove we can win on the road, not just play 3 quarters. Plus it's not like we will be under estimated now. We put people on notice that we come to play hard so expect to get good shots from a lot of teams. Again never under estimate how hard it is to win a road conf game. I think the upsets in recent years answer that point.

MTSU is too high in my opinion as well. One thing is to respect a team/program and another is to rank them too high. I think ECU and Marshall are at the top along with Rice. After those three, I really don't know. My gut tells me the middle of the pack would be us, MTSU and most likely Tulsa. However, my bias tells me we are right up there at the top...but that will only happen if we play well consistently, which is something we still struggle with.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Glad to see you are doing this. UTEP is a bit high for my taste, I was neither impressed by their wins nor by their losses, and saw quite a bit of those games. FAU on the other hand I'd have a bit higher. Yes the record may not look awesome, but they went to overtime with MTSU (which you are high on) and looked pretty competitive against ECU too, and throttled USF (not a big deal this year, but gotta take care of buisness).

I ranked them using a mix of potential and resume and very recent history. Wins over FCS teams don't mean much to me. Losses to FCS teams do. With so much variance in level of competition played, the early polls will be a bit wild.

As far as Tulsa's spot -- I gave them some demerits for losing badly at Bowling Green; they were 2.5 point underdogs and lost by 27. Also, OU beat them by 31 when the spread was 22.5. All that is to say they are playing slightly worse than expected (just slightly) and the teams above them have been more impressive (to me, obvi).

1. ECU

2. Marshall

3. MTSU

4. Rice

5. North Texas

6. UTSA

7. FAU

8. Tulane

9. Tulsa

10. UAB

11. LaTech

12. UTEP

13. Southern Miss

Worse than 14. FIU

I'm just still not as down on Tulsa as everyone else may be.

1/2. ECU/Marshall

3. Rice

4/5. NT/MT

6. Tulsa

7. UTSA

8. FAU

9. UAB

10. Tulane

11. LaTech

12. UTEP

13. Southern Miss

14. FIU

I'm just still not as down on Tulsa as everyone else may be.

1/2. ECU/Marshall

3. Rice

4/5. NT/MT

6. Tulsa

7. UTSA

8. FAU

9. UAB

10. Tulane

11. LaTech

12. UTEP

13. Southern Miss

14. FIU

I'm not down on Tulsa at all. I expect it to be a very short time until they show a whole lot more than they have shown to this point.

But the fact is, power rankings are based on what teams have shown during the season, especially in recent games. And Tulsa hasn't shown squat yet.

I'm not down on Tulsa at all. I expect it to be a very short time until they show a whole lot more than they have shown to this point.

But the fact is, power rankings are based on what teams have shown during the season, especially in recent games. And Tulsa hasn't shown squat yet.

Rice hasnt either. They are still getting credit from last year.

Rice hasnt either. They are still getting credit from last year.

To a degree. But they gave A&M a respectable game that had people talking about them, beat a weak Big XII team, and had a close game with Houston. That's a whole lot better than losing 34-7 to Bowling Green, beating a terrible Colorado State team, and losing to OU 51-20 in a game that was over well before halftime.

• Upvote 1

To a degree. But they gave A&M a respectable game that had people talking about them, beat a weak Big XII team, and had a close game with Houston. That's a whole lot better than losing 34-7 to Bowling Green, beating a terrible Colorado State team, and losing to OU 51-20 in a game that was over well before halftime.

I went to the uh vs rice game, and a blocked fg for a td made it closer than it looked. They lost to a true freshman QB and uh doesn't look to be too strong. Offense was not good.

I also watched the Kansas game on TV. Two bad looking teams. It was not a good defensive game like the score would indicate. It was a close game between two horrible and slow offenses.

They are getting props for the A&m game, but j football only played a quarters and 5 minutes. But I'm sure there are some that will still be impressed by that Rice showing, but dismiss what UNT did at Georgia.

Like last year, rice has some bad teams they can beat up on and get it going. If they can beat Tulsa in 2 weeks they can probably be on a 5 game winning streak and should have most of the people on this forum scared as h3ll by the time they come to apogee.

• Upvote 1