The "Sleeping Giant" stirred a little yesterday - Why this bow

TheColonyEagle

Your entitled to your opinion but I don't understand why you feel this way and can't separate the difference between a win of a winnable game (Ohio) and a close loss of a game no one had given us a whisper of a chance to even survive the first quarter in (Georgia). What about the future? Doesn't it make you excited for the future and what these coaches might be able to build here? It does me.

If nothing else here is something I took away from this game.

With 3:45 to go in a game which we were expected to lose by 36 1/2 points we had played the 9th ranked team to a 14 point game till this field goal.

I have been to many if not most of the body bag games over the course of the past 29 years. I can attest that with the game under 4 minutes to go have I rarely ever witnessed our defense STOP all the starters of a top 10 team's offense on our own 27 yard line and force a field goal. Usually by that time in these games our defense has been completely worn down and had given up. Not this time. Afterwards, they didn't come off the field relieved or happy that it was finally about to be over. They came off the field screaming and pissed off at each other because they had just given up 3 points with 3:45 to go...basically sealing our fate.

For me, that defensive stand was a point of importance in behavior and attitude change displayed by this team that I would hope most noticed and realized that things are looking up. No one is happy about a loss, but considering how poor we have been recently, it's a great sign of things to come.....SOMETHING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT.

Regardless of the score it shows that even coach Dodge's players were in fact capable of being very good once placed in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

By the way, yes, this was a close loss..(should have been 17 instead of 24)... because I dismiss the last garbage TD due to the fact that our size and depth at that point had finally caught up to us and the fact we didn't even have all of our starters in the game there. I'm guessing here, but I think our coaches must have thought that Richt would sit on the ball with 2 minutes to go and he didn't. Sarge was on the bench. He was spent...done. Fought his ass off the whole game, and Georgia slipped around his side and ran it down to the 1 on a single busted play. That's what we get for hesitating I guess, but I just don't think we expected it. Lesson learned.

Rick

I simply refer you back to the K. St. game last year. Much closer against a comparable opponent.

And we ended up 4-7.

These games only matter if you win them or keep it to within one score. Otherwise, they are fun, and that's it. We lost by 24. That is nothing to get excited about. Neither is a schitzo offense or a defense that gave up 650 total yards.

Again, I'm excited by the Ball St comeback win, not by a game whose outcome was never really in doubt (did anyone really think we were going to score on special teams a 3rd time??)

Tulane will tell the tale. Blow them out. On the road.

That would be exciting.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Perception is reality." - Axioms of Truth.

CBS Channel 11 News, ABC Channel 8 News, and NBC Channel 5 News all gave huge props to "The Mean Green of North Texas" last night. Every sports anchor made a big deal about our performance in the game against Georgia. And every one of them showed the highlights of us scoring all three touchdowns against UGA. NBC gave us the lions share of the sports coverage. CBS and ABC gave us equal coverage time in relation to UT-Austin, TTU, and TAMU. Each anchor said phrases like, "What's happening up in Denton" and "Go Mean Green". It was the most coverage I have ever seen UNT receive from all the local newscasts on a College Football Saturday night.

On ESPN, after the UT-Austin and KSU game, the ESPN anchor said, "Georgia survives North Texas" as he began the recap of the game. It was great to see all the positve and respectfull coverage. It was obvious that the local sports anchors were genuinely excited about reporting on how well our team did.

Because of our huge and respected RTVF program, we have alot of alumni that work in all areas of the media. And they are part of "The Sleeping Giant." And they are hungry to report on a winning Mean Green Football program.

In order for one to move forward, one has to buy into the future. He who lives on the past, dies looking backwards.

The paradigm shift in perception for our university to grow now and in the future is: We are THE University of North Texas.

As the people believe, the giant awakes.

I agree. Perception is reality. Crap our pants against Tulane, and all that positive coverage of a 24 point loss is down the tubes.

What this shows more than anything is that those who regularly whine a out a lack of media attention just don't understand that there are a VAST amount of UNT grads in the local radio and television sports scene just DYING to report anything remotely positive about UNT athletics.

There just has t been anything positive to report.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I simply refer you back to the K. St. game last year. Much closer against a comparable opponent.

And we ended up 4-7.

These games only matter if you win them or keep it to within one score. Otherwise, they are fun, and that's it. We lost by 24. That is nothing to get excited about. Neither is a schitzo offense or a defense that gave up 650 total yards.

Again, I'm excited by the Ball St comeback win, not by a game whose outcome was never really in doubt (did anyone really think we were going to score on special teams a 3rd time??)

That would be exciting.

So since you got nothing out of the UGA game,.. you basically then were the only living soul in the universe who was banking on a win.

That's amazing.

Rick

• Upvote 1

So since you got nothing out of the UGA game,.. you basically then were the only living soul in the universe who was banking on a win.

That's amazing.

Rick

No, I was expecting a blowout loss, and in the end, that's what I got.

Of course I was excited with 9 minutes left in the 3rd and the game tied. Unfortunately, football is a 60 minute game, not a 36 minute game.

Those last 24 minutes were pure Georgia domination.

That doesn't excite me.

• Downvote 1

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. However in the context of my original post.....my point was surrounding what this program needs.

This program needs attention. Positive attention. Some "cool."

I don't think anyone on here (including me) is happy with getting beat 45-21. That's not the point.

The point is, halfway through the 3rd quarter of our game against the #9 team in the nation, UNT got more positive attention than it has in a long time. I would argue as much if not more positive attention than what we were getting during our bowl run a few years ago.

We gained some legitimacy on Saturday in the eyes of many that ignore us and don't take us seriously. One thing to consider.....most in the national media don't pay attention when we blow out Idaho. But they perk their ears up when they see we're hanging with GA for most of the game. And the message got out like wild fire.

The speed of today's information with social media is an advantage for a program like ours. (provided we perform)

Look at FFR's post about our #1 AA ranking in 1988. Had ESPN had 12 channels, Fox college this, CBS College that, facebook, twitter, etc back then...UNT would have been a bigger story.

ESPN Gameday was at freaking North Dakota State on Saturday. There are more opportunities to shine a light on our program if we show something on the field. And we showed something on Saturday.

Despite the final score, we finally looked like we belonged on the field with a big boy. That does wonders for our image.

And like I said....now if we go 6-2 or 7-1 or hell, 8-0 in conference. It will be followed up with, "they're pretty good.....they went toe to toe with GA." instead of "they don't play anybody" which followed us around in the sunbelt days. Combine that with a 6 point loss to one half of the MAC championship and a win against the other half. We have some college football "street cred" now.

But

Given what we've seen the past several years....we have every right to be skeptical.

However there are a whole new set of eyes on the program now. And it's because of how we played in the first 40 minutes of that game on Saturday.

We've seen good play on the field with no attention.

We've seen the ability to get attention grow since then.

Now we have an opportunity to combine the two.

That doesn't erase the fact that we still have to take care of business in New Orleans in 2 weeks.

We lay an egg vs Tulane then of course, the positives from the GA game vanish as fast as #3 headed for the endzone....

If we beat Tulane then lose to MTSU at home.....it goes away as well.

That's what makes it so nerve racking.

And so much fun...

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4

No, I was expecting a blowout loss, and in the end, that's what I got.

Of course I was excited with 9 minutes left in the 3rd and the game tied. Unfortunately, football is a 60 minute game, not a 36 minute game.

Those last 24 minutes were pure Georgia domination.

That doesn't excite me.

I'm thankful that the media world disagrees with you about the pure domination thing. So far I haven't read one report about ..."Same Ol' Norh Texas... gets paid and blown out as expected".

That alone excites me,... who you certainly know has been a loud voice for higher expectations from all involved.

Rick

• Upvote 2

And we ended up 4-7.

That would be exciting.

You're a smart guy. I can tell. So I know you're 'simply' making this comparison just to be difficult because you saw the differences.

That K-State game was one where our offense kept theirs off of the field by chewing up clock with the running game. It worked against K-State (if they didn't have Arthur Brown, it may have worked even better). TOP was completely lopsided in UNT's favor. The score was so close because K-State's offense was barely on the field. When they were, it was quick strike after quick strike. Very few punts from K-State (actually, going back and looking at stats on this game, UNT forced them to punt on their first 2 possessions. After that, no more K-State punts for the remainder of the game).

That gameplan would have failed miserably against Georgia on Saturday. Instead, the Mean Green came out executing (for the most part) a balanced attack. The running game was not working, or, coupled with the special teams points, the outcome would have been totally different and we would be celebrating a win. TOP was in favor of Georgia. UNT's defense was actually holding Georgia to punts throughout the game. Can't block a punt for a TD unless your defense forces them to punt.

And you mean to say that halfway through the 3rd quarter you had no doubts that UNT couldn't pull this thing off? If so, you're lying, or you're Nostradamus2.0 UNT was hanging with Georgia... and not in a gimmicky way by owning the clock like the K-State game.

I know you saw some things to be optimistic about. You've alluded to it already.

I understand you don't want to get too excited. I don't really want to either. One game at a time is a must. Looking ahead to Marshall or ECU for the C-USA championship is stupid. Looking past Tulane for our home game VS MT is just as stupid.

UNT cannot lay an egg VS Tulane. Plain and simple. But do the come-from-behind win VS Ball St. and the Georgia game nuggets make you think UNT is going to lose? C'Mon 90... Get happy!

If the defense shores up coverage and doesn't get beat with the long-ball over and over, and this new-&-improved DT sticks around, I will say UNT wins in similar fashion to the Idaho game in 2 weeks. There's blood in the water in New Orleans. Not so much in Athens (GA or OH).

I'm thankful that the media world disagrees with you about the pure domination thing. So far I haven't read one report about ..."Same Ol' Norh Texas... gets paid and blown out as expected".

That alone excites me,... who you certainly know has been a loud voice for higher expectations from all involved.

Rick

I gotta say, I like the optimistic FFR much more than the scorched-earth FFR! :lol:

You're a smart guy. I can tell. So I know you're 'simply' making this comparison just to be difficult because you saw the differences.

That K-State game was one where our offense kept theirs off of the field by chewing up clock with the running game. It worked against K-State (if they didn't have Arthur Brown, it may have worked even better). TOP was completely lopsided in UNT's favor. The score was so close because K-State's offense was barely on the field. When they were, it was quick strike after quick strike. Very few punts from K-State (actually, going back and looking at stats on this game, UNT forced them to punt on their first 2 possessions. After that, no more K-State punts for the remainder of the game).

That gameplan would have failed miserably against Georgia on Saturday. Instead, the Mean Green came out executing (for the most part) a balanced attack. The running game was not working, or, coupled with the special teams points, the outcome would have been totally different and we would be celebrating a win. TOP was in favor of Georgia. UNT's defense was actually holding Georgia to punts throughout the game. Can't block a punt for a TD unless your defense forces them to punt.

And you mean to say that halfway through the 3rd quarter you had no doubts that UNT couldn't pull this thing off? If so, you're lying, or you're Nostradamus2.0 UNT was hanging with Georgia... and not in a gimmicky way by owning the clock like the K-State game.

I know you saw some things to be optimistic about. You've alluded to it already.

I understand you don't want to get too excited. I don't really want to either. One game at a time is a must. Looking ahead to Marshall or ECU for the C-USA championship is stupid. Looking past Tulane for our home game VS MT is just as stupid.

UNT cannot lay an egg VS Tulane. Plain and simple. But do the come-from-behind win VS Ball St. and the Georgia game nuggets make you think UNT is going to lose? C'Mon 90... Get happy!

If the defense shores up coverage and doesn't get beat with the long-ball over and over, and this new-&-improved DT sticks around, I will say UNT wins in similar fashion to the Idaho game in 2 weeks. There's blood in the water in New Orleans. Not so much in Athens (GA or OH).

I don't agree with your evaluation of the offense. At all. We were terrible offensively all game long and again. Tried to bang our heads against a nine man front on 1st down most of the 1st half.

Again, Ball St. excites me. A 24 point loss to Georgia doesn't.

One game at a time.

Prove you can win on the road.

A clock-chewing running game is a gimmick? Hmmm.

Poor word choice. Sorry. It was a solid game-plan for that game. It was not our normal offense.

All I'm saying is that the same game-plan would not have worked VS Georgia. We had to line up and play our normal offensive scheme against them. Obviously, the running game was not working. As a matter of fact, we got the quick-tempo offense going. Gotta give DT some credit, he had the passing game working, and kept the chains moving quite a bit. He missed some key passes (mainly the two to Marcus Smith), but he also had a few dropped on him (Darnell Smith). I'm not seeing anyone clamoring for coach Canales to lose his job again this week, so the play-calling must have been pretty good?

• Upvote 1

There have been numerous debates on here for years on what the challenge is for this program: coaching, budget, recruiting, attendance, wins, etc. etc. I think the biggest challenge this program has is perception. And even though the end result in Athens, GA yesterday wasn't what we began to hope for....the program took a big step in helping with our biggest challenge.

UNT already has the cards stacked against it given this location. What helps us (being in Texas, DFW, hot bed for recruiting) also hurts us (now 12 FBS programs in TX, 3 within 30 miles, old SWC focus, big 12 bias). Oh yeah and a loooong history of irrelevance in football. (apologies to the Hayden Fry fan club) We've heard the term "sleeping giant" thrown out. Some roll their eyes at it, others hold out hope that it will rise. What I noticed yesterday as we were tied 21-21 halfway through the 3rd quarter with the SEC East preseason favorite, is what I believe is a pent up ground swell of potential buzz around this program.

I started looking around twitter at this time to see what was out there. Now I'm not a big twitter guy...I follow mostly sports media and probably check it once a week or so. But I saw mean green buzz like I've never seen.

Corby Davidson tweeted about The Mean Green. Bill Jones. Sean Bass. Tim MacMahon. Chris Fowler. (yes ESPN Gameday Chris Fowler....and his tweet was an apology for the NTSU mess up. someone called him out) Greg Williams. Keith Whitmire. Brett McMurphy. Etc. Etc. Local media as well as national media. Harry posted several twitter snap shots as well. The Mean Green all the sudden became......"cool" with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter of a "body bag" game. They started trending. This morning, I searched the headlines:

"Georgia pulls away to avoid upset vs. North Texas"

"N. Texas hangs tough, but falls to No. 9 Georgia"

"Georgia defeats North Texas in a tough one"

"Georgia rallies against gritty North Texas"

"Georgia forced to pull away later than hoped"

Now they weren't all in that vain but what headlines like that do for our program is add some relevance. Regardless of the final score, those headlines shine a positive light on the program. WE NEED A LIGHT SHINED.

What this program needs is some "cool." And you become cool in college football by getting your name mentioned on twitter and on ESPN. Why is that important? That depends on your definition of "sleeping giant." Our sleeping giant is the 100K+ alumni and 36K+ students in this area. SMU doesn't have that. TCU doesn't have that. They can't. We already have that. All we need now is to improve our perception. And the sleeping giant that stirred oh so gently yesterday may just open its eyes. All around the metroplex yesterday as twitter blew up, this sleeping giant said, "man...UNT is hanging tough with GA." "Hey, what's going on with UNT?" "Hey...I went to UNT!"

At 2-2 with every game left on the schedule winnable, what a tied score in the second half at #9 GA does is puts an eye slightly up I35. If we beat Tulane, it won't be, "Tulane sucks." It will be "hey, UNT's pretty good.....they went toe to toe with GA." If we take care of business in NO and come back to what will be the largest crowd of the season and beat a good MTSU team.....it will be "UNT is 4-2....headed toward a bowl." It won't be "they don't play anyone." Every win will be followed by "They went toe to toe with Georgia." That combined with the increased ease of getting the message out is the difference between our previous bowl run and this one. And make no mistake....we are in a bowl run. Get on board. I fully expect this team to beat Tulane. With these players and this staff.....we should.

Monday at work....you will hear non-UNT grads congratulate you. You will hear "man ya'll looked good on Saturday, Ya'll gave them a game." And the grads you do work with, that have been cowering in the corner for years will start to pick their head up a little bit...might even read an article on their alma mater....the crazy ones might dust off that green pennant that's been in their closet.

What happened halfway through the 3rd quarter is our perception improved. And the message got out quickly. We have a real D1 coaching staff. A team that believes in one another and a preemptive light shined on UNT. Now if we do what this team is capable of doing, we will continue to improve our media position (social and otherwise)

People that are associated with UNT in some form or fashion heard about UNT yesterday. And they were able to be proud. What may seem like a small step was actually a big one.

FINALLY!!! Yes, in the recent past, this would have been a 60-7 blowout. I've personally been to a few of those in Austin and Norman. I wish I could have seen this game though. Seems like now that we are on TV more, it's more difficult to actually watch the game if you aren't in the DFW area (nothing on the net). Maybe that won't be the case later in the season. In any case, it's fantastic to see my Mean Green win some, or in this case, hang tough with some quality opponents. I'll actually get to see the last 2 games of the regular season live in person and am very much looking forward to that. I hope this is just a preview of good things to come. GMG!