Behind Enemy Bylines: North Texas' Tim Cato

Harry

CB: Akron almost upset Michigan last weekend. Does that instill belief that a North Texas can beat Georgia, since we just saw a mid-major almost bring down a BCS program?

TC: Nothing's impossible and this is the deepest, most talented team for UNT since its run of four straight bowl games in 2001 to 2004. But no, my best case scenario is to keep it competitive in the first half and to not lose by more than a couple touchdowns. Beating Georgia just doesn't seem probable.

CB: North Texas joined Conference-USA this season. How well do you think North Texas will do in its new conference?

TC: Conference USA is a huge step up from the Sun Belt, even if the increase in actual talent level isn't as much as people might think. UNT's not a powerhouse in the new conference, but they should be able to reach six wins and a bowl game this season.

Read more: http://www.redandblack.com/sports/behind-enemy-bylines-north-texas/article_3cd1b2f2-2196-11e3-a21f-0019bb30f31a.html

He may just have expected more big runs, as did I. But having a decent running game (not as good as we've seen in the past but definitely not bad) combined with a much better passing game is definitely acceptable. Derek's good runs, should they continue, have added a pretty sweet little wrinkle to our offense. I think if the run efficiency from the backs increased by about an average of only 1 yard per rush, it would help a lot. Look at the shorter runs and the situations we were in after any given down with a running play and I think you'd probably agree.

• Upvote 1

Were you one of those people that left at halftime vs. ball state?

nah.

They were able to bust a few long runs, but what about the previous five halves? It might just take some more time. I like Pegram as the third back way more than Brown. I'd be surprised if they're able to run on Georgia, though.

• Upvote 3

All of Dodge's teams could have been pretty awesome with better coaching, especially in terms of defense. His recruitment was pretty decent too. But I think Mac is getting things to gel and the turnaround seems to be in progress more visibly now than before. Onward and upward, baby! #hit6

nah.

They were able to bust a few long runs, but what about the previous five halves? It might just take some more time. I like Pegram as the third back way more than Brown. I'd be surprised if they're able to run on Georgia, though.

Ball State 2nd half should be eye popping to anyone interested in game film. For the first time in a while, coaches will have to gameplan against our TEs, 3+ WRs making catches, RBs running through holes and a QB mobile when necessary.

Georgia may or may not tell us much, but I suspect the rest of the season we might see defenses be not-so-focused on our running backs.

• Upvote 2

In think you won't be able to use the same run first game plan against Georgia. You're going to have to mix in some passing to keep them off balance. If we can somehow consistently get 2-3 yards against Georgia on the ground it could get VERY interesting but I agree with Tim that unlikely to happen.

realistic goals for this game:

No or few turnovers

Some first downs in the first half

A closer score at half...don't allow another university of Houston nightmare where the game is over in the 1st quarter

A sack

An interception

Just solid special teams ...don't give up a 100 yard return.

Biggest goal of the game -- no injuries and don't give up a touchdown on the first play.