Heavily favored Georgia wary of underdog North Texas

Harry

ATHENS — On an early-season schedule that is as rugged as any in college football, this is the one that has romp written it all over it for Georgia.

Nobody will confuse North Texas with the top-10 teams the preceded it on the Bulldogs’ slate (Clemson and South Carolina) or will follow next week (LSU).

The Mean Green is a 32½-point underdog. That’s actually less than the 37 points Michigan was favored to beat Akron by last week.

The Zips nearly went all Appalachian-State-circa-2007 on the Wolverines, who thwarted a pass attempt at the end zone on the game’s last play to avoid a shocker like the one six years earlier.

Richt brought up that Michigan game to reporters when game week started.

“I don’t know what their mindset was going into the game, but I know what it was I’m sure when the game was over,” Richt said. “Everybody needs to line up and get ready to play ball.”

That’s the same message he delivered early this week to his players when he used that game as an example.

“I’ll probably mention it to them again before it’s over,” he said after practice Wednesday.

Georgia had last weekend off, so there’s some sentiment just to get back on the field and pick up where it left off after the crucial win against South Carolina that avoided an 0-2 start to the season.

“It’s hard having a bye week when you’re feeling good, so we’re excited to get back out there and play another game right now,” quarterback Aaron Murray said. “I could care less who we’re playing. We’re just excited to get out there and play.”

Read more: http://savannahnow.com/sports/2013-09-19/heavily-favored-georgia-wary-underdog-north-texas#.Ujt6ehD4KXc

Man I thought the same thing. You wonder why fewer fans are willing to make these types of trip.

I guess that's what we get for playing a "bodybag" game or two every season for the last 30-35 years. Teams seem to somehow know in advance that they're going to be in the top ten the year that they are scheduled to play us. We never seem to catch the big programs on an off year.

That record against ranked opponents is by far the worst blotch in our record book. We've got to do something about that, and quick.

I did not even realize that our mark against ranked bad guys was that bad. I'm too embarrassed to even share that with the other Mean Green fans in the room with me right now.

I guess that's what we get for playing a "bodybag" game or two every season for the last 30-35 years. Teams seem to somehow know in advance that they're going to be in the top ten the year that they are scheduled to play us. We never seem to catch the big programs on an off year.

I was thinking about that again today...Tennessee hasn't been too hot lately, and after the beating they took against Oregon, I think it could be a tight game if we played them this year. But it's 2 years away...big programs don't usually stay down for more than a year or so.

Back to the topic though...I kind of wish they WOULD overlook us. We'd have a better chance if they expected nothing and we surprised them in the first half, making THEM scramble to catch up for once. I think that's one of the few benefits of playing a power opponent the first week of the season...if your team and coaching really is heavily improved over the previous season, the first team you play could get caught by surprise. Not that that's worked out so well for us, mind you...but it does happen occasionally...