UNT's Stone Cold Steve Austin

Harry

Austin knows a little something about college football, too. Under his given name Steve Williams, Austin played at North Texas in the 1980s. In fact, one of Austin’s earliest professional wrestling characters was that of a two-sport athlete. He would use a green-and-white (colors of UNT) helmet and spear opponents in the Dallas-based World Class Championship Wrestling organization.

Austin is one in a line of numerous former college football players to make the transition to pro wrestling, including former Colorado Buffalo and Los Angeles Ram offensive lineman Leon “Vader” White, Florida State Seminoles All-American Ron Simmons and Austin’s one-time tag team partner Brian Pillman, who played at Miami (OH).

In fact, Austin’s most famous wrestling rivalry was against The Rock, perhaps the most notable football-to-wrestling star. Dwayne Johnson was on the defensive line of the feared Miami Hurricanes of the early 1990s, including The U’s 1991 national championship team.

Read more: http://saturdayblitz.com/2013/09/07/stone-cold-steve-austin-sounds-georgia-vs-south-carolina/

• 7 years later...
On 9/17/2013 at 7:26 PM, GrandGreen said:

Steve was much more fearsome in the ring or movies, then he every was on the football field.

Watching the A&E special on wrestlers, I was confused on why I felt so comfortable listening to Steve talk about things.  Just tonight on the Mic Foley A&E I learned Steve went to NTSU.  That explains so much to me.  He is exactly like the people I hung out with.  He’s a hero because the deck was stacked against us, but we always got back up when people like you knocked us down.  

• Upvote 3